Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just my opinion, I don't think he likes playing for JB. Let's face it, if he did, he would not be doing this. And second, the moment we got Jimmy, which was really done a long time ago, Q wasn't coming back. There just wouldn't be the minutes for 4 forwards. Ask Newton.
You really believe that?

If there was a known possibility he’d return? Yes. Wait until we know he’s not then take Jimmy.

Of course there’s always the possibility Q told them straight up he’s not coming back in the first place. Whether it was known he’d enter the portal or not rather than just seek the pros who knows.

It’s very difficult to give the staff the benefit of the doubt right now. I will try. Obviously im biased as Q was my favorite player.

It’d help if one of the incoming transfers could be trusted to replace his physicality. But I do not see that.
That’s not fair to Junior.

Q is a better player than Cole and JBJR. It’s an absurdity to think otherwise.

We don't know that Guerrier is better than Swider. Cole Swider is bigger and shoots significantly better. His weaknesses in the pressure man defense Villanova plays caused him to lose playing time, but even being bad at their defense he played 20mpg and was an effective offensive player. Swider's defensive trouble may be minimized here.

If Swider can play 30 minutes of good defense with great shooting, we may be saying "Quincy who?!" by January.

JBJ is a depth player brought in because of the losses of Ajok and Griffin, Swider is the guy who should be compared to Guerrier.

We don't really know what their relative defensive games will look like, but we can probably stipulate that Guerrier would be better in his third season than Swider in his first. Let's look at measurable stats.

First let's look at size. Swider is listed at 6'9 and 225 lbs. Guerrier is 6'7"and 220. I don't trust any measurable until I see the NBA combine measurements, but let's assume Swider is a little bigger. If you can't trust ht and wt, I won't even try to find things like verticle, arm length, lateral 3 cone quickness, etc... But Guerrier looks more athletic when he's not injured. Swider has a lumbering effectiveness but doesn't seem super fast twitch.

All numbers referenced are conference per 40 minute numbers to try and get the best comparison on time played and quality of competition (this being a rare year where the Big East is comparable to the ACC... Arguably).

Swider averaged 11 points on 8.6 shots and 1.3 ft, shooting 42.2% overall and 38.8% from 3pt. 6.6 rebounds 2.6 assists 1.1 turnovers. 1.1 steals .1 blocks and 2.4 fouls committed.

Guerrier averaged 16 points on 13.8 shots and 3.6 ft, shooting 45.8% overall and 23.8% from 3pt. 10 rebounds 1.1 assists 1.2 turnovers. 1.1 steals 1.6 blocks and 3.1 fouls committed.

So... You are trading for a very different type of player.

Cole Swider is a good passing three point shooter who is acceptable but not stellar on the boards, who gets his steals but blocks no shots.

Quincy Guerrier is a very good rebounder who you don't want shooting from 3 as a primary option, but who is effective close to the basket. He is turnover prone, gets his steals and blocks a good number of shots.

The complexion of the team will be very different with Swider and Williams playing the forwards, with a huge stylistic difference between Guerrier and Swider. I don't think it's a huge drop off between them.

With the General's write-up on Williams being a good to great shooter, the team will be more effective but more reliant on 3pt shooting than last year.

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me is the fact adding Jimmy Jr. is going to force JB to play a deeper rotation at forward and Quincy would have gotten less minutes next year just because JB would only change because the extra player is his son.

That crap ticks me off a lot. JB shouldn’t get a pass for that and should be HAMMERED for his obvious double standard.

The program should be trying to win a conference title and contend for a NC not be mediocre and hope for March sweet 16 runs.

Good luck to Quincy. Why stay here?
You’ve said recently that JB earned the right to coach his sons. What changed?

We don't know that Guerrier is better than Swider. Cole Swider is bigger and shoots significantly better. His weaknesses in the pressure man defense Villanova plays caused him to lose playing time, but even being bad at their defense he played 20mpg and was an effective offensive player. Swider's defensive trouble may be minimized here.

If Swider can play 30 minutes of good defense with great shooting, we may be saying "Quincy who?!" by January.

JBJ is a depth player brought in because of the losses of Ajok and Griffin, Swider is the guy who works be compared to Guerrier.

We don't really know what their relative defensive games will look like, but we can probably stipulate that Guerrier would be better in his third season than Swider in his first. Let's look at measurable stats.

First let's look at size. Swider is listed at 6'9 and 225 lbs. Guerrier is 6'7"and 220. I don't trust any measurable until I see the NBA combine measurements, but let's assume Swider is a little bigger. If you can't trust ht and wt, I won't even try to find things like verticle, arm length, lateral 3 come quickness, etc... But Guerrier looks more athletic when he's not injured. Swider has a lumbering effectiveness but doesn't seem super fast twitch.

All numbers referenced are conference per 40 minute numbers to try and get the best comparison on time played and quality of competition (this being a rare year where the Big East is comparable to the ACC... Arguably).

Swider averaged 11 points on 8.6 shots and 1.3 ft, shooting 42.2% overall and 38.8% from 3pt. 6.6 rebounds 2.6 assists 1.1 turnovers. 1.1 steals .1 blocks and 2.4 fouls committed.

Guerrier averaged 16 points on 13.8 shots and 5.6 ft, shooting 45.8% overall and 23.8% from 3pt. 10 rebounds 1.1 assists 1.2 turnovers. 1.1 steals 1.6 blocks and 3.1 fouls committed.

So... You are trading for a very different type of player.

Cole Swider is a good passing three point shooter who is acceptable but not stellar on the boards, who gets his steals but blocks no shots.

Quincy Guerrier is a very good rebounder who you don't want shooting from 3 as a primary option, but who is effective close to the basket. He is turnover prone, gets his steals and blocks a good number of shots.

The complexion of the team will be very different with Swider and Williams playing the forwards, with a huge stylistic difference between Guerrier and Swider. I don't think it's a huge drop off between them.

With the General's write-up on Williams being a good to great shooter, the team will be more effective but more reliant on 3pt shooting than last year.
How is Q turnover prone but Swider isn’t?

You really believe that?
I'm not sure. But most people stay where they like their boss or coach. The #1 reason for leaving is that they don't. Now, he made a decision and things changed here after he did. that could be a big factor. Or the reason could just be obvious. One thing is for certain, he didn't leave because he wasn't playing.

Oh my gawd. I go away for the day and come back to this?? Jeezus Cxst, Boeheim. Just when I was getting over Jim for the whole Kadary debacle, then this. What the hell. Boeheim is managing his team like a rookie blinded from reality. I'm tired of the old man. Just tired of it all.

How is Q turnover prone but Swider isn’t?

Assists to turnover ratio. A proxy for being turnover prone, and one area where Swider was much better.

Oh my gawd. I go away for the day and come back to this?? Jeezus Cxst, Boeheim. Just when I was getting over Jim for the whole Kadary debacle, then this. What the hell. Boeheim is managing his team like a rookie blinded from reality. I'm tired of the old man. Just tired of it all.
Nothing changed from when you went away. Q was gone then and he is gone now. We just know for 100% certain now.

If that was what you were thinking, my good friend OTTO must be wrong.
sad walking away.gif

Nothing changed from when you went away. Q was gone then and he is gone now. We just know for 100% certain now.
I understand that Dash, from someone who knows what's going on. However, for him gone to the portal and not the NBA, come the fck on. Totally inexcusable.

His former prep coach and longtime mentor Ibrahim Appiah described Guerrier’s reasons for entering the transfer portal as “personal.”

Syracuse next season will have 5-star 2021 recruit Benny Williams, plus transfers Cole Swider and Jimmy Boeheim at the forward spots. Appiah was asked whether the current Orange forward situation factored into Guerrier’s decision to look elsewhere.

“I don’t think that’s something he really wants to get into the details. He assessed it, he thought about it and he just came with the decision. As far as the particular reason, I guess that’s just unnecessary details,” Appiah said in an evening phone conversation. “I kind of feel bad jumping in and answering that for him. I know he wants to keep it personal at the moment because it wasn’t an easy decision for him to make.”

Actually, counselor, I'm not sure that's true.

NOTE – Jimmy Boeheim played three years at Cornell and has one season of college eligibility left. The NCAA awarded everybody a free Covid year to compensate for the disruptions of 2020-21, but because Cornell did not play at all last season, that free year does not apply to Cornell athletes, he said.
The poster I was responding to said Jimmy had 2 more years. Which was my point and was saying people saying otherwise had it wrong.

Stop it. They can only report what he is willing to tell them. Do you think they can call him in and grill him? He saw the Orange go out an get two replacements. He knew Benny would be here. Suddenly, we weren't a good fit for him. If he didn't put his name in the draft, this wouldn't have happened. If he stays in the draft and we don't bring in forwards, can you imagine what YOU would be saying then? Everyone knew he was going pro, how could jb not be prepared for this? I wish he was coming back. But when he put his name in the draft, and we replaced him with two good players, he was never coming back. I was worried he would enter the portal and transfer because I don't see him getting drafted but time will tell.
Stop it nothing. What is wrong with the media doing some reporting and finding out from a source what really happened? Why would you rather rely on the imaginations of messageboard posters? There are plenty of minutes available for Q, we don’t have anyone on the roster who can board with him. I’d like the media to do their best to let us know what caused him to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom