Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devils advocate response.

Quincy wanted to explore his professional options with respect to the NBA. His timetable didn't line up with Syracuse's vis a vis recruiting, so the coaching staff actively went out and recruited two frontcourt players [Swider / Jimmy] before Guerrier's final decision came down. I think it's one of those damned if you do / damned if you don't situations for the staff -- if they don't bring in quality replacements because they wait to long, they're left holding the bag. And if they act swiftly and strike while the iron is hot, then they "push" Guerrier out. Unfortunate situation, with the timing, IMO.

He could certainly have chosen to return, because as you point out he would have been a returning starter. But he also might have felt that the team is structured about Buddy getting shots, and that might not have enabled him to be featured in an advantageous way.

Quincy is also a helluva college player, whether he eventually emerges as a legitimate NBA prospect or not. But there will be high major interest if he actively pursues a change of scenery -- make no mistake about that.

Agree with your last sentence - but - how would a coach look at him (like JB does) and just let him play the audition for the NBA game to the detriment of the team?

Agree with your last sentence - but - how would a coach look at him (like JB does) and just let him play the audition for the NBA game to the detriment of the team?

Is it a given that's what Guerrier is going to do?

I think it is more like, you bring Quincy in because he's a proven commodity.

Is it a given that's what Guerrier is going to do?

I think it is more like, you bring Quincy in because he's a proven commodity.

I would think QG would want to show NBA range. Not sure that's what a coach would want him to do on the court, but I guess that isn't for us anymore.

I don't know if any program will take him just to say play in the spot you want, the way you want, even if you don't have the skill for it. He should try to follow the Oshae route and improve his game outside of a college environment unless a school will give him free rein to play the way he wants, and again I don't understand why anyone would do that.

I would think QG would want to show NBA range. Not sure that's what a coach would want him to do on the court, but I guess that isn't for us anymore.
The flip side of this is JB wanted him to play inside on a team where the only two guys capable or willing to pass inside, Marek and Kadary, have just left. Why would Q subject himself to that? Especially when the other two forwards they’ve brought in are both taller than he is.

The flip side of this is JB wanted him to play inside on a team where the only two guys capable or willing to pass inside, Marek and Kadary, have just left. Why would Q subject himself to that? Especially when the other two forwards they’ve brought in are both taller than he is.

I can agree with that one.

I don't know if any program will take him just to say play in the spot you want, the way you want, even if you don't have the skill for it. He should try to follow the Oshae route and improve his game outside of a college environment unless a school will give him free rein to play the way he wants, and again I don't understand why anyone would do that.

It just seems like an assumption is being made about what Guerrier will do on his new squad.

I'm sure he'd like to demonstrate more versatility. That doesn't mean he's going to play undisciplined basketball and turn into an unmitigated gunner, and operate outside of the new team's collective offensive concept. He never played like that here.

Joe plays like he’s auditioning for the NBA.
I wanted to make a "And trains like he's auditioning for the Nathan's hot dog eating contest" post but decided against it because I thought people might not understand the good natured humor behind it and assume a more cynical and malicious intent.

Devils advocate response.

Quincy wanted to explore his professional options with respect to the NBA. His timetable didn't line up with Syracuse's vis a vis recruiting, so the coaching staff actively went out and recruited two frontcourt players [Swider / Jimmy] before Guerrier's final decision came down. I think it's one of those damned if you do / damned if you don't situations for the staff -- if they don't bring in quality replacements because they wait to long, they're left holding the bag. And if they act swiftly and strike while the iron is hot, then they "push" Guerrier out. Unfortunate situation, with the timing, IMO.

He could certainly have chosen to return, because as you point out he would have been a returning starter. But he also might have felt that the team is structured about Buddy getting shots, and that might not have enabled him to be featured in an advantageous way.

Quincy is also a helluva college player, whether he eventually emerges as a legitimate NBA prospect or not. But there will be high major interest if he actively pursues a change of scenery -- make no mistake about that.

Q was much more of a guy with the ball in his hands if I recall his HS/Prep film. Many of us were seeing a 2/3 Hybrid not a tweener 4.

It's interesting because if you watch him in most possessions this past year, he didn't try to showcase his ability off the bounce even when the opportunity was there. There were moments like vs NC State in the ACCT where he drove and lost his dribble like we used to see with Southerland and then there were a couple on dribble plays in the tourney that were not breaking down his man just quick moves to the hoop. So I am not sure if it was the staff limiting him to playing this way or simply his game not having that piece at this level.

He never looked very comfortable having to be on the ball for a longer period of time to me. He looked about as comfortable as Hak did maybe even less.

It just seems like an assumption is being made about what Guerrier will do on his new squad.

I'm sure he'd like to demonstrate more versatility. That doesn't mean he's going to play undisciplined basketball and turn into an unmitigated gunner. He never played like that here.

Here he shot the 3, drove (clumsily a lot) to the hole, rebounded, played inside. Not sure what else is there outside of maybe man up defense.

I'm sure he'd like to demonstrate more versatility. That doesn't mean he's going to play undisciplined basketball and turn into an unmitigated gunner. He never played like that here.
Yeah I think this whole "Quincy wants to play outside" thing is a board narrative trying to explain that he declared for the draft but also put his name in the portal as a parachute option.

I'm not going to comment on my thoughts on the situation as it's playing out, but I'll just say that once the HS > NBA route is approved again and the G-League and other pre-NBA pro leagues are mature, it will hopefully make these situations way better.

The G-League has been working and is 1000x better than when it started. Even G-League Ignite did a good job with the kids it had. Kumunga and Green are still going top five.

If you get to a point where you don't want to play college ball anymore, those avenues where you can get paid (something, at least) and be focusing on basketball 24/7 and not Geology 105 will do wonders for a lot of guys. Hopefully it will help those guys either get to the NBA or get a contract overseas even if they don't get drafted.

It is real hard to get into the NBA and then stay in the NBA. But as JB has said in the past, and I'm paraphrasing, basically everyone that plays at Cuse can play pro somewhere.

Anyway, good luck to Q wherever he ends up. Pretty sure he played hurt the second half of the season. Would like to see him succeed wherever he lands.

College basketball is broken and no longer fun to watch outside of the Big Dance.

This has unfortunately become true. I've begun enjoying the NBA more than college hoops. College hoops is hard to watch if it's not your team playing.

Kudos to all of you who were pro transfer rule. Saying if coaches can leave without sitting out the athletes should be able to also. Kudos to you all. If not for this transfer rule portal Kadary and Quincy would still be here and with who we have coming in we are a top 10 team next year.

Kudos to all of you who were pro transfer rule. Saying if coaches can leave without sitting out the athletes should be able to also. Kudos to you all. If not for this transfer rule portal Kadary and Quincy would still be here and with who we have coming in we are a top 10 team next year.
What you just can't seem to grasp is that the the transfer rule will work for you some times and against you at other times. This isn't about us. It's about the kids. How could you not understand that?

Yeah it was only the fans at Syracusefan.com that caused this ;)

This has unfortunately become true. I've begun enjoying the NBA more than college hoops. College hoops is hard to watch if it's not your team playing.
Its really sad for what a great sport to watch in the day when student-athletes played 3 - 4 yrs and you could look forward to intense match-ups every year. Remember the Patrick Ewing/Andre Hawkins/Ed Pinkney & Bill Wennington battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom