RAK and scoring | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RAK and scoring

Let's say you have all the tools in the world to build a house, but someone forgets to bring you the nails. Once the nails arrive, did you gain focus, or did you finally have all the necessary tools to succeed?

Not touching the ball certainly has to be a factor in his progress as a player. Again, go back and read JBs comments from SWC's recaps, he said he had some of this in him last year, but we didn't need him on offense. That's not me saying that - clearly the coaches never put any emphasis on touching the ball.

If you're not touching the ball on offense, you're going to have trouble to getting into the flow of a game. I think most equated that to him being lazy/disinterested, but I never thought (outside of his Frosh year) that was what we were witnessing.

I don't take exception to much of anyone has said, obviously he's putting in more work (more than year's past though, who knows...), but I do think people are attributing this to Rak finally motivating himself are putting too much emphasis on that side as well.

If Ennis and Grant come back he's probably a 9/7 player again - with limited touches. Do you think his numbers would be anywhere near what they are now in that scenario even with his new found focus? I would still guess (as this obviously is a guess) that his biggest obstacle was being all but ignored on offense. He is more focused, but the attitude probably comes from finally playing one-on-one with someone - you tend to get more fiery when you're challenging on both ends of the court. You're involved in the play - you think you're getting fouled, etc...

Not trying to be argumentative Ghost, as you and I are generally on the same page on many issues, but huh?!? Didn't need his scoring last year? How could JB state that with a straight face?

Stuff like that makes me realize how often JB resorts to anecdotal embellishment to make his points in those type of radio interviews. Last year, we were awful offensively, and we enjoyed virtually no inside scoring [Rak was far from the only culpruit]. The year before, the thing that held us back most of the season after the strong start was the utter DEARTH of inside scoring we got. And when Keita finally stepped up toward the end of the year and began to provide even a modicum of pittance scoring, we went on a post-season run.

Also, this goes without saying, but not everything that is stated in the media ends up being accurate. Do you remember the newspaper article from just before the sesason began where the HS coaches who coached against Rak in high school reacted to the notion of him being an offensive focal point, as opposed to the single digit scorer he'd been dating back to high school? Just because they were of the mindset that he wasn't up to the task, that didn't make those opinions / predictions accurate.

I'm obviously not going to convince you, so let's just agree to disagree. I just think it is ludicrous to Rak has been Wilt Chamberlain all along, its just that we didn't get him the ball because we "didn't need him to score." No, he's spent a significant portion of his collegiate career not playing with focus, and perhaps not being as dedicated off the floor to improving as he is now. Might he have scored a few more points if we'd emphasized getting the ball inside? Sure. That isn't the point. JB tolerates errors of commission a lot better than omission, which is why Rak often found himself parked on the bench earlier in his career.

Last edited:
Oh, I by no means intend to say he was capable of producing at this level all along - the idea that he was is daft. I just doubt in one summer he developed a left hand that is far superior to the right we saw prior to this year. I think limited touches limited his productiveness - and to some extent a failure by the coaches to get the players to work the ball into the post.

I never really bought into the whole Rak was unfocused or lazy argument. From early in his Sophomore year on his biggest problem was that he spent too much time trying to box out on a team where nobody boxes out. His Frosh year through the early portion of his Sophomore year were the only years I would categorize him as unfocused - and lacking in hustle at all. He would pin a man, while two other had free reign on defensive possessions.

How do you be consistent in the post when you're touches are that limited? Guards control the ball, they dictate the posts ability to get shots.

Eh, I suppose ultimately taking it serious can account for a bit of a jump, but if that's all it was, I'm sure we would see player making monumental jumps all the time.

I would still say that if Grant and Ennis came back we would be seeing a Rak that goes for 8/7 - and rarely sees the ball. I just don't think the majority of this is Rak saying, "hey, JB said I can score if I work hard, and I can play in the NBA if I dominate..."
Let me throw a couple of points into the mix here. In years past, the problem with Rak was mental mistakes -- foolish fouls, lapses on defense, lack of aggression on the glass, etc. Although Rak didn't always play center, it bears mentioning that, when he did he didn't reach (or understand) the level of activity necessary in JB's system. The center has to close out on corner jump shooters sometimes (a long way from the basket), has to move up near the foul line when someone penetrates the lane and then back very quickly if the penetrator dishes, etc. It's a system that gives the 5 multiple responsibilities ... so "pinning his man" may get one thing done but it doesn't mean that Rak had the activity or focus that the staff was looking for.

Rak's stats are here. http://stats.syracuse.com/cbk/players.asp?id=110466&team=553

Sophomore year his best game was 15 points against Providence, and he was beginning to show signs of offensive talent -- but getting minutes largely as a shot-blocker and inside defender. Because we had other players that could score, the times he was yanked usually involved poor defense -- letting an opposing guard drive the lane and score a layup got him yanked relatively quickly. At this point, Rak was logging 20 mpg and only scoring 5.1 points -- so that tells you that he was principally a defensive player and was not ready or needed to be a big part of the offense on a FF team.

Last year, once again we had scorers ... CJ, Grant and Ennis could all dazzle offensively with jumpers and slick moves to the basket. But their early success masked our inside scoring problem for 2/3's of the season -- a problem that in my judgment became a MAJOR FLAW. The lack of balance left us vulnerable as a perimeter team and resulted in a disappointing stretch run in the conference and an early exit from the tournament. The late-season slide wasn't SOLELY the result of Rak's slow development as a low-block scorer (6 points in 23 minutes pg). There were other factors: poor shooting nights (the achilles heal of a perimeter team); defense at the top of the zone; lack of depth at PG; coleman being out/hampered; Keita not being able to score, or even catch, the ball; etc.. I agree that our guards were not adept at feeding the post, but this was because inside scoring was not established as an integral part of the team's offensive sets. Rak was the only guy that was healthy and had the size and potential to score down low, and he was simply not consistent or confident enough to demand the ball (in the NCAA's last year he averaged 4.8 points per game).

This year, he has that confidence--and we are feeding the post. Maybe the "light went on" a year late, because now (inversely) Rak dominates inside but we don't have consistent perimeter shooting or effective penetration. Other players have played well for us, TC notably, MG in spots. But we're very inconsistent/inexperienced at the 1, 3 and 4 (three out of the 5 positions), allowing other teams to pressure Cooney and double Rak to keep him from going off for 25 or 30. With CMac out we're also smaller and are starting to get damaged on the glass.

So I think Rak's offensive development has been a function of lots of factors, but mostly his competence on the court and understanding of the game -- his maturity as a player. Bigs take time. I don't think the staff mishandled him at all last year -- in fact they used him to the maximum extent they could to help the team win. IMO.

Last edited:
imo agree limited last year.

1.Didn't finish 8 foot hook shots with his strong hand as well,
2.this year he finishes them better with his weak hand then his strong. He had no weak hand last year
3. jumpshot wasn't as good.
4. He didn't have the spin left last year that he has this year.
5. he attacks much quicker now.
6. values every foul shot.
7. scores over doubles triples not just one on one.
8. creates more assists because of his scoring.

imo completely different player. not even close.

Not trying to be argumentative Ghost, as you and I are generally on the same page on many issues, but huh?!? Didn't need his scoring last year? How could JB state that with a straight face?

Stuff like that makes me realize how often JB resorts to anecdotal embellishment to make his points in those type of radio interviews. Last year, we were awful offensively, and we enjoyed virtually no inside scoring [Rak was far from the only culpruit]. The year before, the thing that held us back most of the season after the strong start was the utter DEARTH of inside scoring we got. And when Keita finally stepped up toward the end of the year and began to provide even a modicum of pittance scoring, we went on a post-season run.

Also, this goes without saying, but not everything that is stated in the media ends up being accurate. Do you remember the newspaper article from just before the sesason began where the HS coaches who coached against Rak in high school reacted to the notion of him being an offensive focal point, as opposed to the single digit scorer he'd been dating back to high school? Just because they were of the mindset that he wasn't up to the task, that didn't make those opinions / predictions accurate.

I'm obviously not going to convince you, so let's just agree to disagree. I just think it is ludicrous to Rak has been Wilt Chamberlain all along, its just that we didn't get him the ball because we "didn't need him to score." No, he's spent a significant portion of his collegiate career not playing with focus, and perhaps not being as dedicated off the floor to improving as he is now. Might he have scored a few more points if we'd emphasized getting the ball inside? Sure. That isn't the point. JB tolerates errors of commission a lot better than omission, which is why Rak often found himself parked on the bench earlier in his career.

I'm not implying he was Wilt. :)

I think for myself, and just a handful of others, we have been arguing since his Sophomore year that the skillset he displayed in exhibition games, etc. showed he was capable of far more on offense. As a result we are arguing from a far different side on this one. We're saying we've been right all along...lol

The argument always was - how can he score if he never touches the ball? Last year Grant was probably the most adept at feeding the post - our guards just don't seem to have the skill or the interest in doing so.

I would put that on JB fwiw. We needed more scoring - more movement on offense, and neglecting the post took our offense from middling to downright poor. That's a far longer argument though. Although, and I'm not going back a year plus to find it, JB did say in multiple interviews (radio shows) that the guards needed to do more to get the ball into the post in years past. It never materialized though - not sure who is to blame for that, or if JB was just saying it for the sake of saying it. Que sera sera...

So, here is the bit from JB's show on SWC's recap dated 12/23/2014 - I even include the bit at the end to help support your reasoning (I could have left it out!): :)

Rakeem isn’t coming – he’s there. He could have gotten there last year but the focus was on the guards and forwards. We had more options then.
Rakeem has gotten better every year. He didn’t play too much before he came to the states. He was never asked to do a lot. His ‘fire’ has improved and he’d become a key guy for us.

Ultimately, we agree to disagree - and by no means am I saying I KNOW Rak could have done more - I just sincerely believe he had more to give early on and we never utilized him properly.

So, at the end of the day, I agree with JB. He could have gotten there earlier, and we never asked him to do anything...or allowed him to. :)

Nice post Reedny as well - I'm not quoting it though so I figured I would throw this in. I disagree with your conclusion wholeheartedly (I think he was mishandled in multiple ways), but did think it was a well thought out/good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom