Randy Edsall returning to UConn... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Randy Edsall returning to UConn...

I for one can't wait until Edsall gets UConn fans all hyped up and has them winning...and then leaves them the exact same way again.

I can't wait for UCon to go completely in the tank under Edsall, and have them come to Syracuse to play and get beat 100 - 0. And then have the UCon administration not let Edsall back on the plane to return home.

If by "winning" you mean 7-5, maybe an occasional 8-4, he may be able to get back there in a few years (maybe). But he's never going to catch the perfect storm of a collapsed big East and 3 way tie breakers getting him to a big name bowl game again.

I don't think they should be too concerned about any more 'dream jobs' coming calling for him.
I meant winning by UConn standards. I should have clarified.

I can't wait for UCon to go completely in the tank under Edsall, and have them come to Syracuse to play and get beat 100 - 0. And then have the UCon administration not let Edsall back on the plane to return home.
Believe you mean 'bus' here instead of plane. After paying Diaco for his job well done they'll be penny pinching for quite awhile.

Get your pay cut in half.

Move somewhere more expensive.

Work for a coach who thinks offense only exists to setup the defense. And who's also an ahole.

What could possibly go wrong in the life of Rhett Lashlee after this decision?

Last edited:
That sucks for that kid but that stuff happens a lot. It may have happened with several of our recruits last year.

Edsall is a dbag for telling the kid he was fine and then changed his mind. Tell the kid right away after the coaching change.

From the article:

"Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe"

"UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley even met with Dickens at Raritan Thursday to talk about signing day and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20, Dickens’ 18th birthday.

Three days later, the scholarship was gone."

Edsall is an even bigger than I imagined (and I imagined he was an enormous douche).

From the article:

"Edsall called on New Year’s Day to assure Dickens the school still wanted him and his scholarship was safe"

"UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley even met with Dickens at Raritan Thursday to talk about signing day and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20, Dickens’ 18th birthday.

Three days later, the scholarship was gone."

Edsall is an even bigger . . . . . than I imagined (and I imagined he was an enormous douche).
New Year's Day... Lock up what we have.
Two weeks later, better alternative so move on...

Not good, he'll get a black eye with coaches but no real consequence. This is something the early signing period will help.

New Year's Day... Lock up what we have.
Two weeks later, better alternative so move on...

Not good, he'll get a black eye with coaches but no real consequence. This is something the early signing period will help.
He is getting crushed on twitter

I'll refrain until we know the details. Quite possible this kid got himself in trouble, wasn't making grades, or any number of other things that could have cost him his scholarship. Or Randy's just being Randy, who knows. Either way I hope it pisses off the NJ HS coaches and they blackball Storrs for the foreseeable future.

I'll refrain until we know the details. Quite possible this kid got himself in trouble, wasn't making grades, or any number of other things that could have cost him his scholarship. Or Randy's just being Randy, who knows. Either way I hope it pisses off the NJ HS coaches and they blackball Storrs for the foreseeable future.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior linebacker from Raritan High School had just been honored with a 2016 Mini Max Award for his football excellence, strong academics and devotion to community service, which includes roles in teen suicide prevention, breast cancer awareness and fundraisers for families in crisis.
--
He also has a 3.9 grade-point average, competes on the wrestling team and is actively involved in several charities, including the RAINE Foundation, which his family founded and provides food, clothing and other necessities for families in crisis.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound senior linebacker from Raritan High School had just been honored with a 2016 Mini Max Award for his football excellence, strong academics and devotion to community service, which includes roles in teen suicide prevention, breast cancer awareness and fundraisers for families in crisis.
--
He also has a 3.9 grade-point average, competes on the wrestling team and is actively involved in several charities, including the RAINE Foundation, which his family founded and provides food, clothing and other necessities for families in crisis.
Sooooooo Randy just being Randy, got it. Sounds like this kid should have no problems landing at a decent school.

It's not Edsall fault. The Uconn administration put the new staff in a tough spot to evaluate the recruits so late in the cycle because they couldn't afford to fire Diaco when the big boys do.

So Edsall has to make a later than usual decision on a kid that appears to be a reach. I get it.

The best part is watching the Uconn fans blaming the kids family for going public.

Some guy called "businesslawyer" is wagging his finger at the family for going public and ruining the kids chances to get a scholarship. Got a bunch of likes too, including one from their resident village idiot Pudge.

Is he kidding me? Uconn FB fans lost touch with reality years ago.

Does it suck - yes and they have a reasonable expectation to be mad / disappointed. Blaming the kid's family for going public "ruining his chances for getting a 'ship"...is not really living in life's reality.

It's not Edsall fault. The Uconn administration put the new staff in a tough spot to evaluate the recruits so late in the cycle because they couldn't afford to fire Diaco when the big boys do.

So Edsall has to make a later than usual decision on a kid that appears to be a reach. I get it.

The best part is watching the Uconn fans blaming the kids family for going public.

Some guy called "businesslawyer" is wagging his finger at the family for going public and ruining the kids chances to get a scholarship. Got a bunch of likes too, including one from their resident village idiot Pudge.

Is he kidding me? Uconn FB fans lost touch with reality years ago.

Does it suck - yes and they have a reasonable expectation to be mad / disappointed. Blaming the kid's family for going public "ruining his chances for getting a 'ship"...is not really living in life's reality.
I like alot of this post, there's one thing I disagreed with. If you were in an evaluation mode, don't reach out to the kid on two different occassions to assure him of his spot. I think that's the rub.

He could've just said, we're currently evaluating for our system and yada yada yada.

But, I also understand that this is absolutely 100% part of the business. Tough pill.

Generally, yes. But most coaches who aren't complete aholes would call the recruits and say hey look, we have to evaluate and do what we need to do, and once that happens we will let you know. No promises, no reassurances.

Edsall calls the kid on New Year's Day and tells him they still want him, then 2 weeks later says we're going in a different direction.

That's why he sucks. Just be honest up front.

Of course, it's only a matter of time before Edsall says the kid is lying and that NYD conversation never happened. He's built enough credibility for roughly 0 people outside of the boneyard to believe him.

Edsall calls the kid on New Year's Day and tells him they still want him, then 2 weeks later says we're going in a different direction.

+

UConn linebackers coach Jon Wholley even met with Dickens at Raritan Thursday to talk about signing day and his upcoming visit to UConn on Jan. 20, Dickens’ 18thbirthday.

Three days later, the scholarship was gone.

Not sure if we can get on edsall here. I think he is scum, yes, however, we just did the same thing to bj daniels in a way. This happens all the time, just not always makes the news.
Presumably we didn't tell Daniels 3 weeks ago that his offer was safe, then ditched him with about 3 weeks till signing day..

Not sure if we can get on edsall here. I think he is scum, yes, however, we just did the same thing to bj daniels in a way. This happens all the time, just not always makes the news.
Really, really bad comparison and not even close to the similar situations. Daniels was cut loose because he doesn't have the grades while this kid was visited by a coach the night before to discuss signing day.

Presumably we didn't tell Daniels 3 weeks ago that his offer was safe, then ditched him with about 3 weeks till signing day..

How do we know that? There are multiple ways to break up. Apparently, our staff took the silent approach and the kid saw the writing on the wall. Edsall at least made a phone call. Again, i think RE is scum, just think it happens in every program late in the cycle.

Really, really bad comparison and not even close to the similar situations. Daniels was cut loose because he doesn't have the grades while this kid was visited by a coach the night before to discuss signing day.

Agree then, the night before? Then thats filthy.

With a 3.9 GPA, I'm guessing grades wasn't the issue. Besides, this is UCONN we're talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom