Class of 2015 - RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI

Great pick up in so many ways.

Wow is all I can say. Shows what we have in Bobby Acosta.

Shows NJ kids that Syracuse could once again be a top destination for the best in state talent.

This! I changed your sentence a little bit. Getting back in the game in the NE-NY-NJ-PA is critical to our sustained long term success. I wasn't too sure if Schafer took this seriously enough but with the Acosta hire I am thinking (hoping) I am wrong.

Welcome aboard Dontae!

Last edited:
Ditto to all of the above. Huge recruit to get on the field and the benefits on the recruiting trail could be unbelievable.

Dream domino scenario downstate and NJ is Ellison, Ryslik, Kelly, Fox and then the Robinson and Sheppard duo from NY. What a NE haul that would be early in the game on top of Strickland, Perkins and Fredericks who are already in the stable.

A man can dream. It's an exciting time to be the Orangemen. Thank God for that feeling again. Now produce on the field and we're getting closer to that proverbial corner.

Let's Go Orange!

This! I changed your sentence a little bit. Getting back in the game in the NE-NY-NJ-PA is critical to our sustained long term success. I wasn't too sure if Schafer took this seriously enough but with the Acosta hire I am thinking (hoping) I am wrong.

Welcome aboard Dontae!

That was a huge hire for Shafer. We desperately needed a coach with strong established ties to NJ/NY, and Acosta looks to be the man. We all saw how hard it was to get back into the state with a coach who never recruited the area before. We were stonewalled each and every time. Not only does a HC need to be able to evaluate player talent, but identifying assistant coaches is right up there. For a TE coach hire this may end up being one of his best hires. From everything you read Coach Acosta is well loved and respected in NJ. I know he is chummy with the PSU coaches so let's hope we can hand on for a while.

That was a huge hire for Shafer. We desperately needed a coach with strong established ties to NJ/NY, and Acosta looks to be the man. We all saw how hard it was to get back into the state with a coach who never recruited the area before. We were stonewalled each and every time. Not only does a HC need to be able to evaluate player talent, but identifying assistant coaches is right up there. For a TE coach hire this may end up being one of his best hires. From everything you read Coach Acosta is well loved and respected in NJ. I know he is chummy with the PSU coaches so let's hope we can hand on for a while.

I know Penn State is Penn State, but at what point do we start to retain quality position coaches and only lose them to higher level positions within the coaching structure (such as McDonald's move from WR coach to OC)?

Obviously we have to show it on the field to get back into the Top 25 and beyond. But I truly believe in the next 5 years we can make some noise if Eduoard develops into what I think he could, and Hunt takes a big step up this year which I think he will.

With the new practice facility going up, the move to the ACC and the increase in revenue that goes along with it, why can't we become a perennial power in the Northeast the way we were 20-25 years ago? Am I totally living in a pipedream?

awesome get. welcome aboard dontae.

love sticking it to buttgers. they wanted him big time, from right in their backyard. equivalent of getting a player from Syracuse that we wanted. ha ha ha. he's gonna kill it at Cuse. didn't want to play in the wasteland that is the big ten.

for Tep, as of today he's a rvls 3 star and more importantly a 5.7; their stupid numeric rating.

Last edited:
I know Penn State is Penn State, but at what point do we start to retain quality position coaches and only lose them to higher level positions within the coaching structure (such as McDonald's move from WR coach to OC)?

Obviously we have to show it on the field to get back into the Top 25 and beyond. But I truly believe in the next 5 years we can make some noise if Eduoard develops into what I think he could, and Hunt takes a big step up this year which I think he will.

With the new practice facility going up, the move to the ACC and the increase in revenue that goes along with it, why can't we become a perennial power in the Northeast the way we were 20-25 years ago? Am I totally living in a pipedream?

I think we are going to have to use some of that $20.8mil ACC $$$ to drastically up our assistant coach salary pool.

No, you're not. There isn't a true power in the Northeast right now. Penn State is emerging from the rubble, but we're well positioned to become a major player. The next two years really matter for that positioning.

Penn State playing in a bad conference, is never going to be the same. Ohio St, Michigan, then Michigan St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and then Penn St. The only team with any possibility of winning a national championship is Ohio St, and then only if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 champions are bad. The 4 team playoff is going to kill the Big 10, many years they won't get in, because their out of conference record is so bad.

We are back. We are picking up quality kids with good solid offers and more importantly kids that are high on our list with early offers and commits. This staff has it down. I believe they are very strong in identifying talent and the right type of fit for our school and team. With what is looking like over 10 in the bag by the end of June if not more we are sitting in great shape. Acosta has the respect of the NJ HS coaching frat and he seems to connect with the kids. Great start that is only going to get better with the IPF actually built, our second year in the ACC, the ACC possibly winning another NC, and the increased exposure. I expect top 35 recruiting classes and rankings from here on out. Nice to be back in the game!

Dare I say, we've turned the corner.
Turning_the_Corner_0912.jpg

Dare I say, we've turned the corner.
Last time I thought we turned the corner was when we blew out West Va in 2011, then we lost 5 straight to end the season, I know we had a lot of injuries but that stung...let's hope this time we actually do.

Nice to grab a top NJ kid. The rutgirls fans are funny. If we're so low life they should feel even worse losing a kid to us.