Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody I just got really excited that's all. Plus Clemson has made this a less fun day than I was planning
I'm excited about the second part, too. I think everyone here will like it. I honestly don't recall any recruiting sites taking the angle Justin will be taking with it.

This is very exciting, man if we can just get that 44 out of retirement who knows what that can do for the program.

Saddle up the horse and have the Saltine Warrior ride up to his porch to deliver the dam jersey

The best way to keep a tradition alive and relevant...is to keep it alive and relevant. Fans will care a lot more about "44" when it is taken down from the rafters and worn by the next great SU running back and then the next great SU running back and then the next. What better way to honor the lineage than to try to continue it?

Someone should also get the article to Jim, he should like it, and I'm sure if he is on board, TGD would immediately capitulate, and bring back #44.

I was told by people on this board that 44 doesn't matter, no kids care about it, and it makes no difference at all to anything we do.

SUFan44 said:
I was told by people on this board that 44 doesn't matter, no kids care about it, and it makes no difference at all to anything we do.

And I was told unis don't matter either - even though a parent of one of recruits said so explicitly.

Some narratives are just too strong.

And I was told unis don't matter either - even though a parent of one of recruits said so explicitly.

Some narratives are just too strong.
Let it go ;-)

TheCusian said:
And I was told unis don't matter either - even though a parent of one of recruits said so explicitly. Some narratives are just too strong.

And not one player has ever said they were asked "do you like these better than these". And since we're changing the unis again this fall, I guess the recruits were lied too.

And not one player has ever said they were asked "do you like these better than these". And since we're changing the unis again this fall, I guess the recruits were lied too.

You mean the 44 degree numbers that look like the NYC skyline are now passé?

OrangeXtreme said:
You mean the 44 degree numbers that look like the NYC skyline are now passé?

Don't know. Just the Orange being used which is what most have asked for. Our recruits like the all blue better according to some here.

Someone should also get the article to Jim, he should like it, and I'm sure if he is on board, TGD would immediately capitulate, and bring back #44.
Hell, ask him to personally deliver the jersey. That would make a pretty strong impression.

Ok I decided to sit down and ask shy of all things were equal and you were down to two schools for a decision would uniforms matter one way or the other. He answered that while the actual design wouldn't be a difference maker... Who made the uniform... Nike addidas under Armour would make a difference as well as school colors may push him. He gave the example of really like the Oregon uniform. He also said he would choose Nike over under armour ( who is this kid?) he made the point that going to a Nike schooleans pretty much giving up under armour gear completely even off the field. I wanted to reask him and specifically dig into why he had said uniforms mattered to him. Now back to your regularly scheduled washington thread ... GO PATRIOTS!!!!

My point was simple: when a recruit says something that fits a defined narrative and value, such as "44 matters to recruits" - it's trumpeted. When a kid says "yeah, Unis are important" I get branded as a crazy person.

Why is that? Because 44 is a value that most true fans know and care about. When a kids opinion jives with our long held values - it strikes a chord. Now when a kids opinion is opposite ours (ie they like the new look and it matters in the choice they are making) - we look for reasons and excuses not to believe it.

(The truth is that with The Express, the number has a renewed awareness that recruits know about and love. I cannot express how good that is for all orange fans. It's the core of Syracuse football. And the fact that we missed out on Gordon a few years ago - after he was similarly affected by the movie and tradition stands as s dark mark on Marrone's time here.)

I was indifferent about bringing #44 out of retirement until I read that article by Justin. If handing out #44 helps to land an elite prospect like Washington then I say do it, and don't even think about it. Obviously the program needs a little kick start, and if something as seemingly small about un-retiring a jersey will do it, then I ask what the hell are we waiting for? This isn't only about Washington, but what grabbing an elite prospect like Washington signifies. Elite talent attracts elite talent. People can mock the star system all they want, but it has always been my opinion that good players want to play with good players. These kids read the recruiting services. They know which program is bringing in talented classes, and which ones aren't. Getting someone of Washington's stature could give us the juice we need. Not to mention Robert is already on record of saying he will recruit other good players (sounds like he has already thought about what he would do when he committed to Syracuse?). Now I am sure this decision will be made above HCSS, and once it is OK'd then HCSS will have the ability to hand out the jersey or not. I really can't think of any good reasons for not bringing it back on Gross' end? This would be a total botch-up if we somehow find out the decision to bring back #44 is blocked. Then again if Washington were to decide not to come here because we can't offer #44 then i'd probably question if he really wanted to come here in the 1st place. It would be a cool gesture that could gain some publicity if we did un-retire it to get a star recruit. Hell maybe this could be another turning point in the program? Who knows unless you try? What do we have to lose?
If one of the primary influences for direction of the design of uniforms is to attract recruits, its seems like a no brainer that 44 should be unretired, if it could provide any advantage at all with Washington.

This thread is getting my hopes up too much. I need to stop reading it now.

When I started this thread, my hopes and dreams were that Robert would commit to Syracuse and wear the #44 which would start a renaissance for Syracuse football and restore the pride we once had. I believe there is something magical about 44 and one of the big three, Floyd Little, is still on campus and part of the football program. I saw Ernie Davis play live in Archbold Stadium, and listening to games on the radio when Jimmy Brown played was when I became a fan. The last person to wear 44 was Rob Konrad. His recent determination, with his brush with death, is what probably saved his life. I like to think that everyone that wears that number possesses that same determination and I believe Robert Washington is the right person to wear it again.

There has to be someone on here who can get this ran up the flagpole regarding unretiring 44 for a kid like this.

There has to be someone on here who can get this ran up the flagpole regarding unretiring 44 for a kid like this.
I'm sure that there is, but remember, he did say he's already talked to the coaches about it. I'm sure everyone who needs to know already does.

I just want to bump this up and say that, without saying anything...it would be a very good idea if #RESTORE44 became a genuine movement around SU.

I'm so convinced this would be in our best interest that I've added a permalink to the top of .com to this article: http://.com/the-case-to-restore-44/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom