Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake said:
Not everyone here is 25 years old. Football actually existed before 1998.
the second ageist post I've seen from you in two days..

In response to your comment... Thank heavens it did or the older generation wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I wouldn't be so sure.

They better call the Saudi Prince...I am afraid I will not be of much help.

They had trouble paying for the Melo Center, the renovations to the football wing at Manley and the IPF.

Melo Ctr. $15 mil
FB wing $4-5 Mil
IPF ~$12 mil

We are talking about $150 mil or thereabouts, where is the optimism coming from, did they win the Powerball?

Orangepace said:
the second ageist post I've seen from you in two days.. In response to your comment... Thank heavens it did or the older generation wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Ahhh. Yeah. So I'm going to assume the other "ageist" post you are referring to was my "youth is wasted on the wrong people" comment.

It's a quote from "it's a wonderful life". It's a movie whose main character's name is George Bailey. And I was commenting in a thread about reporter Stephen Bailey. See what I did there?

Anyhoo...I stand by my original comment in both threads. Bailey made a youthful mistake leading off the presser with the question. We've all made mistakes because of inexperience. Not a big deal.

And many of us geezers are a bit put off by referring to a running back as a once in a lifetime recruit. We've seen players come through this program who are in the nfl hall of fame. Just sayin..

Last edited:
the second ageist post I've seen from you in two days..

In response to your comment... Thank heavens it did or the older generation wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Ageism...was Jake applying for a job?

I wouldn't be so sure.
Obtaing this kind of money for the Dome replacement isn't all that difficult . The naming rightist offered to the right companies or individual with tR maybe Microsoft or Bill Gates. The possibilities are endless. These companies spend a lot of money for publicity and advertising Direct this to the school.With Newhouse go to networks like ESPN,CBS , or god forbid "Fox"

Jake said:
Ahhh. Yeah. So I'm going to assume the other "ageist" post you are referring to was my "youth is wasted on the wrong people" comment. It's a quote from "it's a wonderful life". It's a movie whose main character's name is George Bailey. And I was commenting in a thread about reporter Stephen Bailey. See what I did there? Anyhoo...I stand by my original comment in both threads. Bailey made a youthful mistake leading off the presser with the question. We've all made mistakes because of inexperience. Not a big deal. And many of us geezers are a bit put off by referring to a running back as a once in a lifetime recruit. We've seen players come through this program who are in the nfl hall of fame. Just sayin..

Huh? Last I checked recruits weren't able to be elected to the NFL HOF?

You compare recruits to other recruits - not what they became.

TheCusian said:
Huh? Last I checked recruits weren't able to be elected to the NFL HOF? You compare recruits to other recruits - not what they became.
Robert Washington 4* running back. Johnnie Morant 5* receiver. Stars don't guarantee sucess. Just because we're old, doesn't mean we forget.

Don't get me wrong. We should offer him the #44. I think we should have it on the field every year. But I don't want to build up any player as a"once in a lifetime recruit". It's really not fair to the player.

The only player I've ever seen in high school that I was absolutely sure was going to be great pro in his sport was Lebron. Football is much bigger crapshoot.

Last edited:
Jake said:
Robert Washington 4* running back. Johnnie Morant 5* receiver. Stars don't guarantee sucess. Just because we're old, doesn't mean we forget. Don't get me wrong. We should offer him the #44. I think we should have it on the field every year. But I don't want to build up any player as a"once in a lifetime recruit". It's really not fair to the player. The only player I've ever seen in high school that I was absolutely sure was going to be great pro in his sport was Lebron. Football is much bigger crapshoot.

Fair enough.

I just think hyperbole is hyperbole. By all accounts the kid wants that pressure. That's a part of the reason why I don't mind the 44 talk. He's a great kid who other great kids want to play with. I don't remember Morant being that kind of recruit.

But no matter - lets just hope he ends up orange.

Robert Washington 4* running back. Johnnie Morant 5* receiver. Stars don't guarantee sucess. Just because we're old, doesn't mean we forget.

Don't get me wrong. We should offer him the #44. I think we should have it on the field every year. But I don't want to build up any player as a"once in a lifetime recruit". It's really not fair to the player.

The only player I've ever seen in high school that I was absolutely sure was going to be great pro in his sport was Lebron. Football is much bigger crapshoot.

Let's please drop and end all the once in the lifetime recruit stuff. Because something said by a person (with excitement) turns into something negative toward a recruit via trying to defend a stance. Now we have fans talking why a players "isn't" or "he could turn out to be this". Let's be mindful recruits, the families and friends read this stuff. I know without a question Robert has read this blog and chats with Otto Grove on a regular. As a Syracuse supporter let's keep this kids forum positive.

I will address the *4 or *5 discussion. Make no mistakes about it who every get's this kid is getting a *5 star player. Those *stars are very political. No harm to the media who ranks but many of those guys have never played football and most of those rankings come from those camps in tee shirt and shorts. I will lean on the "College Coaches" evaluation on who is the best RB in this kids class. You know the ones who get paid to do it and job is actually on the line. Robert holds 40 plus offers more than any RB in the country. The college coaches have spoken. To put this in full circle Ohio State is still actively recruiting the kid after receiving a commitment from the "#1 RB" in the class

Now on to my next point

Lets stick to the the facts about the kid.
A. He's a extremely high character kid
B. He's a great high school football player that is a proven winner with the stats, accolades and championships to back it up.
C. He loves and understands Syracuse tradition and legacy
D. He's already 215 pounds as a High School junior (bigger than any current back we have)
E. He's well respected amongst highly ranked players
F. He's a kid in the heart of the conference we compete in (ACC). Getting him could form major pipelines for our staff in the Southeast

Like I have said guys players are a hit or miss no matter what but I rather miss with a high character kid. #44 is not only about your on the field production. It's a way of life and tribute to the past men that wore that number. We don't just celebrate Jim, Ernie and Floyd for being outstanding football players. We also celebrate the men they was and still are. This kid is special mark my words. So if I say this kid is a "program changer" I mean that in all aspects. That's not to down play any other player that we have gotten or that is in the program currently. Look at the tweet from ESPN's Tom V about the kid and others who rave about him. I'm pretty sure Otto Grove can second that motion about the kid.

My whole point is let's really put into full perspective what the effect of landing this kid could have

Let's please drop and end all the once in the lifetime recruit stuff. Because something said by a person (with excitement) turns into something negative toward a recruit via trying to defend a stance. Now we have fans talking why a players "isn't" or "he could turn out to be this". Let's be mindful recruits, the families and friends read this stuff. I know without a question Robert has read this blog and chats with Otto Grove on a regular. As a Syracuse supporter let's keep this kids forum positive.

I will address the *4 or *5 discussion. Make no mistakes about it who every get's this kid is getting a *5 star player. Those *stars are very political. No harm to the media who ranks but many of those guys have never played football and most of those rankings come from those camps in tee shirt and shorts. I will lean on the "College Coaches" evaluation on who is the best RB in this kids class. You know the ones who get paid to do it and job is actually on the line. Robert holds 40 plus offers more than any RB in the country. The college coaches have spoken. To put this in full circle Ohio State is still actively recruiting the kid after receiving a commitment from the "#1 RB" in the class

Now on to my next point

B. He's a great high school football player that is a proven winner with the stats, accolades and championships to back it up.
D. He's already 215 pounds as a High School junior (bigger than any current back we have)
F. He's a kid in the heart of the conference we compete in (ACC). Getting him could form major pipelines for our staff in the Southeast

Like I have said guys players are a hit or miss no matter what but I rather miss with a high character kid. #44 is not only about your on the field production. It's a way of life and tribute to the past men that wore that number. We don't just celebrate Jim, Ernie and Floyd for being outstanding football players. We also celebrate the men they was and still are. This kid is special mark my words. So if I say this kid is a "program changer" I mean that in all aspects. That's not to down play any other player that we have gotten or that is in the program currently. Look at the tweet from ESPN's Tom V about the kid and others who rave about him. I'm pretty sure Otto Grove can second that motion about the kid.

My whole point is let's really put into full perspective what the effect of landing this kid could have

well said. Getting this kid would turn our program around. People dont get it. Kids want to play with other good kids. it will snowball.

Now on to my next point

Unless you personally know Robert Washington and are privy to his thinking, this entire post is conjecture and wish casting.

leftytg said:
Unless you personally know Robert Washington and are privy to his thinking, this entire post is conjecture and wish casting.

You need to read up on him - doesn't take a personal relationship. Try google.

Obtaing this kind of money for the Dome replacement isn't all that difficult . The naming rightist offered to the right companies or individual with tR maybe Microsoft or Bill Gates. The possibilities are endless. These companies spend a lot of money for publicity and advertising Direct this to the school.With Newhouse go to networks like ESPN,CBS , or god forbid "Fox"

Oh, no doubt, it's never difficult to convince somebody to give you millions of dollars to renovate or replace a college football stadium. Bill Gates has a lot to gain by putting his company's name on a football stadium in the 84th biggest media market in the country. It's almost too simple.

This potentially reminds me a bit of McNabbs decision to turn down more high profile programs to come to Syracuse. A bit of a recruiting coup. Granted, McNabb came to a top 25 program at the time, but I think it was his presence that ultimately kept Syracuse competitive for the next 4-5 years. Not just because of what he did on the field, but because he was a good kid off the field, and the media loved him, and when the media loves a guy, their focus on that individual keeps the program nationally relevant, and in the forefront of other recruits minds.
Mr. Washington, if you come to Syracuse, you could potentially have the same impact as Donovan McNabb. You could be the face of a program with incredible history. You could actually transcend college football, and become a household name because of the things you do on and off the field.
Maybe after you leave, kids will want to play at the school the Robert Washington played at.

This potentially reminds me a bit of McNabbs decision to turn down more high profile programs to come to Syracuse. A bit of a recruiting coup.
Not to nitpick anything, but wasn't Nebraska the only other school that offered McNabb as a quarterback? I thought any other schools were recruiting him solely as an athlete, and that's a big part of the reason we were able to land him.

Tim Green might be the best example, though he was obviously an upstate NY kid so it was staying home to help build his hometown team.

Not to nitpick anything, but wasn't Nebraska the only other school that offered McNabb as a quarterback? I thought any other schools were recruiting him solely as an athlete, and that's a big part of the reason we were able to land him.

Tim Green might be the best example, though he was obviously an upstate NY kid so it was staying home to help build his hometown team.
Yep, and they had a dual threat guy already, maybe Frazier.

This potentially reminds me a bit of McNabbs decision to turn down more high profile programs to come to Syracuse. A bit of a recruiting coup. Granted, McNabb came to a top 25 program at the time, but I think it was his presence that ultimately kept Syracuse competitive for the next 4-5 years. Not just because of what he did on the field, but because he was a good kid off the field, and the media loved him, and when the media loves a guy, their focus on that individual keeps the program nationally relevant, and in the forefront of other recruits minds.
Mr. Washington, if you come to Syracuse, you could potentially have the same impact as Donovan McNabb. You could be the face of a program with incredible history. You could actually transcend college football, and become a household name because of the things you do on and off the field.
Maybe after you leave, kids will want to play at the school the Robert Washington played at.

I'm not Robert Washington but I do know him personally and have insight on him.

Now on to my next point

This is somewhat directed at me so let me be clear.

I have stated with every one of my posts that Washington is a great player and would be a tremendous addition to Syracuse University's football program. And I have no doubt he would be the best player we have signed in the last 10 years. I don't think that's up for debate.

My comments are not intended to be personal to the recruit - not the case at all.

But some people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the history of Syracuse football recruiting. And it's much more than a person "with excitement".

This is somewhat directed at me so let me be clear.

I have stated with every one of my posts that Washington is a great player and would be a tremendous addition to Syracuse University's football program. And I have no doubt he would be the best player we have signed in the last 10 years. I don't think that's up for debate.

My comments are not intended to be personal to the recruit - not the case at all.

But some people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the history of Syracuse football recruiting. And it's much more than a person "with excitement".

The post wasn't directed at you it was more of adding to what you was saying. I wanted to give the bloggers a little more depth into him. I'm a Syracuse fan just like everyone else here. After I found out he was offered by Syracuse I started following his threads. Every time I see him I always tell him how much support Syracuse has for him.

The post wasn't directed at you it was more of adding to what you was saying. I wanted to give the bloggers a little more depth into him. I'm a Syracuse fan just like everyone else here. After I found out he was offered by Syracuse I started following his threads. Every time I see him I always tell him how much support Syracuse has for him.
Can you share his thinking on selecting a school so relatively early in the process (reportedly March)?

CaliLuv808 - You have 44 Messages...it's a sign! Don't post any more! Just kidding, please tell us more about Mr. Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom