Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 10 posts or so have made me depressed :(

In any case, CaliLuv, if all other things are equal, what do the other schools offer RW in comparison to #44? In other words, if 44 isn't offered up, what would make him select another school? Are they offering up specific things he has asked for? Or is it just a matter that a particular non-SU school better meets his other criteria?

In regards to other school's he hasn't asked for anything. He never made demands to Syracuse or any sorts. Let me break it down with Syracuse

1. Syracuse offers him in 9th grader (6th offer) after Mississippi State, Ole Miss, UCLA, Arizona State, Akron
2. He built a relationship with Syracuse same as with any other college
3. The RB tradition and #44 was tossed out as a option in coming to Syracuse. That peaked the kids interest.
4. Syracuse fans started to show a lot of love to him while pushing the restore #44

A lot of people wonder why he was interested in Syracuse. It was the chance to rebuild the RB tradition. He thought it was no better way then wearing the #44. So when you have people like Jerome Smith saying hey you shouldn't pick a school because of a number. Well that was the draw to Syracuse in the beginning. Which is what the fans is saying it can be used as a recruiting tool. No everyone #44 won't work on but in Robert case it will. Now lets go back to point #3 on my list. Robert never thought in a million years that he would have the chance to wear #44 so Syracuse was just like any other school at that point. Once the #44 ideal was tossed to Robert he started to zero in on Syracuse.

So compared to other schools Syracuse doesn't have a chance outside of #44 again thats the draw in which Robert did not start that talk.

Ok so I just checked and restore44.com is available. I'm willing to buy it if we have a web designer / editor that can get a simple setup going.
I think someone already started a website a few months ago.

No offense to anyone but I know that when other schools tried using negative recruiting at the end of last cycle to steal some of our commits the staff was livid. I think you remember that there were tweets from Eric about it. The only thing negative that I can think of that could have been said about any of the other schools Robert is considering is UNC. That being that the NCAA is probably going to sanction them because of the academic scandal that is being investigated there. I don't think that should be a surprise to anyone nor do I think that is negative recruiting. Just a statement of a real possibility.

I get your point but your guessing what it is. I know because I seen it with my eyes and it was negative recruiting. It had nothing to do with UNC and any sanctions. If that's the staff angle it comes off as negative. Recruit players on YOUR program and what it has to offer.

It's one person who did it and they don't coach a position. So it's not a reflection on the entire staff. But it's a major negative. #44 is no secret it has been put out there every which way he could put it out there. The family respects any approach to #44 that's taken. That means offering it or not. Say they don't offer it okay offer #5 then recruit him on something else but no negative recruiting against anybody else. That turns recruits and their family off. I could go in but I'm not on this public forum.

So basically Shafer is dropping the ball. No surprise. And i'm going to assume it's either Eric White, or Cole Dial doing the negative recruiting. You're right stupid. I had a feeling when Robert moved his decision back it was bad news for Syracuse. You're totally right after a 3-9 season, and 15 years of college football purgatory we have absolutely no business playing hardball over a jersey. I just don't get it, and Shafer doesn't either. I guarantee almost all of the Syracse fans who have followed the program our whole lives, not just the past 7 years, would have offered Robert the # last year if it was our choice. Unfortunately it's not. Either way it sounds like Robert, and his camp are getting very frustrated, and that's not sitting well with me.

I get your point but your guessing what it is. I know because I seen it with my eyes and it was negative recruiting. It had nothing to do with UNC and any sanctions. If that's the staff angle it comes off as negative. Recruit players on YOUR program and what it has to offer.

Here is what we offer

1. A Great community.
2. Good leaders and molders of young men
3. LEGENDARY History outside of just the #44
4. Great academics
5. A fanbase itching for playmakers
6. The opportunity to play early
7. The opportunity to turn that time into being drafted.
8. Make a difference on the team and community.

PS our # 5 also has a huge role in our history.

If he wants to commit it should be based on all that. The # should be icing. I hope we do it, when the new AD comes in. Order of business #1 or #1a (Lock up Mike Hopkins)

Very strong words in here these past few posts. So if I'm following this correctly someone affiliated with the program was throwing stink bombs regarding some other schools on Roberts list?

And also the staff is trying their hardest to get #44 for Robert, but there seem to be holdups?

Seriously do we have the chancellors email? If so we need to take this restore44 to him! This is madness.

Someone in a position of authority / power has to be able to make this happen.

Also there are Cuse fans on TOS saying that Robert doesn't deserve 44? Those fools need to go be salty somewhere else. Madness, sheer madness.

All of this after just watching an episode of Vikings! Makes me want to go midevil on some fools!

Honestly I don't think the hold up is/was Gross/Floyd/JB like we thought. Pretty sure Shafer isn't going to hand it out of HS, and will put it on the table, but wants it to be earned. If that will hinder us getting RW, then it's pretty damn stupid imo.

Especially since White is (to my understanding) the guy Robert really first connected with.

Secondly, I hate to see Robert might be wavering over something like a number.

Dude is a star in the making, and if all it takes to get him here is 44, we need to just do it. But if "making him earn it" is what SU wants to do (which I disagree with completely) and Robert decides that's not good enough, Id have to wonder if SU was really everything he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, he is everything we need, everything we want, he is as classy a guy out there, and an exceptional football player to boot. But if he decides to go elsewhere citing a number as the reason (even if that number is 44) I think that just seems an unlikely real reason, especially if as we have heard, the staff wants to give it to him, and it's the ADs office that gets to make the final decision.

All of that said hopefully we are able to give him 44 and he comes here and everybody is happy in the end.

I can see the fear from the ADs office though, if they bring it back and whoever the first guy to get 44 (Robert in this case) flops miserably, or gets into trouble of off the field or gets hurt them fearing the backlash. I don't think Robert becomes anything but a classy star at the next level so I'm not worried about it. But I can see why the AD would be afraid of doing it.

Screw it, give Robert 44 tomorrow so we can get him in the fold.

You have valid Syracuse fan points. But again what is the lure to Syracuse? Some one on the staff throw that out to Robert which got him thinking. If they never would have done that we wouldn't be having this discussion. Now this will not turn on Robert with "a number" argument. Everyone knows that's Syracuse advantage at this point. That's not a secret. It should have never been thrown out there to him. They should have just recruited him on what Syracuse has to offer just like every other program recruiting him is doing. I guess a 3-9 season won't work. Ok let's sell him on academics. No that won't work either. While Syracuse academics is top notch compared to Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Notre Dame, Michigan, Boston College, ect it doesn't sell over those programs. Ok let's sell him on relationship with the staff. Robert has never spoken with the HC and never meet him. While he is speaks with Nick Saban, Jim harbaugh, Urban Meyer on a regular basis. Ok let's try early playing time. Syracuse will have 5 plus RB's in his freshmen year. Ok let's use negative recruiting. C'Mon man seriously that's your only selling point.

My point the lure has always been #44 and I might add the outstanding fan base. he loves the fans. So why is the tone turning to if he doesn't come because of a number talk. Just crazy stuff to me.

Honestly I don't think the hold up is/was Gross/Floyd/JB like we thought. Pretty sure Shafer isn't going to hand it out of HS, and will put it on the table, but wants it to be earned. If that will hinder us getting RW, then it's pretty damn stupid imo.
And you know this how? I guess HCSS forced Gross into retiring the number too.

You have valid Syracuse fan points. But again what is the lure to Syracuse? Some one on the staff throw that out to Robert which got him thinking. If they never would have done that we wouldn't be having this discussion. Now this will not turn on Robert with "a number" argument. Everyone knows that's Syracuse advantage at this point. That's not a secret. It should have never been thrown out there to him. They should have just recruited him on what Syracuse has to offer just like every other program recruiting him is doing. I guess a 3-9 season won't work. Ok let's sell him on academics. No that won't work either. While Syracuse academics is top notch compared to Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Notre Dame, Michigan, Boston College, ect it doesn't sell over those programs. Ok let's sell him on relationship with the staff. Robert has never spoken with the HC and never meet him. While he is speaks with Nick Saban, Jim harbaugh, Urban Meyer on a regular basis. Ok let's try early playing time. Syracuse will have 5 plus RB's in his freshmen year. Ok let's use negative recruiting. C'Mon man seriously that's your only selling point.

My point the lure has always been #44 and I might add the outstanding fan base. he loves the fans. So why is the tone turning to if he doesn't come because of a number talk. Just crazy stuff to me.

Cali that is the very large minority of people. Most people feel that if it could be used as a tool, you use it. Bottom line.

Edit - Did you say he hasn't spoke to Shafer?

Leans back grabs popcorn. This THREAD IS ABOUT TO GO NUCLEAR>

Thanks. A lot of valid points. And amazing that Shafer has not spoken with RW yet. I've been a Shafer guy from the beginning, but this truly boggles the mind, if true. Even though Marrone wasn't them most approachable guy, there is video evidence of him doing his best to persuade a top tier recruit to come to SU.

Thanks. A lot of valid points. And amazing that Shafer has not spoken with RW yet. I've been a Shafer guy from the beginning, but this truly boggles the mind, if true. Even though Marrone wasn't them most approachable guy, there is video evidence of him doing his best to persuade a top tier recruit to come to SU.
If he hasn't spoken with the kid and we lose him, that fact would become known and would result in a big time loss of good will that he currently still enjoys.

And you know this how? I guess HCSS forced Gross into retiring the number too.

Well Gross is gone, but even before that the talks of bringing the number back were ongoing. It sounds like we are ready to bring the # back, but Shafer initially wanted to grant it to someone who earned it. Hopefully things can change, but while everyone is sending letters to the Chancellor, i also suggest sending them to Shafer because he will have a say in how the number is handed out.

You're just going to have to believe me, or don't. I'm sure there are plenty of people like RF who won't, and that's totally fine with me, but i'm just putting it out there for those who do.

Here is what we offer

1. A Great community.
2. Good leaders and molders of young men
3. LEGENDARY History outside of just the #44
4. Great academics
5. A fanbase itching for playmakers
6. The opportunity to play early
7. The opportunity to turn that time into being drafted.
8. Make a difference on the team and community.

PS our # 5 also has a huge role in our history.

If he wants to commit it should be based on all that. The # should be icing. I hope we do it, when the new AD comes in. Order of business #1 or #1a (Lock up Mike Hopkins)

No disrespect
I really cant grasp the justification for not giving this kid the number! It is literally driving me crazy that SU can't get this right!

This kid is the right choice to start the next generation of 44! He exemplifies the standard of 44 on and off the field and comes from a great family. I know this kid is gonna be great, and I hope it's while wearing Orange. This program has become stale over the last 15 years and could really use the excitement and talent this kid would bring to our team. It seems like such a no-brainer to me! :bang:

Is there nothing we as fans can do? Most here have gone through multiple channels trying to get this done. The machine that is social media has been demanding the restoration of our beloved tradition for over a year now! Those individuals that are too short-sighted to see how badly we need this are being blind to the realities of our program's situation.

I was born into the Orange faithful and my fandom has never wavered, but I'd be lying to myself if I was to say that I am proud of where we've been as a program for most of my life. It's disheartening when you invest so much, and receive so little in return. In the grand scheme of things restoring this number will mean very little to those outside of our program and has the possibility of restoring not only tradition, but awakening a fanbase that has been stagnated by the lack of success as of late.

The SUAD seems to lack proactive policies in regards to our once proud program. There should be no question which way this decision should go. Please, I'm begging, Please give us and the future of our fanbase some hope!

#Restore44

You are totally on point with your response. I couldn't agree more. This is not about Robert at all. Robert can commit elsewhere and be forgotten about. Or commit to Syracuse and be forgotten about. My point is what is people doing to not be 3-9 again. What is the light at the end of tunnel for the fans. We all know whats going down with the basketball program. And maybe the success of the basketball program has taken light away from the football program. So the typical fan can digest a 3-9 season.

Again Robert aside. Okay they don't restore #44. What is the refreshing approach to recruiting?

I'd advise against specifically referencing Robert too much.

This whole thing doesn't work if it's just about one player. It has to be about restoring the entire legacy. The chancellor isn't going to care about one recruit. I would actually suggest not mentioning Robert at all, if possible. Restoring the number has to be about a bigger purpose than a single player, otherwise it won't work.

(Obviously, we want 44 for Robert. But that's not the point here. The point is that, again, it has to be about restoring the legacy. That's far and away the best point of attack.)

Exactly. Restoring #44 is about refreshing recruiting and having a leverage. Again some may care and some may not. But at the end of the day it's something. This is not about Robert and never should be. Robert situation just shed light on what the fans have been wanting from the powers to be for years.

Hard to believe we are stalling on this, Robert represents the best chance for a TOp 25 recruiting class, no doubt he will bring other elite talent with him, if we don't do this and we have another sub par season and Shafer is let go, we are back to rebuilding again and if we are lucky will get back to this point in another 4 years. This has a chance to cement Shafer and bring Syracuse back. Someone email Mike Tirico because he wanted an AD that will bring the football team back to prominence, well here ya go new AD on a silver platter.

Cali that is the very large minority of people. Most people feel that if it could be used as a tool, you use it. Bottom line.

Edit - Did you say he hasn't spoke to Shafer?

Leans back grabs popcorn. This THREAD IS ABOUT TO GO NUCLEAR>

Yes that's what I'm saying. He might have on one occasion and that's a might. The family came up and no sit down with him at all. Ok I get it he's a HC. Well Urban Meyer sat down with the family for over a hour after playing Michigan. Same for Coach P at TCU. Actual a hour plus on two different occasions. And that goes for every HC on his short list.

It's not quite the same as buying a whole new domain, but I created a subdomain on my website: http://restore44..com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom