Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the days of Jim Brown in the Cotton Bowl, I've seen many of the players who wore #44, it never should have been retired. Robert is exactly the type of person the number was meant for, and it needs to come down from the rafters, and be on the field where it belongs.

I cant believe Schafer hasnt talked to him face to face, like are you effin kidding me? He should be the first one talking to Robert to show him how much we want him at SU. Theres no excuse out there why he hasnt done so unless he was on the moon. He tries to stress the family atmosphere but i havent seen no tight family not talk in person. What a disgrace and a bigger joke on top of that. I hope this is a April fools joke.

Going back to the days of Jim Brown in the Cotton Bowl, I've seen many of the players who wore #44, it never should have been retired. Robert is exactly the type of person the number was meant for, and it needs to come down from the rafters, and be on the field where it belongs.

+1

So it wasn't a question when it was handed to Konrad. I don't think anybody questioned it very much, as it was the coaches' decision. Could David Walker have worn the number? Yes, but he didn't and it was available. Instead, it was used to entice Terry Richardson from Florida.

We all know Jim Brown was given the number, not by a coach, but by the equipment manager. Fourteen people wore the number prior to him, and most were WR or Offensive Linemen. Heck, JB wasn't even the first RB to wear it. It was what JB did while wearing that number that helped cement it's legacy. He was not a choir boy, but he was principled and strong willed in the face of adversity. What he did with it after that also matters. He, at the coaches request, offered it to Ernie Davis. We know what Davis did wearing it, but he also did one more thing... offered it to Floyd Little. A passing of the baton. A challenge to the next guy to advance the legacy. These guys did not wear it in successive years. Each one had a player after them that was not Jim Brown or Ernie Davis, etc. That is important to note. the number was used even when it wasn't worn by a prospective Heisman candidate.

That's really the point here. It is an imperfect thing, and that doesn't take away from its lore, it enriches it. It exemplifies catching lightning in a bottle, and if you want to do that, you're going to have to weather the storm. Nobody or no thing is perfect. We should not remove the chance for greatness out of fear of failure.

While at SU I went to a lecture by Henry Rollins. One of the greatest things he said that night (and for the record he is an increadible speaker and motivator) was that we can't afford to be awed by people, we instead must be inspired by them. To me that is what 44 means, and that seems to be what Robert Washington is allowing the prospect of 44 do for him. That is why this seems a very appropriate awakening of the lighting in the bottle.

Last edited:
Yes that's what I'm saying. He might have on one occasion and that's a might. The family came up and no sit down with him at all. Ok I get it he's a HC. Well Urban Meyer sat down with the family for over a hour after playing Michigan. Same for Coach P at TCU. Actual a hour plus on two different occasions. And that goes for every HC on his short list.
When did Robert and family visit? This is the exact opposite story that you hear from other recruits.

Begs the question...was HCSS in town?

Where are Floyd, Coach Mac and Coach P?

All wore it or awarded it to an incoming freshmen. Sounds like somebody needs to have a sit down. My Italian peeps know whats up.

When did Robert and family visit? This is the exact opposite story that you hear from other recruits.

Begs the question...was HCSS in town?

I thought he visited for the FSU game, or some home game this year.

Page 7...He was there after a game so HCSS was there. He has pictures with White and Smith I believe.

Here's my thing about whether or not 44 needs to be "earned" on the field. Look, I get that. Other schools do it. But Syracuse never has. It's always been given out to a deserving incoming freshman, when we actually used to give it out.

To me, changing up the tradition from giving it to a deserving freshman to making a player "earn it" is almost as misguided as retiring it. You're messing with tradition either way. Don't screw with a good thing.

So it wasn't a question when it was handed to Konrad. I don't think anybody questioned it very much, as it was the coaches' decision. Could David Walker have worn the number? Yes, but he didn't and it was available. Instead, it was used to entice Terry Richardson from Florida.

We all know Jim Brown was given the number, not by a coach, but by the equipment manager. Fourteen people wore teh number prior to him, and most were WR or Offensive Linemen. Heck, JB wasn't even the first RB to wear it. It was what JB did while wearing that number that helped cement it's legacy. He was not a choir boy, but he was principled and strong willed in the face of adversity. What he did with it that also matters, is he offered it to Ernie Davis. We know what Davis did wearing it, but he also did one more thing... offered it to Floyd Little. These guys did not wear it in successive years. Each one had a player after them that was not Jim Brown or Ernie Davis, etc. That is important to note. the number was used even when it wasn't worn by a prospective Heisman candidate.

That's really the point here. It is an imperfect thing, and that doesn't take away from its lore, it enriches it. It exemplifies catching lightning in a bottle, and if you want to do that, you're going to have to weather the storm. Nobody or no thing is perfect. We should not remove the chance for greatness out of fear of failure. While at SU I went to a lecture by Henry Rollins. One of the greatest things he said that night (and for the record he is an increadible speaker and motivator) was that can't afford to be awed by people, we instead must be inspired by them. To me that is what 44 means, and that seems to be what Robert Washington is allowing the propect of 44 do for him. That is why this seems a very appropriate awakening of the lighting in the bottle.

It was an imperfect tradition but it was OUR tradition. Giving to a player that "earns " it is not the tradition. There was a certain level of excitement when a new recruit received it - more or less everyone wondering if this guy is the next Jim/Ernie/Floyd or if he was going to be a big difference maker in the program. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't.

How does giving the number to someone who is already a difference maker in the program generate any more excitement or interest? Answer - it doesn't. It just adds a "sure thing" name to a list which to me isn't any different than having a ring of honor or whatever anyway.

I cant believe Schafer hasnt talked to him face to face, like are you effin kidding me? He should be the first one talking to Robert to show him how much we want him at SU. Theres no excuse out there why he hasnt done so unless he was on the moon. He tries to stress the family atmosphere but i havent seen no tight family not talk in person. What a disgrace and a bigger joke on top of that. I hope this is a April fools joke.

First off Robert is a Junior this puts restrictions on contact by the coaching staff under the rules of recruiting by the NCAA. The only face to face allowed would require the family to make another visit to Syracuse. The coaches can not visit with them off campus.
Even phone calls are restricted as only one call is allowed to be made between April 15th and May 31st during a high school football player's junior year.

First off Robert is a Junior this puts restrictions on contact by the coaching staff under the rules of recruiting by the NCAA. The only face to face allowed would require the family to make another visit to Syracuse. The coaches can not visit with them off campus.
Even phone calls are restricted as only one call is allowed to be made between April 15th and May 31st during a high school football player's junior year.

How come all the other head coaches have talked to him , and some multiple times? Coach SS should of scheduled a time to actually give him the respect to have a sit down. No excuses!

It seems the top coaches in the country can make this happen but our coaches time is too valuable to talk to the one recruit that may be capable of saving his job.

How come all the other head coaches have talked to him , and some multiple times? Coach SS should of scheduled a time to actually give him the respect to have a sit down. No excuses!

Because they visited some of those schools multiple times. SU only once.

BztKaGHIQAAes73.jpg:large

5:16 PM - 11 Oct 2014
Robert Washington‏@RDubb_5 12h12 hours ago
Me and Coach Smith... Had fun today at #Cuse Look forward to him coming down to watch me play next week

This coach had time to meet with Robert? Why not HCSS?

Cali's impressions are Coach SS could be doing better. Straight from someone close to RW.

Legacy is saying you can't do better given the rules.

Yes. And if the Washingtons want to speak to the coaches otherwise they have to place the call. It is the convoluted NCAA rules of recruiting.

I signed it. I have such a sinking feeling in my stomach. If all of this in the last few pages are true I don't think our current staff will be here much longer, which means more turn over, which means more crappy seasons, which means soon we will just be what we have become, a crappy football school.

We all know Jim Brown was given the number, not by a coach, but by the equipment manager. Fourteen people wore the number prior to him, and most were WR or Offensive Linemen. Heck, JB wasn't even the first RB to wear it. It was what JB did while wearing that number that helped cement it's legacy. He was not a choir boy, but he was principled and strong willed in the face of adversity. What he did with it after that also matters. He, at the coaches request, offered it to Ernie Davis. We know what Davis did wearing it, but he also did one more thing... offered it to Floyd Little. A passing of the baton. A challenge to the next guy to advance the legacy. These guys did not wear it in successive years. Each one had a player after them that was not Jim Brown or Ernie Davis, etc. That is important to note. the number was used even when it wasn't worn by a prospective Heisman candidate.

That's really the point here. It is an imperfect thing, and that doesn't take away from its lore, it enriches it. It exemplifies catching lightning in a bottle, and if you want to do that, you're going to have to weather the storm. Nobody or no thing is perfect. We should not remove the chance for greatness out of fear of failure.

While at SU I went to a lecture by Henry Rollins. One of the greatest things he said that night (and for the record he is an increadible speaker and motivator) was that we can't afford to be awed by people, we instead must be inspired by them. To me that is what 44 means, and that seems to be what Robert Washington is allowing the prospect of 44 do for him. That is why this seems a very appropriate awakening of the lighting in the bottle.

Great post, and anyone who references Henry Rollins is ok with me.

You mentioned Brown offering it to Davis...and Davis to Little...

Would it be too much to hope the coaches are simply trying to arrange a way for Rob Konrad to swim from Miami up to North Carolina so he can offer it to Robert?

You mentioned Brown offering it to Davis...and Davis to Little...

Would it be too much to hope the coaches are simply trying to arrange a way for Rob Konrad to swim from Miami up to North Carolina so he can offer it to Robert?
Actually, I get the lineage aspect of that, but why not Floyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom