Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Bam. But part of my issue is the way it was written. He wrote that quote in the sense that Syracuse was in position to land him. The committment kids is made into a big deal and special occasion for them. I think its pretty upsetting to them when that announcement becomes ruined. Happens pretty frequently where kids are disappointment when their announcement is ruined.

Our reports should be sensitive to that

Doctor44 said:
I agree with Bam. But part of my issue is the way it was written. He wrote that quote in the sense that Syracuse was in position to land him. The committment kids is made into a big deal and special occasion for them. I think its pretty upsetting to them when that announcement becomes ruined. Happens pretty frequently where kids are disappointment when their announcement is ruined. Our reports should be sensitive to that

He wrote the quote the way it was said, and he later repeated the quotes to RW Sr. and he was fine with them.

Bailey never said RW was coming to SU, but RW Sr.'s quotes imply that. Bailey let RW Sr. write the story. Nice job.

If RW isn't coming to SU, saying SU fans don't have to worry about RW does us no good. He's either in or he isn't. We're not looking for a consolation prize.

I'm nout doubting that at all. But those can be cheated, especially if he's been coached up. Laser time is hand start laser finish, which can be anywhere from a tenth to almost 2 tenths off of pure electronic timing. These kids can shoot the hand through, rock the start, etc. I work out at a place that trains players for the combines and there are definitely some games being played.

That being said, the point of my initial post is that I think he can be great. I like his film and would love, love to have him in Orange. However, I get queasy when people say this player or that player is a "must get." I think we have some excellent options out there (I love Tyler Thompson's film too) and Washington isn't going to make or break this program. We've seen it all from Ishaq to Lavar Lobdell. Offers and stars aren't all of it. Kids can make themselves great, just as your son is trying to do by getting his ass to the gym at 5 AM.

It's a major jump to the next level. Some kids have no problem adjusting to playing the game where every kid is as big, strong, and fast as you are. Some never adjust. I think Washington can absolutely do it, but he, like every other player to sign a LOI is no sure thing.

I think he's a must get for this staff, but he's not a must get because of what he will bring to the field. Sure I think he could be a really good player for us, but RB's are a dime a dozen. I'd much rather get an elite recruit at OT, or DT. I just think getting someone of Robert's stature is something this program really needs right now. Our perception hasn't improved much since the Grob years. I'm just hoping that we get some positive attention from his commitment, that will make other elite prospects take a deeper look at us. So as a player I don't think he's a must get, but for everything else he brings i'd say it's close to a must get.

After reading Poliquins piece it's feeling like syr.com is actively going after this young man and the program today. Not a good situation for an alleged news organization to be involved in. The lack of professionalism in that article is astounding.

After reading Poliquins piece it's feeling like syr.com is actively going after this young man and the program today. Not a good situation for an alleged news organization to be involved in. The lack of professionalism in that article is astounding.

The Poliquin article is garbage. Bailey was reporting on a big story, spoke to someone for 90 minutes, and got some good info.

Never heard of Poliquins before. He sure is real good at swatting the snot out a beehive then running like hell...

I think he's a must get for this staff, but he's not a must get because of what he will bring to the field. Sure I think he could be a really good player for us, but RB's are a dime a dozen. I'd much rather get an elite recruit at OT, or DT. I just think getting someone of Robert's stature is something this program really needs right now. Our perception hasn't improved much since the Grob years. I'm just hoping that we get some positive attention from his commitment, that will make other elite prospects take a deeper look at us. So as a player I don't think he's a must get, but for everything else he brings i'd say it's close to a must get.
This is very close to how I feel. I think he will be an excellent RB. But I also realize that if we don't get him, we will still probably find someone who can rush for 1100 yards instead of the 1500 Robert would get us as, say, a junior. He's a great talent and I want him running the ball for us, but it's the impact on our perception nationally that matters the most in the grand scheme.

jekelish said:
This is very close to how I feel. I think he will be an excellent RB. But I also realize that if we don't get him, we will still probably find someone who can rush for 1100 yards instead of the 1500 Robert would get us as, say, a junior. He's a great talent and I want him running the ball for us, but it's the impact on our perception nationally that matters the most in the grand scheme.

I think he's both. And can be that good. Heisman good.

I think he's both. And can be that good. Heisman good.
I think he's both as well. But I'm saying that his commit will have a longer lasting impact on our perception, because no matter how good he winds up being, simply landing him could start a snowball effect and change our national perception with recruits. So while I want him to be (and think he is) both, it's the off field impact that really makes him a must get.

jekelish said:
I think he's both as well. But I'm saying that his commit will have a longer lasting impact on our perception, because no matter how good he winds up being, simply landing him could start a snowball effect and change our national perception with recruits. So while I want him to be (and think he is) both, it's the off field impact that really makes him a must get.

Gotcha - makes sense. And def for this cycle and maybe next.

They guys in Florida really know how to work it.

Case in point. Steven's second night there, we all went to a restaurant in town. The whole damn place was packed with Gator fans. As soon as a recruit would walk in, the place would erupt in cheering and standing ovations. It was insane. Engineered by the coaches? Probably, to a degree. But, it was impressive, and very hard to ignore.

During my time at SU, I roomed with a known hoops player. It seems silly, but these guys can learn to love the attention and while they don't live in it when it's coming to them, they can be affected when its not. In that sense, not having that attention can be a bit of a downer for them even if they don't recognize it. In this vein, I was with my roommate in NJ after the '96 tourney run. We walked into a well known deli in an area of NJ inhabited by a lot of well known sports figures. As we're ordering, he expresses to me some of his concerns about life after SU and how it will suck not to be noticed in the same way, using this trip to the deli as example. I pointed to a wall of autographed photos. A who's who of NYC sports at the time, like Phil Simms, LT, Don Mattingly, and Patrick Ewing to name a few. I explained the the people around there were just respecting his privacy and that if they didn't make a fuss it might also be because they are used to seeing those guys on the wall. On the way out, a guy walked up and told him what a great job he did i the tourney and my roommate's entire demeanor changed. I'm not saying Steven is like this, nor did I really think my roommate was, but it is impressive how much impact some of that attention can have on these guys. Not stalker like, but just recognition. I like this idea.

This board can turn into a middle school gossip board that carries on and on and repeats the same things over and over again. WOW

Just ignore the stories you don't like and stop repeating the crap you read.

Really foolish statement. Bailey did his job. Period. First, and try to get this in your head, it isn't the newspapers job to root or recruit for Syracuse.
I think he did his job but i also think his articles need polish. You only get that with experience.

That's a whiz-bang redundancy.
The salty burg is ebullient today as the sages prognosticate the young whiz bangs commitment.

Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar wh*re.
3668658_std.jpg

That poliquin article was a fluff piece piece of crap. To say nothing of being poorly timed.

That's Bud's attempt at thriving in the "click" universe. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok to my last post I will amend it to say I know this is what happened. my big concern this whole day has been that dad and son are fighting over this. I can't imagine if something like this happened to me and shy. This recruiting process is hard enough for what we went thru. I am sure it is 63 times harder for rw. With saturday approaching we should all just let it rest and hope he chooses su in the end. Let the kid enjoy his day. Let the family move past this. I've said it before I'll say it again where ever he chooses i am a fan of RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom