Class of 2016 - RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte | Page 108 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 RB Robert Washington (NC) to UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh i'm sure there will be negative comments. I'm sure the negative comments will get deleted, but i'm sure they will be there. I think part of the problem was anytime anybody tried to even hint at RW possibly not coming here, that person would automatically be attacked for being "negative". We have basically been hearing for over a month how there is a very very good chance he is coming here. I have absolutely no problem with Jekelish saying that because he trusted his source, who was as close to the situation as you would think possible. But I learned my lesson after the Ish Witter recruitment that's it's not even worth trying to say you know where a kid is going, no matter how good, or how close your source is to the situation because if something changes (and imagine that? something changing in the recruitment of a 17 year) last minute, not only do you personally get skewered, but the recruit gets negativity thrown at him because it was made to seem like a done deal.

Oh of course it is inevitable. And there is a very clear difference between throwing negativity or excessive optimism against the wall blindly vs having some substance to go with. But those who just come across totally jaded for the sake of showering the thread with their disdain need to walk it off first. The same for those who cant take a well thought conflicting opinion. All the same .. there is no "winning" the internet. So if RW goes one way or the other it is what it is. Not.. "look who was right" bs to rub salt on it.

I have a hard time believing hometown press does not take place at times or often in a College towns across the country. Tuscaloosa, Columbia, Columbus. You name um.

Doesn't seem to be the case in Syracuse. In fact the opposite.

All i'm saying.
Well, what you are saying is wrong. We don't live in Tuscaloosa or Columbia. I would bet they have issues with fans who think they should rot for the home team. Lexington's home town newspaper went after the Wildcats hoop program back about 20 years ago. That is their job.

anomander said:
Oh i'm sure there will be negative comments. I'm sure the negative comments will get deleted, but i'm sure they will be there. I think part of the problem was anytime anybody tried to even hint at RW possibly not coming here, that person would automatically be attacked for being "negative". We have basically been hearing for over a month how there is a very very good chance he is coming here. I have absolutely no problem with Jekelish saying that because he trusted his source, who was as close to the situation as you would think possible. But I learned my lesson after the Ish Witter recruitment that's it's not even worth trying to say you know where a kid is going, no matter how good, or how close your source is to the situation because if something changes (and imagine that? something changing in the recruitment of a 17 year) last minute, not only do you personally get skewered, but the recruit gets negativity thrown at him because it was made to seem like a done deal.

It should be clear that the people who were getting skewered for being negative we're being over the top AND weren't paying attention that someone close to RW was posting here.

I wish people with inside info would be given a pass when their stuff doesn't pan out. Clearly the staff and tons of people thought Ish was ours - until he wasn't.

Well, what you are saying is wrong. We don't live in Tuscaloosa or Columbia. I would bet they have issues with fans who think they should rot for the home team. Lexington's home town newspaper went after the Wildcats hoop program back about 20 years ago. That is their job.
Yup. And remember - it was the local Dallas and Fort Worth papers who took down SMU and caused them to get the death penalty in the 80s. It's not the job of the local paper to blow smoke up the arse of the local teams. Again - colleges have their own media teams that do that for them. Trust me, I know this. It's what I do for a living.

By the way - I think I'm actually starting to take it as a good sign that Robert is currently going out of his way to retweet stuff by any schools BUT Syracuse right now. It feels like an extreme overcorrection.

The only problem there is he isn't really retweeting anything from Michigan, either.

But before this blowup this week...it was almost entirely Syracuse stuff he was retweeting.

It should be clear that the people who were getting skewered for being negative we're being over the top AND weren't paying attention that someone close to RW was posting here.

I wish people with inside info would be given a pass when their stuff doesn't pan out. Clearly the staff and tons of people thought Ish was ours - until he wasn't.
Wrong

That article will have ZERO impact on RW's decision. This young man won't let his entire recruitment come down to an article that he wasn't even quoted in. Whatever his decision it will be his own. If SS wins this recruitment he will get a lot of recruiting capital credit from me.

But wasn't RW's decision made before this article? It is what it is...nothing has changed or has it?

That article will have ZERO impact on RW's decision. This young man won't let his entire recruitment come down to an article that he wasn't even quoted in. Whatever his decision it will be his own. If SS wins this recruitment he will get a lot of recruiting capital credit from me.

Totally agree. There is absolutely no way a couple articles (both Bailey and Bud) should sway your decision. Especially since they aren't even tied to the University. I could get being upset they were asking your Dad questions, and the Bud article seemed pretty personal to me, but 3 articles will out weight 3 years of recruitment. No way.

Last edited:
Wow, just read the Bud article. I'm pretty sure he couldn't be a bigger moron if he tried...:bat:
upload_2015-4-24_21-43-33.jpeg

This is Bud when he wrote that article.

Didn't Cole Dial and Deandre Smith have countdown tweets a couple of days ago? I don't see them anymore. Or I just can't figure out twitter.

Didn't Cole Dial and Deandre Smith have countdown tweets a couple of days ago? I don't see them anymore. Or I just can't figure out twitter.
Dial definitely did. It's gone now.

orangenauburn said:
Wrong

We could all go back and quote it all - but that would only magnify it on the eve of the announcement. I think the recruiting side should operate a touch different than the reg forums. Lots of parents and sometimes the recruit themselves post here or read things. In some cases it's their first real interaction with the fan base. I just think caution is the best and only option.

Lots of parents and sometimes the recruit themselves post here or read things. In some cases it's their first real interaction with the fan base. I just think caution is the best and only option.

This.

A thousand times this.

I don't think people realize how true this is. ALL OF YOU PEOPLE are the gateway to Syracuse athletics for a lot of parents and recruits. I'm not sure that's understood by many people here.

CuseHulk said:
I have a hard time believing hometown press does not take place at times or often in a College towns across the country. Tuscaloosa, Columbia, Columbus. You name um. Doesn't seem to be the case in Syracuse. In fact the opposite. All i'm saying.

Not long ago, just before the current PS staff, recruiting coverage was nil. Our recruiting coverage, particularly on the football side, benefits us of late.

Not long ago, just before the current PS staff, recruiting coverage was nil. Our recruiting coverage, particularly on the football side, benefits us of late.

I'd rather have what Rahme brought to the table though. Part of the reason he got the access he did was because he didn't consistently write articles that would piss off the staff. There past the point of no return now, but that would be a good reason for holding off on some of the stuff they have put out there the past year.

anomander said:
I'd rather have what Rahme brought to the table though. Part of the reason he got the access he did was because he didn't consistently write articles that would piss off the staff. There past the point of no return now, but that would be a good reason for holding off on some of the stuff they have put out there the past year.

Rahme is a pro, no doubt, but he and Donnie Webb had an aversion to recruiting coverage.

This.

I don't think people realize how true this is. ALL OF YOU PEOPLE are the gateway to Syracuse athletics for a lot of parents and recruits. I'm not sure that's understood by many people here.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors