RB situation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RB situation

To me it looked like he pulled up because he wanted to wrap the ball up and not risk a fumble after such a big play.

That's my story.

Probably. But against less super athletic 5-star teams, he gets to take that extra step, and then falls down in the end zone.

His speed is fine.

The hell with the top end speed, that initial move was SICK. True freshman leaving a FSU defender slapping the carpet in frustration.

Dump truck!

Agreed, it was a terrific juke. Kid is for reals.

Neal was the lead back today. Strick didn’t get in until the fourth series and didn’t get a continual run until we were up 23-7.

I’m pretty sure they rotated like they always do except Neal went first this time and they rotated 3 series vs 2. Strick played either the 3rd, 4th and 5th series or 4th, 5th, 6th series.

I also think Strick is tough as nails and has two big okays today. The pass reception and run in the first half then the late TD.

Nonsense.

Howard breaks that for a TD against just about any other team other than one with FSU's speed. His wheels are fine.
At his size and with his innate abilities...if he ran a 4.4 he is at a top tier program. That's all I'm saying. I'm also not wrong.

At his size and with his innate abilities...if he ran a 4.4 he is at a top tier program. That's all I'm saying. I'm also not wrong.
What offers did he have? I got the impression that he was going nowhere and we rescued him from the abyss.

I’m pretty sure they rotated like they always do except Neal went first this time and they rotated 3 series vs 2. Strick played either the 3rd, 4th and 5th series or 4th, 5th, 6th series.

I also think Strick is tough as nails and has two big okays today. The pass reception and run in the first half then the late TD.

He played much less than usual.

That’s true because when it was one of his turns in the rotation is when Howard came in for a couple series.

What offers did he have? I got the impression that he was going nowhere and we rescued him from the abyss.
Twofourseven shows offers from most CUSA schools and a few SEC schools near his hometown. Not sure how many are legit.

Only a very small number of college football teams have the speed that FSU has. Howard's speed is fine, and he would have scored against the other 99% of teams on that run.

Also, I certainly don't dispute that Howard wasn't highly recruited, but it is also important to recognize that schools miss on prospects all the time. Eric Dungey didn't get recruited by home state schools like Oregon or Oregon State [seems absurd in retrospect]. He also didn't garner offers from quality north western programs like Utah, Washingon, Boise State, etc.

Howard has rare physical tools. He's going to shatter his recruiting ratings.

I was wrong about the 3 series at a time. They still did 2’s. Only difference from other games was Neal went first. The series went;

Neal
Neal
Strick
Strick
Neal
Neal
Strick
Strick
Neal
Howard
Howard
Neal
Strick
Pierre

Howard only played 2 series seemed like more? 2 series 71 yards is very good.

Pierre/Howard both hit the hole quickest of the backs. I dont think Howard doesnt score on at least of the about 10 tries inside the 5 that we failed on. If Adams is the best of the bunch then RB is not an issue going forward.. Moe goes to slot next yr I think which is really where he belongs.

Just need the oline to block the power game a bit better for the offense to really go. probably cost us 20 pts just not running well in power sets

Only a very small number of college football teams have the speed that FSU has. Howard's speed is fine, and he would have scored against the other 99% of teams on that run.

Also, I certainly don't dispute that Howard wasn't highly recruited, but it is also important to recognize that schools miss on prospects all the time. Eric Dungey didn't get recruited by home state schools like Oregon or Oregon State [seems absurd in retrospect]. He also didn't garner offers from quality north western programs like Utah, Washingon, Boise State, etc.

Howard has rare physical tools. He's going to shatter his recruiting ratings.
I agree. Been calling for more playtime for Howard as soon as I saw him run. He has all the makings of an elite back. Vision, patience, body control, balance, etc. Him not having 4.4 break away speed isn't a slam just an observation and likely why someone as clearly talented as him was dismissed by the big name programs. Everytime I see him run I excited. Nice having a guy that can break a big run off seemingly every couple touches.

Nonsense.

Howard breaks that for a TD against just about any other team other than one with FSU's speed. His wheels are fine.

Agreed. His cut and move was awesome and he has plenty of speed. The FSU guys can run though like you said and they got him.

Moe and Strickland are serviceable at best but Howard needs to get as many touches as possible. Gives the running game some juice and physicality that any true contending team should have.

I thought all 3 guys played well from where I watched.

Good poise at that position btw glad these guys hit their holes and know the blocking assignment.

Strick lacks the ability to break a tackle. As soon as someone touches him, he's wrapped up.

Moe and Howard break tackles. Today proved it. They both have more of the "it" factor than Strick IMO.

I’m sorry but didn’t he break like 6 tackles to score that TD? I’ve seen him break enough tackles I think he’s a quality runner and catcher!

Strick lacks the ability to break a tackle. As soon as someone touches him, he's wrapped up.

Moe and Howard break tackles. Today proved it. They both have more of the "it" factor than Strick IMO.
didn't he break several in the 4th quarter td run???

Howard, being a true freshmen, would be better off at this stage to be the guy who keeps the clock moving...when they need to shorten the game until he learns his assignments. That said, we can only speculate how well he does know them but I trust Dino in putting Howard in situations that he and the team can be successful. I seriously do not know how this kid escaped the deep south, kudos to the staff.

I still like Pierre too. There isn't a lot of depth at RB but what's there is certainly talented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom