RB situation | Syracusefan.com

RB situation

Rocco

Watching you.
Moe Neal should clearly be our lead back. I think he proved that today. He is a shifty back who can find tight lanes in the trenches and use his vision to hit the seams. He was shedding arm tackles today and even dragging guys for a few extra yards. I'd like to see more screens for Moe. I feel that could be dangerous if the big boys can get out in front and Moe can make 1 or 2 guys miss.

Strickland simply doesn't have that ability. He is far better as a screen back than a between-the-tackles guy. With many of our designed runs being draws, he lacks the quickness to be effective. He has shown glimpses of being "the guy" at times, but is too inconsistent for me to remain confident in him. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like our offense is peaking when he is our back on the field. Strickland is the best at picking up the blitz, but Howard showed that he can lay the lumber today.

The most promising of all of them is Dump Truck Howard. This kid has the potential to be a very good. First off, it's amazing that he was available as late in the recruiting cycle as he was. He runs downhill and has a nice little burst. He obviously lacks straight-line speed, but I feel like he is perfect for tiring the opposing D, especially their LBs and secondary. Amazing to me that we went with 3 straight Strickland runs from the 1 when we have Moe and Jarveon standing there. Just baffling.

If I had it my way, Moe and Howard would be 1A and 1B moving forward. Strickland would be better off used in the slot or elsewhere. The quickness of Moe and the bruising style of Howard give us our own version of Thunder & Lightning. They have far different running games that would keep opposing DC's and LB's from getting settled in.

Happy to have Howard for the next 4 years and Moe coming back for another year.

Side note: our supposed best RB isn't even eligible to play this year. Yep, Adams has been really, really good in practice, too.

Future seems to be promising in the backfield.

Yep, figure out how to get our best playmakers on the field. Move Strick into the slot or 3rd down/Redzone back when they aren't going tempo.

He is great with the ball in his hands in space, but from the set back, not so much.

Getting Howard a year under his belt to get blocking down, help direct the OL, and just get the general pace of the ACC down is crucial. While Babers was at BG, he used dual runningback systems, and if Howard's ready to start next year we can implement that really effectively with Adams/Neal.

Howard’s the 3rd down red zone back

Stricks a far better receiver

Love our stable of backs moving forward. Some of these frosh seem as though edinger followed them around in HS. Futures so bright...we gotta wear shades:)

What I saw was Howard is a stud with awesome cutback but lacks a bit in high gear which is perfect for us till we get the five star kids at 4.3 speed. I hate on strick but he made me look stupid today. He isn’t an all around great back with cut back ability, he is a downhill hit a gap hard as flick and try tackle me. I have given this poor guy crap for three years and today I am dumber than I used to be. He did really good. Neal did a good job also as well as our oline. Great job elephants.

What I saw was Howard is a stud with awesome cutback but lacks a bit in high gear which is perfect for us till we get the five star kids at 4.3 speed. I hate on strick but he made me look stupid today. He isn’t an all around great back with cut back ability, he is a downhill hit a gap hard as flick and try tackle me. I have given this poor guy crap for three years and today I am dumber than I used to be. He did really good. Neal did a good job also as well as our oline. Great job elephants.

Strick lacks the ability to break a tackle. As soon as someone touches him, he's wrapped up.

Moe and Howard break tackles. Today proved it. They both have more of the "it" factor than Strick IMO.

the reason we were able to get Howard is because he doesn't have that top end speed.

Just watched replay after being at the game earlier. The move that Howard put on the LB to break his long run was filthy. That cannot be taught and Strick is missing that ability. Difference between a 2 vs 50 yard gain.
Look I ageee 100 percent but just felt strick did w3ll especially last run for td. He isn’t as good as Howard but he gives us what he can give and never stops. Howard is pure and sweet. Can’t teach what he does.

the reason we were able to get Howard is because he doesn't have that top end speed.

Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders didn't have top end speed either.

It is a bonus, but certainly not the highest priority skill a RB needs. Too soon by far to be comparing Howard to those guys, except that they shared his weakness in the speed department.

Just watched replay after being at the game earlier. The move that Howard put on the LB to break his long run was filthy. That cannot be taught and Strick is missing that ability. Difference between a 2 vs 50 yard gain.
I just watched the game, and that same play jumped right out at me. I couldn't tell watching it at the game, but you echoed my exact thought as I re-watched it. Howard made the LB miss, and ripped off 50. Strick would have met him head on and gained a couple.

Moe Neal should clearly be our lead back. I think he proved that today. He is a shifty back who can find tight lanes in the trenches and use his vision to hit the seams. He was shedding arm tackles today and even dragging guys for a few extra yards. I'd like to see more screens for Moe. I feel that could be dangerous if the big boys can get out in front and Moe can make 1 or 2 guys miss.

Strickland simply doesn't have that ability. He is far better as a screen back than a between-the-tackles guy. With many of our designed runs being draws, he lacks the quickness to be effective. He has shown glimpses of being "the guy" at times, but is too inconsistent for me to remain confident in him. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like our offense is peaking when he is our back on the field. Strickland is the best at picking up the blitz, but Howard showed that he can lay the lumber today.

The most promising of all of them is Dump Truck Howard. This kid has the potential to be a very good. First off, it's amazing that he was available as late in the recruiting cycle as he was. He runs downhill and has a nice little burst. He obviously lacks straight-line speed, but I feel like he is perfect for tiring the opposing D, especially their LBs and secondary. Amazing to me that we went with 3 straight Strickland runs from the 1 when we have Moe and Jarveon standing there. Just baffling.

If I had it my way, Moe and Howard would be 1A and 1B moving forward. Strickland would be better off used in the slot or elsewhere. The quickness of Moe and the bruising style of Howard give us our own version of Thunder & Lightning. They have far different running games that would keep opposing DC's and LB's from getting settled in.

Side note: our supposed best RB isn't even eligible to play this year. Yep, Adams has been really, really good in practice, too.

I think we have an official nickname. Somebody get some clever editing done pronto.
kisspng-kamaz-55111-car-dump-truck-kamaz-6520-dump-truck-5acdad8272e008.3139952615234287384705.jpg

Strick is way better our in space. Always has been- I remember a flare pass he took to the end zone freshman year after he made a nice cut. Please put him in the slot. The slot needs help

Thought Strickland was great today. That last td run was beautiful, dragging a defender the last 5 yards. Think the coaches are doing a good job of working Howard in and getting him acclimated to this level of play. He's special. Next year with him, Adams, and Neal should be a lot of fun.

Strickland leads the team in TDs, FWIW.

Sure. He has 33 carries for 109 yards, 5 TDs. He's averaging 3.3 YPC.

If Moe and/or Howard split up those 33 carries, it would be interesting to the see the yardage.

I'm not saying Strick is a bad player, I just think that Moe and Howard are both better and should get the majority of the snaps.

Neal was the lead back today. Strick didn’t get in until the fourth series and didn’t get a continual run until we were up 23-7.

Sure. He has 33 carries for 109 yards, 5 TDs. He's averaging 3.3 YPC.

If Moe and/or Howard split up those 33 carries, it would be interesting to the see the yardage.

I'm not saying Strick is a bad player, I just think that Moe and Howard are both better and should get the majority of the snaps.
By the way, did anybody else think Strickland might have gotten a TD on that one goal line run?

In his defense, Jerome Smith didn't have elite speed either.

Nonsense.

Howard breaks that for a TD against just about any other team other than one with FSU's speed. His wheels are fine.
To me it looked like he pulled up because he wanted to wrap the ball up and not risk a fumble after such a big play.

That's my story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom