Re-assessing Our Team Near the Midpoint | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Re-assessing Our Team Near the Midpoint

Bell and Taylor are starters because they are shooters who should be getting open looks with our 2 guards being penetrators. Before considering pulling them from the starting lineup for lack of production, Coach needs to get on our guards about them not driving and kicking out. I would be down on Bell and Taylor if the guards did their jobs and shots weren't falling at a respectable clip.

Gave you a like. This team has to score in this order:

Rim
FTs
Threes

Have to get into the teeth of defenses all day long.

Right now we're out of the tournament but we have the opportunity to win our way in starting against Duke. Unfortunately the ACC looks weak this year and will probably get only 3-5 teams in.
Completely disagree we are definitely in right now with this record. None of the other leagues are strong and going to take a ton of bids. Assuming we are 5/6 in the ACC it’s gonna be a better resume than 5/6 in the Big Ten/SEC/Big 12/Big East.

Desperately need one of Duke or UNC so the program can have some buzz rest of the way.

Games like yesterday and even Colgate should show everyone that we know how to get it together when things aren’t going our way. I get not giving us much credit for the other wins but at least we blew them all out.

Westry ain’t gonna “return” -
He hasn’t even been here.
Red said he’s not really even practicing yet.
Here’s hoping he’s 100% for next season.

Also: wish-casting on Westry’s “outside shooting” is based on facts not in evidence.

We OUT-REBOUNDED PITT.

Yes, they were crushing us on the glass early, but the end result was -
We got more boards than they did.
That’s how I feel about Westry as well….please come back next season at 100% strength! Also, the notion that he will improve our outside shooting significantly just isn’t there. He went 0-14 from 3 last season. I know it’s a small sample size and people will say he was hurt, but true shooters do not go 0fer

I like some of the newer wrinkles Red has put in on offense, and how he is continuing to tweak it. Specifically I like how he has Judah playing off the ball more, allowing JJ and even Q to bring the ball up the floor. I think this helps balance things out a bit as JJ and Q have the slightly weaker defenders on them and have great vision, opening up the floor for others to get involved. Now to just get some drive and dish to some open shooters going. We are already seeing more interior points as a result of it. This has partially dropped the amount of times Judah drives and gets to the line, but hopefully starts to expose the part of his game he needs to show and is capable of-shooting from deep. A Judah who shows to be a threat from every spot on the floor is the Judah that will enter mock drafts.

On defense, the team is getting a lot better. The communication has been growing by leaps and bounds. The one thing I think they need to improve on is to not sag off so much on who they are assigned to. Three to four foot of space is to much, as the quick passes to the good shooters allows them to quickly get off a shot with a clean look at the basket. The shooters of today are not phased by a defender running out to them, they welcome it in the hopes of getting a foul called for a potential 4 point play.

The overall energy of the team is higher than in recent years, partly because they are more engaged in the man to man defense, but also because the run and gun style of play keeps them going. They are looking for each other now on fast breaks, not just playing hero ball.

Should the starting line up change? I don't know. The only spot I really question is Taylor's spot. He should be alternating with Bell, and whoever has the hotter hand play. But how do you determine between the two who starts? And who starts for Taylor? Benny is the obvious choice but I think with all the waves he has created, no matter how much he improves, should not start the remainder of the season. Let him work his way back through the year and win it back for next year. Taylor works hard and deserves his spot. He just needs a few plays designed to get him open looks, and to not be so tight at the start of games. Q could, and potentially deserves, to start, but we lose that high energy spark off the bench. And that is needed, especially to ensure Judah and JJ can get some rest during the game. Q's own words stated how he was tired and cramping at the end of the Pitt game, this style of play needs everyone to get some rest. If Brown could develop an outside shot he could also start, but really he wouldn't be much different than Taylor is in that position. Both are very good rebounders.

The bottom line is we are getting better. Every player has things to work on, and the coaches have some tweaks to do. The season may be close to half over but ACC play is just beginning. We will continue to improve, and since this team appears to love playing together, will improve. There are going to be a few heartbreaking losses, but I think come ACC Tournament time will be the most dangerous team in the field.

Fingers crossed.

Hoping they work on Mintz driving and passing to either bell or Taylor. It’s clear after the first two acc games the refs are not going to give Mintz the foul calls when he drives. He is going to need to adjust.
need to develop some set plays for Bell and Taylor to get open looks from 3

right now, against good teams, they cannot get the looks they want from the perimeter...the shooters are smothered and non-entities

its not going to happen from penetration

NEED SET PLAYS to generate open 3s

teams are going to keep throwing zone against this squad too...

need to practice th high low with quadir and benny at the free line

20 fast break points helps.
The team seems to be exceptional at aggressive defense that forces live ball turnovers. I've come to believe that Red is choosing the easy lanes too the basket we allow in exchange for on the ball pressure which results in breaks the other way.

It's worked pretty well so far, even though it's maddening to watch people go right to the basket so often.

need to develop some set plays for Bell and Taylor to get open looks from 3

right now, against good teams, they cannot get the looks they want from the perimeter...the shooters are smothered and non-entities

its not going to happen from penetration

NEED SET PLAYS to generate open 3s

teams are going to keep throwing zone against this squad too...

need to practice th high low with quadir and benny at the free line
Couldn't disagree more. Other than overloading one side and some quick passing, the defenses of today aren't generating the open looks. If you ran against a team playing zone maybe. But having a driver who draws a couple of defenders is always going to happen, especially when you have a Judah on the team. Q is quickly joining that club as well, as a player who needs multiple defenders to contain him. Most teams are very good at switching on screens now so unless that screen sets up a good size mismatch, they are a waste of time.

Couldn't disagree more. Other than overloading one side and some quick passing, the defenses of today aren't generating the open looks. If you ran against a team playing zone maybe. But having a driver who draws a couple of defenders is always going to happen, especially when you have a Judah on the team. Q is quickly joining that club as well, as a player who needs multiple defenders to contain him. Most teams are very good at switching on screens now so unless that screen sets up a good size mismatch, they are a waste of time.
1. the pentrators on the team are good finishers and thats how they get their points. if they can get all the way to the hoop, which they often can, why pass?? having them dribble to create takes away their scoring, potentially. plus they arent natural dishers on the drive...yeah they could drive to pass but they arent and don't.

when they drive I want them to try and score...but yeah they need to get better at driving and assisting

2. will need to develop some strategy against zone. pitt's worked pretty well imo and the team resorted to chucking bad shots/turnovers etc...and that will need to mean getting open 3s. When SU plays zone...opponents get open 3s easily...so whats stopping the Orange from doing so as well?

3. with the playmakers and pentetrators...they should be able to exploit that for easy buckets...much more than they have...although they are getting better in this regard. as the offense evolves, taking better advantage of mismatches needs to be more prominent. there will be a lot with all of the options.

4. pick and roll should be lethal with this squad and they use it some but not enough...I guess partially because the guards could be better shooters. and the rollers could be more dangerous. but regardless it should be more of an option.

5. quick passing and set plays are the two ways I see them able to generate open 3s for Taylor, Bell etc...want to see it more

1. the pentrators on the team are good finishers and thats how they get their points. if they can get all the way to the hoop, which they often can, why pass?? having them dribble to create takes away their scoring, potentially. plus they arent natural dishers on the drive...yeah they could drive to pass but they arent and don't.

when they drive I want them to try and score...but yeah they need to get better at driving and assisting

2. will need to develop some strategy against zone. pitt's worked pretty well imo and the team resorted to chucking bad shots/turnovers etc...and that will need to mean getting open 3s. When SU plays zone...opponents get open 3s easily...so whats stopping the Orange from doing so as well?

3. with the playmakers and pentetrators...they should be able to exploit that for easy buckets...much more than they have...although they are getting better in this regard. as the offense evolves, taking better advantage of mismatches needs to be more prominent. there will be a lot with all of the options.

4. pick and roll should be lethal with this squad and they use it some but not enough...I guess partially because the guards could be better shooters. and the rollers could be more dangerous. but regardless it should be more of an option.

5. quick passing and set plays are the two ways I see them able to generate open 3s for Taylor, Bell etc...want to see it more

I would love to see Bell or Taylor's three point percentage if they got fed from inside out more. They would be more open and I've always thought it was an advantage to not have to turn to receive the ball and then turn back to the basket. People have been killing us with the in-and-out plays for years.

Our penetrater's are good, not great finishers. In part that is because teams know to collapse in them when they drive. They end up taking hard angled shots. They have been getting better and dishing it to Malik, but it would be great if they were able to identify where the help is coming from and dish it back out to a wide open teammate. Easier said than done, but this is why we probe and take it back out. Trust me I don't want them to stop scoring inside either, I just want them to use that ability to draw the help defender and dish. Who ever receives the ball then doesn't need to hurry his shot.

They have been doing some things against the zone. Q at the foul line has proven very effective when they use it. They have also been getting a lot better at making the quick passes and getting the ball to the open guy on the weak side of the zone. We won't see very much zone the rest of the way, I agree they need to continue to develop plays.

Your number three to me goes back to number one. They can't exploit because they are to one dimensional and everyone knows what they are going to do. You see the improvement because they are playing better as a team, not as much ISO play.

I agree the pick and roll should be better, but teams in general are getting better at switching. It can still be effective, you just need to be quicker with the ball. Malik and Benny are both players that should have this play designed for them.

I think set plays are most important to get Taylor involved. To often he is open and chooses to just pass the ball. Bell doesn't have that problem. Also when Judah plays off the ball, there needs to be few sets for him to showcase his distance. The often overlooked beauty of a designed play is rebounders know where to position themselves. The downside is if the play breaks down they are out of position.

I would love to see Bell or Taylor's three point percentage if they got fed from inside out more. They would be more open and I've always thought it was an advantage to not have to turn to receive the ball and then turn back to the basket. People have been killing us with the in-and-out plays for years.
this is something I was begging to see under Boeheim but we didnt get to see it much

maybe the idea would be to pass inside to the post with the concealed intention of passing it back out a few times per game...similar to the way you pass to to the foul line vs zone

Last edited:
Westry isn’t coming back this year, unfortunately.
We’ve GOT to cut down on the turnovers by our “star guards”.
We can weather foul trouble - maybe - but the stupid TO’s will kill us.
Furthermore, Westry is not a three point shooter.

I don't get why our best players are not starting. The argument that they need a rest is nonsensical. You rest them when they are tired. They don't need rest at the beginning of the game. Name another team that does not start their best players. Why should we start most every game with a hill to climb?
Taylor is undersized to be a tournament team pf and Bell is too one sided. Everytime he touches the ball he shoots and then stands there. He should be a reserve that could bring us back from a deficit.

Mintz, Bell, and Taylor have not been playing their A games and we are still improving because the bench has been so strong. Judah hasn't played dominantly since Georgetown/Cornell. Bell hasn't played well since Cornell. Same with Taylor. If two of those three play as well as they are capable of, and the bench stays strong, this team can be special.

I don't get why our best players are not starting. The argument that they need a rest is nonsensical. You rest them when they are tired. They don't need rest at the beginning of the game. Name another team that does not start their best players. Why should we start most every game with a hill to climb?
Taylor is undersized to be a tournament team pf and Bell is too one sided. Everytime he touches the ball he shoots and then stands there. He should be a reserve that could bring us back from a deficit.
Do you remember Dion Waiters?

One month ago, CUSE goes to UVa and gets dumptrucked.
I think we're considerably better. We'll see tomorrow night playing Duke at THEIR place.
Play OUR game and not get caught up with the "crazies" and atmosphere.

School aint in...maybe the crazies won't show.

Current Breakdown by EvanMiya (on EvanMiya.com) pretty much confirms what we've been seeing with the ol' eye test half way through the season.

Mintz and Maliq are carrying the team. Q, Benny, JJ, and Justin have their moments (granted not Justin lately, but he was good early)

Bell's just not cutting it on offense or defense. The defense was known, but its pretty clear if he isn't making shots, he doesn't do much else on offense.

The centers and Cuffe are purely a defensive play (or just to get mins for foul trouble) at this point

Rank Name OBPR DBPR BPR
1Judah Mintz3.021.664.68
2Maliq Brown2.541.704.24
3Quadir Copeland0.771.262.03
4Benny Williams0.501.502.01
5JJ Starling0.880.971.86
6Justin Taylor0.581.151.73
7Naheem McLeod-0.501.871.37
8Chris Bell0.000.420.42
9Kyle Cuffe-0.530.770.24
10Mounir Hima-0.981.150.17

When we hired Red, and I looked at our schedule for this year and how it would play out:

If you told me we'd be 10-3 (1-1) at this point in the season, I'd be thrilled.

If you told me we'd have no Q3/4 losses, I'd be thrilled.

If you told me I just would've enjoyed watching the games this season, I'd be thrilled.

Couldn't be happier with where we're at right now. There's things to work on, but I wasn't expecting what we've gotten so far.

Current Breakdown by EvanMiya (on EvanMiya.com) pretty much confirms what we've been seeing with the ol' eye test half way through the season.

Mintz and Maliq are carrying the team. Q, Benny, JJ, and Justin have their moments (granted not Justin lately, but he was good early)

Bell's just not cutting it on offense or defense. The defense was known, but its pretty clear if he isn't making shots, he doesn't do much else on offense.

The centers and Cuffe are purely a defensive play (or just to get mins for foul trouble) at this point

Rank Name OBPR DBPR BPR
1Judah Mintz3.021.664.68
2Maliq Brown2.541.704.24
3Quadir Copeland0.771.262.03
4Benny Williams0.501.502.01
5JJ Starling0.880.971.86
6Justin Taylor0.581.151.73
7Naheem McLeod-0.501.871.37
8Chris Bell0.000.420.42
9Kyle Cuffe-0.530.770.24
10Mounir Hima-0.981.150.17
Not going to lie, I thought McLeod was worse than Bell. That’s a surprise to me.

No votes this week bummer.
18 other teams “received votes”…..realistically we are not a top 43 team. However, make some noise this week and I’d imagine we could be!!

The team is improving and that’s a big deal. Taylor needs to learn how to shoot quicker or he’s not going to play. I don’t think that’s going to change overnight so unless a team is playing zone, he is not going to be very effective other than possibly rebounding the ball. Bell just needs to understand how team basketball works and not get an attitude every time he has an off night or gets benched. I’m thrilled with the coaching so far and think this team plays much harder than teams we have seen and that’s encouraging. I would give this all a B+ so far

When we hired Red, and I looked at our schedule for this year and how it would play out:

If you told me we'd be 10-3 (1-1) at this point in the season, I'd be thrilled.

If you told me we'd have no Q3/4 losses, I'd be thrilled.

If you told me I just would've enjoyed watching the games this season, I'd be thrilled.

Couldn't be happier with where we're at right now. There's things to work on, but I wasn't expecting what we've gotten so far.
Yup - I was honestly worried we’d be under .500. Furthering your thought,I’m also very happy from what I’ve seen from Red, not just from game day coaching, but program management. So far so good, but the litmus test lies ahead.

Our outside shooting needs to improve. A return of Westry could help that. If teams play zone against us, we are going to need Bell and Taylor to start hitting more shots.

And our rebounding could use a lift. We fall asleep for long stretches on the glass. These two areas are going to get exposed in conference play. We may get to 20 wins but that’s not an automatic tourney berth like it was years ago.
Bell, Taylor and Mintz can all shoot the three, and will have their moments in the games ahead. Bell's shot looks broken right now, but he'll find it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom