Reason for QB switch on 4th down | Syracusefan.com

Reason for QB switch on 4th down

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Watched it unfold directly in front of me. On 3rd down, Mahoney completely missed Erv running wide open in the middle of the field on an 8 yd drag route. Zack never even looked at him when that clearly should've been his 1st read. He would've easily picked up the 1st. Dino was visibly frustrated, let his emotions get the best of him & pulled Zack for Rex. I didn't see any sign of injury from Zack & both players looked stunned when Dino called for the switch. Obviously, Zack returned for the following series.

I'm all in on Dino but, IMHO & unless I missed something (injury?), this was equal to waving the white flag. It was a Shafer-esque emotional decision that just cannot be made in that situation. Frustrating.

I don't know why the switch was made I was on the other side of the field. Thought it was odd but IF what you are saying is true Dino shouldn't have done that. Mahoney had led the team to 38 pts in the first half and was not the reason they lost this game at all. To get that mad at him would be foolish. Dino needs to work on his clock management and defensive adjustments and look in the mirror before getting hot at a back-up QB who led the offense to 40+ pts and you still lose by 20!!

Yup. He blinked . Total rookie move and really casts a shadow on his leadership. It was an 11 point game with a veteran quarterback who has proven the ability to execute on 4th downs in the past, even in this game.

A poor poor poor choice.

Watched it unfold directly in front of me. On 3rd down, Mahoney completely missed Erv running wide open in the middle of the field on an 8 yd drag route. Zack never even looked at him when that clearly should've been his 1st read. He would've easily picked up the 1st. Dino was visibly frustrated, let his emotions get the best of him & pulled Zack for Rex. I didn't see any sign of injury from Zack & both players looked stunned when Dino called for the switch. Obviously, Zack returned for the following series.

I'm all in on Dino but, IMHO & unless I missed something (injury?), this was equal to waving the white flag. It was a Shafer-esque emotional decision that just cannot be made in that situation. Frustrating.

Or maybe they told Zach who to throw it to and he ignored them or just didn’t do as he was instructed?

We’ve seen Boeheim do it.

Or maybe they told Zach who to throw it to and he ignored them or just didn’t do as he was instructed?

I doubt Boeheim would bring in Matt Tomaszewski to shoot the critical foul shots just to prove a point. This was the low point in his coaching career imho.

that move made no sense. unless you need to toss it 40+ yds into the end zone and your starter doesn't have the arm i don't see the need to pull him there. FWIW i thought zach threw a pretty nice long ball today.

I doubt Boeheim would bring in Matt Tomaszewski to shoot the critical foul shots just to prove a point. This was the low point in his coaching career imho.

Nah if you don’t follow orders you get benched.

Rex’s pass may have been completed if the WR didn’t get held. Oh well. Players should get benched for bad play and I don’t care what the situation is. Do you own the team or not.

Last edited:
I don't know why the switch was made I was on the other side of the field. Thought it was odd but IF what you are saying is true Dino shouldn't have done that. Mahoney had led the team to 38 pts in the first half and was not the reason they lost this game at all. To get that mad at him would be foolish. Dino needs to work on his clock management and defensive adjustments and look in the mirror before getting hot at a back-up QB who led the offense to 40+ pts and you still lose by 20!!
^^^ Spot on...

Listened to Dino on the radio. He said that on a play late in the game, we needed around 8 yards, and that Erv Phillips was all alone in the middle of the field yet not only did Mahoney not throw to him , he never read it to even look at him. I don’t know if this was the same play but DB still sounded hot about it. He seemed to be more upset at the offense than the defense for some reason despite mentioning that defensively players were out of position and didn’t make plays.

In all fairness, Zach had missed more than a couple gimme passes and also missed som wide open reads prior to then. Plus, had the receiver not been wrapped up (again), Rex would have converted. Blown call, IMHO.

My problem isn't on Dino's offensive decisions, but rather the brain dead DC who allowed us to get beat TWICE by the same damn play on 4th down, and get beat TWICE on the same play action play for TD's that we used against them. That's a sin! Get beat by your own plays?! Fall for the same BS and give up big yards for TD's? Amazing that we couldn't get any pressure at all on the QB. Best O line we've faced this year...or we made them look like it.

In all fairness, Zach had missed more than a couple gimme passes and also missed som wide open reads prior to then. Plus, had the receiver not been wrapped up (again), Rex would have converted. Blown call, IMHO.

My problem isn't on Dino's offensive decisions, but rather the brain dead DC who allowed us to get beat TWICE by the same damn play on 4th down, and get beat TWICE on the same play action play for TD's that we used against them. That's a sin! Get beat by your own plays?! Fall for the same BS and give up big yards for TD's? Amazing that we couldn't get any pressure at all on the QB. Best O line we've faced this year...or we made them look like it.

You don't think that's an awkward play for a QB's very first play against a D1 opponent?

Dino needs to fix his defence.

Lol a week ago Ward had done a magnificent job this year. It’s not his fault a TE makes an all pro catch, or a DB can’t break down and make tackle or a middle linebacker can’t cover or can’t beat a RB to the edge.

You don't think that's an awkward play for a QB's very first play against a D1 opponent?
There were two misses PI on that throw. On both guys in neighborhood. The refs were fine until late fourth

I think it's more that it was such an obvious read. Erv was literally waving his arms 8 yards directly in front of Zack because he was so open. I think Babers frustration got the best of him, his body language looked absolutely defeated at that point.

Dino needs to fix his defence.

“How dare you put the loss on one person! You really are a...”

*Just kidding. Not really, but that’s what you weirdly said to me when I correctly pointed out that we’ll have a better backup QB next year.

I’ll take an edible arrangement as an apology.

There were two misses PI on that throw. On both guys in neighborhood. The refs were fine until late fourth
True, but, to be fair, that "muffed" punt never touched Wake & I think we were lucky they didn't review Ish's TD catch. I don't think it would've looked good in super slow-mo.

zach posted 383 yds and 3tds. and he saved a TD on his 1st pick by throwing himself in front of that bus rolling down the sidelines. that was gutsy. both picks were nice defensive reads and not god awful throws into double coverage. again he played ok.

Awkward or not, Mahoney or not, neither completes that pass because A) the line couldn't hold and B) the missed holding call virtually assured the pass would be incomplete.

zach posted 383 yds and 3tds. and he saved a TD on his 1st pick by throwing himself in front of that bus rolling down the sidelines. that was gutsy. both picks were nice defensive reads and not god awful throws into double coverage. again he played ok.

His first pick was off his back foot right to the lb and his 2nd was telegraphed. Both bad plays by him though the 2nd was a good defensive play. Ward doesn’t have anyone on D who can make that same play. (And by the way, that big safety is bigger than our LBs)

He had 86 yards passing in the 2nd half and led the team to 3 points plus the two INTs. Not good.

The 33-60 is obviously barely above 50%

Awkward or not, Mahoney or not, neither completes that pass because A) the line couldn't hold and B) the missed holding call virtually assured the pass would be incomplete.

Thought the same. Mahoney doesn’t make the pass either so it’s mute.