Recruiting over this year's team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting over this year's team

That's the thing, there are only excuses when it comes to our guys, and there are a lot of them. Noel got injured and he still got drafted. What about DC2? No, he played 3 minutes and was benched. Even if he was solid nobody would have known because BMK was taking minutes from him. Again, I'm just speculating and I just see more advantage for a big man recruit to go to Kentucky over Syracuse.

Maybe Calapari will hire you to his staff especially for the TB recruitment.

RF2044 said:
Is that what happend with Dakari Johnson? Seeing as how Rak is leaving, Coleman's status is completely up in the air, it looks like Bryant would walk right into a starting role on a team that needs him to produce and play extensive minutes. If you think it is likely that he'd get Booheimed, I'll agree to disagree. I also think that Bryant has much more game readiness than Fab, Rak, or Coleman before him--another factor that greatly reduces the likelihood that he'd get sat after 3 minutes of play every game.

Listen, I'm not even disagreeing with everything you're saying. All I'm saying is if I'm a recruit I'm looking at all of these factors. It's not hard to figure out who Kentucky and Syracuse has gotten to the league in recent history. That has to play a big factor for any recruit.

Listen, I'm not even disagreeing with everything you're saying. All I'm saying is if I'm a recruit I'm looking at all of these factors. It's not hard to figure out who Kentucky and Syracuse has gotten to the league in recent history. That has to play a big factor for any recruit.

I'm also trying to stay above the fray of some of the unfair nonsense being heaped your way above.

We don't recruit like Kentucky under Cal recruits.

It's apples and oranges.

CuseHulk said:
Maybe Calapari will hire you to his staff especially for the TB recruitment.

See, the reason why I actually like RF is I can actually have a debate with him because offers solid opinions whether I agree or disagree with him, at least I know where he's coming from. B

I dislike you because you really just have zero to add with your posts other than to try to mock somebody. Weak pal.

See, the reason why I actually like RF is I can actually have a debate with him because offers solid opinions whether I agree or disagree with him, at least I know where he's coming from. B

I dislike you because you really just have zero to add with your posts other than to try to mock somebody. Weak pal.

You have proven you know nothing how recruiting and the recruiting process works. Or follow the amount of recruiting i do least.

Also don't watch must College Basketball outside of Syracuse.

CuseHulk said:
You have proven you know nothing how recruiting and the recruiting process works. Or follow the amount of recruiting i do least. Also don't watch must College Basketball outside of Syracuse.

Lol. K. Lol

I heard yesterday I believe we are getting close to a decision with Coleman. Could hear something by next week maybe? Could be twitter fodder, I don't know.

His return could be interesting. I have no expectations for him, cause he hasn't played in forever, but maybe he can be a player for us later in the season or next year.

Also I'm with RF on the Bryant sweepstakes. I'm 90 percent certain we get him somehow. I think people just get afraid of Kentucky whenever they aren mentioned with any recruit. Plus Thon Maker is a good bet to reclassify to next year, and you know Pay Pal Cal can't wait to slide that baggy of money somewhere to him.

Thanks for all the input. I suppose what was driving my initial question is pure fear. I'm really holding out hope that we're going to have a significant talent upgrade at a few spots on the floor next year but that's going to be really difficult to do while losing our two best players in Christmas and McCullough. If we're still in a position where Joseph, Chino, and all three sophomores either maintain or inherit significant roles on next year's team, I'm not overly optimistic about returning to our semi-elite ways of the last half decade. A potential starting five of Joseph, Cooney, Richardson, Roberson, and Bryant sounds scarily similar (or perhaps inferior) from an overall talent perspective to this year's edition and that doesn't bode well.

I heard yesterday I believe we are getting close to a decision with Coleman. Could hear something by next week maybe? Could be twitter fodder, I don't know.

His return could be interesting. I have no expectations for him, cause he hasn't played in forever, but maybe he can be a player for us later in the season or next year.

Also I'm with RF on the Bryant sweepstakes. I'm 90 percent certain we get him somehow. I think people just get afraid of Kentucky whenever they aren mentioned with any recruit. Plus Thon Maker is a good bet to reclassify to next year, and you know Pay Pal Cal can't wait to slide that baggy of money somewhere to him.

I think there was an article about this a few days ago--I interpreted it to mean that they are about two weeks from being able to evaluate / make a decision, but not necessarily that he'd be ready to play in two weeks.

I feel like we're getting close to that line of demarcation where it makes sense to shut him down and preserve the year of eligibility, even though I know he'd help us this year if he can go.

See, this is what I don't get and I've mentioned it before and got slammed hard.

What was the point of recruiting and offering Chin? I'm not being hard on him but he is what he is and we knew this from the get go, same with BMK. This is not a slight on either guy but were a top program and shouldn't be recruiting 4 year backups. I have to believe there are better options for us.

Could be but Baye was invaluable for us as a big who could always be counted on to play decent D and hustle plus he was an excellent student and teammate. The thing about Baye was that he never really improved a whole lot but he was pretty ready from the get go. Chino looks to be the opposite to me, a guy who isn't ready but will improve over his career. At worst he will be able to be relied up on as a backup the next couple of seasons and help the APR.

Thanks for all the input. I suppose what was driving my initial question is pure fear. I'm really holding out hope that we're going to have a significant talent upgrade at a few spots on the floor next year but that's going to be really difficult to do while losing our two best players in Christmas and McCullough. If we're still in a position where Joseph, Chino, and all three sophomores either maintain or inherit significant roles on next year's team, I'm not overly optimistic about returning to our semi-elite ways of the last half decade. A potential starting five of Joseph, Cooney, Richardson, Roberson, and Bryant sounds scarily similar (or perhaps inferior) from an overall talent perspective to this year's edition and that doesn't bode well.

To me, that feels a TAD pessimistic [although I certainly understand where you're coming from!]. A more experienced / capable Joseph would do wonders. Better depth and experience next year, albeit with question marks inside. Roberson can nail down the 4--what happens if we don't land Bryant and / or Coleman can't play at a high level?

But if a few things break our way, its not difficult to envision next year's team having better balance, being better shooting, etc.

Or follow the amount of recruiting i do least.

Also don't watch must College Basketball outside of Syracuse.

o rly.jpg

It's actually not a commentary on Joseph at all. I really like him. I think he's got a very bright future, and sooner rather than later.

We just keep bemoaning the lack of outside shooting. Richardson brings that. We need him to get minutes, but I don't think he's a 3. If he strictly plays the 2 as a sub for Cooney, he'll have the same problems Cooney does.

If Cooney can handle enough PG duties to have Richardson in the backcourt with him, just feels like that would open a lot up.
A Cooney/Richardson back court...that could be an interesting idea. Then get Lydon off the bench at the 3 and we might actually have a team that can shoot. Wouldn't that be different. Lydon was the leading 3 pt shooter on his USA Basketball team this summer.

If she doesn't want him in a platoon what is she going to do if he gets Boeheimed and gets sat after 3 minutes of play every game?

He's done it with Melo, Rak, and Coleman. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if I'm Bryant I'm looking at all three of those guys and wondering if I want to risk that or go into a situation where I may only get 20 mpg but will be drafted after my one season.
These kids are confident. You should never not go to a school because you're afraid of getting benched. You believe in yourself and your ability and that it won't happen to you. With JB you have to earn your PT; if you think you belong at a high major D1 program, you'll be fine.

I think everyone is underestimating how good the sophs are. I've watched a lot of hoops and the three sons have some skills. Just because they can't shoot it this year does not mean they will never be able to shoot it, but they all do other things really really well. If these guys are recruited over it means we are going to have a seriously loaded squad next year. My prediction is that Roberson and Joseph and Cooney are 3 of our 5 starters. BJ is the favorite at SF and I think he flashes some DNich like skills next year. The center will be open for competition but I am hoping DC3 is the starter there. We could have the talent to go 9/10 deep but we won't.

Swanigan* is being recruited by every big school, it's not a slam dunk he goes there.

But why would he go anywhere else when he can go to Kentucky which is the best possible destination? I mean if Kentucky is the best choice for Bryant who was also recruited by pretty much everyone why isn't it the same for Swanigan. Same goes for Zimmerman why would he stay out west with the opportunity to attend Kentucky?

That's what I mean about it's close to home and I've read the comments from his mom. I've also read the comments from him calling the offer from Kentucky a blessing, visiting Rupp recently. Outside of momma bear I don't think there is any reason that he would choose SU over Kentucky.

I do hope he comes here and would love those odds, I just don't see it as that favorable as I did before.

Well, he would play a much bigger role here than at Kentucky, where he would be part of a two-platoon rotation system. It's not like we haven't gotten guys drafted in the lottery too, you know. Our track record over recent years is pretty damn impressive, even if some of them left a little too early, in our opinions.

Ennis played with Wiggins, MCW played with Noel. That stuff rarely means anything. A player is going to play where he has the best opportunity to succeed the most after 1-4 years. If I'm a big guy who is a one and done candidate, I'm going to Kentucky in a heartbeat over Syracuse. I'm not saying it to be a , but look at their bigs and look out ours over the past 5-6 years and their paths or lack their of to the NBA.
Scoop-Rick-Waiters
Roberson-Richardson
Patterson-McCullough
Christmas-Cooney
Harris-Flynn

just off the top of my head

kjb120 said:
But why would he go anywhere else when he can go to Kentucky which is the best possible destination? I mean if Kentucky is the best choice for Bryant who was also recruited by pretty much everyone why isn't it the same for Swanigan. Same goes for Zimmerman why would he stay out west with the opportunity to attend Kentucky?

I never said Bryant was automatically going to Kentucky. The only thing I've said over and over and over is that it's a bit premature to put Bryant in an Orange uniform and count him to be starting at the 5 next season.

IthacaMatt said:
Well, he would play a much bigger role here than at Kentucky, where he would be part of a two-platoon rotation system. It's not like we haven't gotten guys drafted in the lottery too, you know. Our track record over recent years is pretty damn impressive, even if some of them left a little too early, in our opinions.

Last big guy to go into the lottery? Etan Thomas?

Garbs said:
Scoop-Rick-Waiters Roberson-Richardson Patterson-McCullough Christmas-Cooney Harris-Flynn just off the top of my head

I didn't say it never happens I'm just saying it doesn't happen all the time.

Cooney came here because of Christmas? McCullough came here because of Patterson? And Richardson is coming here because of Roberson? The Flynn and Scoop ones, sure, but sorry you're reaching with the other three.