Recruiting Reality | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Reality

Cuse12

All Conference
Currently our recruiting ranking nationally is nothing to be impressed about upon first glance. But, I dove in deeper.

Currently we have 13 commits. We still have room for appx. 10-12 more players.

I counted only 13 schools who have the same amount of commits or less then us who are ahead of us in national ranking. When everyone is arguing our lack of recruit ranking they fail to realize a majority of schools ahead of us have 20 commits etc.

So we can not compare oranges to apples (pun intended). Also, most of these commits are camps offered kids who our coaches had good eyes on. Based on past classes it’s obvious we find talent before they blow up. That is another factor why their rankings are lower, they haven’t been fully evaluated.

So essentially what I am saying is let’s stop looking at one number and start realizing that many of these players will be re evaluated through their senior years which can increase their ranking, and let’s wait to really comment until we have a full class. When we compare our full class to other full classes - we will then have a level playing field.

Trust this staff. These classes we recently had ranked in the 50s have produced us some impressive players who are popping up on pre season watch lists all summer.

The best way to compare them is by average stars, and we are last in the ACC by the way. We are not getting the high profile targets that all the other schools want. That is OK though as it does not mean our players are not as good. Dino and staff are good at identifying the high upside under the radar guys that will likely be just as good or possibly better. But eventually we all think it would be really nice when we can get the higher profile guys that everyone is after. Once kids see us as a consistently solid program that will change.

Recruiting ratings are overblown and many athletes mature after high school with great S & C and position coaching. Dino and the CUSE are doing it right and the 4-stars will follow with more wins.

The best way to compare them is by average stars, and we are last in the ACC by the way. We are not getting the high profile targets that all the other schools want. That is OK though as it does not mean our players are not as good. Dino and staff are good at identifying the high upside under the radar guys that will likely be just as good or possibly better. But eventually we all think it would be really nice when we can get the higher profile guys that everyone is after. Once kids see us as a consistently solid program that will change.
The punter is bringing down the average by approximately a point. We would be more near wake and vtech without counting him.

The punter is bringing down the average by approximately a point. We would be more near wake and vtech without counting him.
Chase Atkinson is also not rated yet either which doesn’t help it either.

Chase Atkinson is also not rated yet either which doesn’t help it either.
True but we still had the lowest average before that commitment. Stars obviously only mean so much though with the way this staff recruits. Atkinson will likely get a fairly solid rating when evaluated. The previous two commits Mahar and LaBrosse are our highest rated so far so that is a good trend. Think many of our second half signings of rercruits will have higher rankings. Babers and company can develop they guys we are getting into solid players but I can't wait until even more of the more saught after players decide to come here.

Again, the lack of star rankings have a correlation with exposure IMO. Babers understands he needs these under the radar guys every class so he isn’t competing directly with high power schools. He signs them before they blow up and their rankings stay lower then they should be IMO. The second half of the class will hopefully be higher rated. Either way, I am not worried. If this was the past staff I would be petrified.

Again, the lack of star rankings have a correlation with exposure IMO. Babers understands he needs these under the radar guys every class so he isn’t competing directly with high power schools. He signs them before they blow up and their rankings stay lower then they should be IMO. The second half of the class will hopefully be higher rated. Either way, I am not worried. If this was the past staff I would be petrified.

IF this was the last staff, all the guys we had verballed now would be 2-4" shorter, smaller, and slower, but "hard nosed". :rolleyes:

IF this was the last staff, all the guys we had verballed now would be 2-4" shorter, smaller, and slower, but "hard nosed". :rolleyes:
Exactly. Difference here is the intangibles match the ACC, but the rankings don’t. Last staff recruited people who were MAC sized and no good rankings.

Exactly. Difference here is the intangibles match the ACC, but the rankings don’t. Last staff recruited people who were MAC sized and no good rankings.
If you look at our current class at the moment our avg ranking is behind those football power houses of UVA, Duke, USF, Indiana, Wake, Memphis, Kansas St, Kansas etc etc etc

I just got home from Maryland and can only imagine what is being said about the coaching staff, players, etc.

To me the most disappointing part of this weekend was losing in the manner we did cost the football program some big time exposure on Gameday which would have showcased the university, campus, dome renovations, and CNY to football players across the country. We needed an event like this to show potential recruits that Syracuse is not just a basketball school.

I just got home from Maryland and can only imagine what is being said about the coaching staff, players, etc.

To me the most disappointing part of this weekend was losing in the manner we did cost the football program some big time exposure on Gameday which would have showcased the university, campus, dome renovations, and CNY to football players across the country. We needed an event like this to show potential recruits that Syracuse is not just a basketball school.
Not to mention how our on-field performance influences recruits.

It comes down to two things. Bowl games and NFL. Why would a DE come here over BC if BC is getting DE’s into the NFL. We need Robinson and Coleman to get in and stick in the NFL. You will see more interest from better rated players then. Same for bowls. Most kids don’t want one bowl game in 4 years. Why go here when pitt is 7-5 every year and makes a bowl.

There will be a large group of recruits for the Clemson game.

Recruiting's been slow/disappointing this year, that’s not outrageous to say.
Slow? I would say the rate of commits is probably about normal. There are 14 commits and we just came out of a month long Dead Period with two weeks of on the road games. No opportunity until this week to bring in prospects.

Slow? I would say the rate of commits is probably about normal. There are 14 commits and we just came out of a month long Dead Period with two weeks of on the road games. No opportunity until this week to bring in prospects.
Mind you I’m a dolphins and syracuse football fan coming out of this weekend so bare with my temporary glass half empty mindset.

That being said, we really need Kentron to commit. We got the 10 win season, bowl win, dino extension, dome renovations and so far the uptick in recruiting seems delayed. It is still only about midway through the cycle, and I could be munching on my words in about 5-6 weeks.

But, being realistic, we really shouldn’t expect this positive growth in recruiting until we get another 7+ wins this year and a bowl w. We gotta sustain success to become a destination.

The Rochester TE was big. Thats a big boy recruit. Wish we utilized te’s more in our O though. Maryland hurts out DMV presence, but maybe we can start clawing back WNY and Northern PA by beating Pitt and PSU taking a step back in conference.

Last week was not a true testament about our players IMO. We sure looked like a MAC team playing a P5 team though. It was pathetic and everyone here has to realize it was a bad game. I still think Babers has upped the athleticism substantially compared to when he arrived (as a whole). It comes down to containing the big play guys for MD and we did none of that. If we contained with our DE there was no LB to fill the gap and there he goes. We have the talent to keep up with every team in terms of speed. Not saying we are better but we have enough talent to be close enough to have a chance. Last game just is not what this team and recruits truly are.

Mind you I’m a dolphins and syracuse football fan coming out of this weekend so bare with my temporary glass half empty mindset.

That being said, we really need Kentron to commit. We got the 10 win season, bowl win, dino extension, dome renovations and so far the uptick in recruiting seems delayed. It is still only about midway through the cycle, and I could be munching on my words in about 5-6 weeks.

But, being realistic, we really shouldn’t expect this positive growth in recruiting until we get another 7+ wins this year and a bowl w. We gotta sustain success to become a destination.

The Rochester TE was big. Thats a big boy recruit. Wish we utilized te’s more in our O though. Maryland hurts out DMV presence, but maybe we can start clawing back WNY and Northern PA by beating Pitt and PSU taking a step back in conference.
You are a sane poster. Wait...did I just say that. ;)

I am just pointing out that commitment wise SU is on a normal schedule.

Recruiting's been slow/disappointing this year, that’s not outrageous to say.
Thats a HUGE understatement. I would say its been on par with the MAC teams. WE HAVE to take that leap up to top 30 recruiting school.

Some of the posts after Saturday’s game are a bit ridiculous. MAC level talent smh.

Baylor won with classes ranked 30-60. Wisconsin wins. Michigan State has in the past.

The entire point of hiring a guy like Dino was his ability to get more out of less. Now we get blown out once and people are panicking.

I wonder why Miami stinks then? They get top 15 classes every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom