Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

GoSU96

Living Legend
All of this churn could not be happening at a better time. The work that Marrone and staff have been doing is positioned to get a huge return.

PSU has really been damaged. You can't underestimate the impact the last year has had. I feel bad for Tambroni, because the damage is not limited to Football, but the school in general.

Pitt is a mess. They will be 0-3 after this week and if we can finally put them away will be starting 1-5.

Uconn, Rutgers, and Temple are now officially in a MAC/CUSA level conference. That is huge in head to head battles for BCS quality players.

BC is not all that stable. Spaziani has a chance to save his job, and their offense seems to have taken off, we will see.

Marrone has to push all his chips in and seize the moment. This is not a year to worry about redshirts, if kids can help, get them on the field.

It seems that TGD is set on Marrone. This is the perfect time to push our recruiting to its fullest and to throw in inconsistency by replacing our head coach isn't logical. TGD and co have been setting this up this entire time. It's his way of redemption for GRob.

I tend to agree. Its kitchen sink time.

And by kitchen sink, I mean undefeated the rest of the way...including the BCS bowl.

Do you believe Marrone needs any extra incentive to "seize the moment" (win games)? Or to play kids who can help (who?)? For sure, he is already focused on ending the L streak, winning and getting a bowl game.

There have been disruptions around the league in past seasons (Marrone has the most tenure). Some rivals are being left behind in realignment. It hasn't had a huge impact so far on how our recruiting compares with these rivals. Maybe a long winning streak, with big wins against Rutgers, Uconn & Pitt, will do the trick?

All of this churn could not be happening at a better time. The work that Marrone and staff have been doing is positioned to get a huge return.

PSU has really been damaged. You can't underestimate the impact the last year has had. I feel bad for Tambroni, because the damage is not limited to Football, but the school in general.

Pitt is a mess. They will be 0-3 after this week and if we can finally put them away will be starting 1-5.

Uconn, Rutgers, and Temple are now officially in a MAC/CUSA level conference. That is huge in head to head battles for BCS quality players.

BC is not all that stable. Spaziani has a chance to save his job, and their offense seems to have taken off, we will see.

Marrone has to push all his chips in and seize the moment. This is not a year to worry about redshirts, if kids can help, get them on the field.
time to extend hia contract

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Do you believe Marrone needs any extra incentive to "seize the moment" (win games)? Or to play kids who can help (who?)? For sure, he is already focused on ending the L streak, winning and getting a bowl game.

There have been disruptions around the league in past seasons (Marrone has the most tenure). Some rivals are being left behind in realignment. It hasn't had a huge impact so far on how our recruiting compares with these rivals. Maybe a long winning streak, with big wins against Rutgers, Uconn & Pitt, will do the trick?

If you're asking me, my seize the moment comment meant from a recruiting standpoint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

time to extend hia contract

Not sure that was said tongue in cheek, but a bit premature at this point, no? Depends where we are Oct 20. If we go at least 4-1 in the next 5, then yes. Four out of last 5 on the road after that - in consecutive weeks no less - will be brutal even with the added depth.

Other schools have taken advantage of our past misfortunes. It's time to seize the moment and do the same.

exactlyand I posed this on the recruiting board once but there are 3 Penn State commits (and 2 lineman) that we should be pressing hard right now to flip - at least try to coax visits out them. If we're not trying with these kids because of the Marrone/Obrien relationship then as a fan I'd be pissed about that.

Brandon Bell LB – Mays Landing, NJ
Brendan Mahon OL – Randolph, NJ
Andrew Nelson OL – Hershey, PA

Other schools have taken advantage of our past misfortunes. It's time to seize the moment and do the same.

Completely agree. Schools still use the attendance figure against us. Now we can use the lack of a BCS bowl game and any sort of TV exposure as our rebuttal against Rutgers.

Oh wait, we shouldn't have to tell any recruit why they shouldn't go to Rutgers.

If you're asking me, my seize the moment comment meant from a recruiting standpoint.

And my comment is: what are posters asking Marrone to do that he wasn't already trying and wouldn't do in his normal plan (in practices, on the field, use of frosh, contacting recruits, closing the deal)?

"Seize the moment" is really about recruiting and finally upgrading football facilities. We have to play well and win games, of course, but we are no longer a laughingstock.

I agree 100% with your statement rrlbees,...the time has come...'CARPE DIEM' and let's get ours for it has been a long time coming.!

And my comment is: what are posters asking Marrone to do that he wasn't already trying and wouldn't do in his normal plan (in practices, on the field, use of frosh, contacting recruits, closing the deal)?

To the extent that you are deciding between playing kids and redshirting them, it shouldn't be a hard choice.

To the extent that you are deciding between playing kids and redshirting them, it shouldn't be a hard choice.

I agree 100% with the premise, but are there any examples this year where that hasn't been the case? Maybe Cornelius / Lewis? Otherwise, I can't think of any.

I agree with the remark (IthacaMatt) about pushing now to upgrade facilities to take advantage of the woes of our rivals. Maybe the opportunity will swing donors -- hard to predict.

But I don't get the idea that redshirting/playing kids is affected by what is happening at PSU or Pitt etc. Our best prospects will play or not depending on how they progress, injuries, and the usual factors. Has always been Marrone's approach -- if they can help win games this season, they will play.

Things of a negative nature as well as targeting kids we may not had much of a chance at before that have committed to or favor PedSt, rutgirls, etc.

Forgive my ignorance of the nitty gritty in recruiting, but how much time is involved, in-season, for a head coach? I ask because while I agree this is a great time for us to cement recruiting in the northeast, Doug seems to be learning still how to manage a program (not a knock; just the fact that he's in year four of his HC career). Wouldn't want to see him take his eye off the ball in winning games in a year where it seems we could claim the conference title for greediness on the recruiting trail.

Forgive my ignorance of the nitty gritty in recruiting, but how much time is involved, in-season, for a head coach? I ask because while I agree this is a great time for us to cement recruiting in the northeast, Doug seems to be learning still how to manage a program (not a knock; just the fact that he's in year four of his HC career). Wouldn't want to see him take his eye off the ball in winning games in a year where it seems we could claim the conference title for greediness on the recruiting trail.
OK -- so you can google the rules for contacts with recruits during various segments of the year.

We are in a "quiet period" through Thanksgiving. School can make one phone call per week to a senior prospect; can write or send as much as they want; can receive calls if made by the prospect. There can be face to face contact if the prospect visits campus. I would guess that the phone call, and the writing, is done by a position coach or the recruiting coordinator with light involvement by Doug with the top candidates. Visits to campus are more likely after the high school season is over; visits by head coaches to prospects won't be happening until after Thanksgiving.

We can talk about amping up the recruiting, but the main thing Doug can do is win some rivalry games and show that his program is on the rise -- while others are in difficulties.

Talking about recruiting got me thinking about who do we actually lose after this season. This I know this is not totally accurate because the way SU lists player eligibility is confusing and totally sucks! Make corrections as necessary, but I see us losing on offense the QB (Nassib); receivers (Lemon, Sales, Stevens); O-line (Chibane, Alexander) and not losing any running backs. Next year you'll have at QB (Loeb, Hunt,Broyld); O-line 4 returning starters and a very solid 2 deep; 6-7 RB's plus Edwards and at Receiver (kobena, West, Lewis, Funderburke).

On defense we lose DL (Goggins, Sharpe); LB (Diabate,Vaughan); DB's (Thomas, Anderson?). Next year you'll have DL (Bromley, MPB, Robinson, Crume, Raymon); LB's (Spruill, Davis); DB's (Reddish, Wilkes, Desir, Eskridge, Lyn) plus some talented freshmen.

It looks to me like our biggest immediate need might be at linebacker, but we have some good freshmen there too. If the 'Cuse can get on a roll and finish this season with 7 or 8 wins, next year looks really strong...and it would erase any doubt that Doug has this program on a top 25 course!

OK -- so you can google the rules for contacts with recruits during various segments of the year.

We are in a "quiet period" through Thanksgiving. School can make one phone call per week to a senior prospect; can write or send as much as they want; can receive calls if made by the prospect. There can be face to face contact if the prospect visits campus. I would guess that the phone call, and the writing, is done by a position coach or the recruiting coordinator with light involvement by Doug with the top candidates. Visits to campus are more likely after the high school season is over; visits by head coaches to prospects won't be happening until after Thanksgiving.

We can talk about amping up the recruiting, but the main thing Doug can do is win some rivalry games and show that his program is on the rise -- while others are in difficulties.

To be more clear, I was interested in the "behind the scenes" efforts of someone in HCDM's position. Is he spending time strategizing next moves for this year's kids with the recruiting coord and position coaches? Is he moving onto prioritizing those for next year?

Talking about recruiting got me thinking about who do we actually lose after this season. This I know this is not totally accurate because the way SU lists player eligibility is confusing and totally sucks! Make corrections as necessary, but I see us losing on offense the QB (Nassib); receivers (Lemon, Sales, Stevens); O-line (Chibane, Alexander) and not losing any running backs. Next year you'll have at QB (Loeb, Hunt,Broyld); O-line 4 returning starters and a very solid 2 deep; 6-7 RB's plus Edwards and at Receiver (kobena, West, Lewis, Funderburke).

On defense we lose DL (Goggins, Sharpe); LB (Diabate,Vaughan); DB's (Thomas, Anderson?). Next year you'll have DL (Bromley, MPB, Robinson, Crume, Raymon); LB's (Spruill, Davis); DB's (Reddish, Wilkes, Desir, Eskridge, Lyn) plus some talented freshmen.

It looks to me like our biggest immediate need might be at linebacker, but we have some good freshmen there too. If the 'Cuse can get on a roll and finish this season with 7 or 8 wins, next year looks really strong...and it would erase any doubt that Doug has this program on a top 25 course!

You got everybody right except for Anderson. He was hurt in 2010 and sat out.

Really? I don't know that I agree with this. I mean, DM's in no immediate danger of losing his job, UConn and RU are in a bit of trouble in the short-term anyway given conference shakeups. I suppose Pitt could bounce back quickly and BC could go either way.

But ultimately I agree with your point about the timing being good for SU football right now. But I'm not sure of two things:

-- Playing freshmen equates to this team being any better than it is

or

-- the notion that a win makes a huge difference in our overall recruiting efforts. I mean, we just signed our "best class" (I'm fairly skeptical of really judging this today, but it at least seems like our best class), much of which signed on during our 5-7 season. We're off to a very solid start this year and that's in the wake of the dismal season and now an 0-2 start.

Ultimately wins obviously matter, but I'm just not sure I really get the correlation to playing frosh when you could argue that DM is pretty likely to be here a year, maybe even two years from today and, in that view, he's better off redshirting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom