Red Presser 10AM Fri | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Red Presser 10AM Fri

He's not giving up a grad degree from Newhouse just to play 1 season of mid-major ball.
I actually think Girard would flourish as a sixth-man, microwave type off the bench.

Whether he embraced the role is a completely different story. But he could absolutely be an effective player on a championship-caliber team if given constraints and the proper supporting cast.

I actually think Girard would flourish as a sixth-man, microwave type off the bench.

Whether he embraced the role is a completely different story. But he could absolutely be an effective player on a championship-caliber team if given constraints and the proper supporting cast.
I agree. If Red wants to be a good man team, Joe will bring the defense down. He’s the worst transition defender I’ve ever seen. Standing straight up with your hands up is not making much of an effort of defense. Usually, smaller, less athletic players are gritty, hard nosed defensive players who will stick their nose in to defend. Besides the occasional defensive rebound, Joe is not that. Coming off the bench might help Joe. He might not be the focus of the defense.

I wonder if this is being set up as a intro and into a Q&A today. Gotta tell ya, I as a fan really don't want to hear a bunch of questions about how this went down, the story today is about Red. Hopefully there is some framing done by JW and Autry gets his day in the sun. There will be plenty of opportunity downstream to get the story on what happened regarding JB.

He ain’t playing any zone. Ever. Lot of full court press and man
Would love to see pressure D.

But...realistically...why throw out something that could be an effective tactic?
Suddenly going to the zone for a few possessions after playing hard man-to-man is likely to throw opponents off.
And the new coach has learned the zone from the guy who knows it best.

Outdated, perhaps, but potentially effective in small doses.

I agree. If Red wants to be a good man team, Joe will bring the defense down. He’s the worst transition defender I’ve ever seen. Standing straight up with your hands up is not making much of an effort of defense. Usually, smaller, less athletic players are gritty, hard nosed defensive players who will stick their nose in to defend. Besides the occasional defensive rebound, Joe is not that. Coming off the bench might help Joe. He might not be the focus of the defense.
I agree that he will not be good but quite frankly we don't know how any of these guys will be in man D. Judah had plenty of guys blow by him, as did Bell, Bennie , etc.

The only guys I think I know (Ha) who can guard in man are Q and Malik.

I agree that he will not be good but quite frankly we don't know how any of these guys will be in man D. Judah had plenty of guys blow by him, as did Bell, Bennie , etc.

The only guys I think I know (Ha) who can guard in man are Q and Malik.
I'm concerned about that too. JB also mentioned months ago that neither JT nor Bell can stay in front of anybody. I like our guys but I hope they are the right personnel for the new scheme. Would be a terrible start for Red if the man D gets abused and he switches to zone by conference play.

I'm curious to see how things shake out, but I'm not worried until I am.
Bulldog says that Red won't play zone at all, media reports expect him to open 2023 in a 2-3 zone. *shrug*

Gonna be an interesting few months as the roster gets solidified.

So I'll admit I don't get much time to tune into radio shows but curiosity this morning had me looking for Reds interviews that I know others are plugged into. Here was one after Pitt and before GT:

My prediction is people who only wanted an outside hire are going to parse every word he says to prove why we should have made an outside hire.

Yeah preparing for the sentence by sentence nitpick on here this morning like we see after a presidential SOTU from the opposite party.

I’d be shocked if Gerry and Grif aren’t standing by Red today - just opinion but I think GMAC has as many great relationships on current team as Red but also important for portal madness.

Not saying he won’t get a HC spot but easier to get a job when you have a job.

I also think GMAC is as close to Red as Grif is.

We’ll see I suppose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom