Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet you posted..

FWIW, there’s nothing wrong with my post. Season 1 (making the NCAAT) officially ended tonight. It’s okay to question the future. Red will be here next year. How long should he have to turn the program around? Right now it’s just looking like a continuation of JAB’a last few seasons of mediocrity.
I’ll be literal. That’s not true.

3 years isn't enough unless he is a disaster. That would be really 2 recruiting classes.

I diplomatically disagree. 3 years is more than plenty. South Carolina's coach in his second season there has the Gamecocks ranked 11th in the country. I don't care if he had prior head coaching experience at Chattanooga, it's frigging Chattanooga. And, it's frigging South Carolina, who has basically never been good in hoops.

It's really disgraceful & shameful what the Syracuse stewards allowed to happen to its hoops program.

Making the NCAA tournament year 1 was going to be tough with this team. We have to give him a little time to build a roster that fits his plan, which my guess is a transition team that runs and plays an aggressive m2m defense. It was a bit of a tough ask considering this team was originally built as a zone defense team by JB. If he can show recruits, both HS and transfers, this plan then he can sell it. Thats what this year is about for Red. And I think he's actually had some success in doing that this year as I believe we are near the top of the league in tempo and turnovers (JMHO).

My worries right now are more on his judge of talent. His transfer portal moves have only produced JJ, who is rounding into form, Westry who may be inury prone, Cuffe who hasnt done much of anything,, and McCloud who hasnt produced much i
Either when healthy, and, personally, I dont see how he fits into the plan (jmo). Again, it could have just been a bit of bad luck, but the jury is definitely still out here. This off-season is going to be very interesting. We will see if Red will do what he has to do, which may require having some difficult conversations, to start turning this roster around to better fit his plan. Im hoping that recruiting is one of his strengths and kids will want to play for him so I am expecting a bit more from him in this area. Personally I think this is what will make or break Red. He needs to have strong success year after year in the portal and HS recruiting front for him to survive here long term

I’ll be literal. That’s not true.
Outside of a miracle ACCT championship it has. Do you think we’re going to win the ACCT? We had to get to 22 overall wins to have a chance for the NCAAT. It ain’t happening after losing to GaTech.

Watching Clemson play tonight. Joe made a great decision. They get him wide open threes with the sets they run. This team is perfect for him. He’s scored over twenty points by only taking seven shots. He’s making the game look easy. Unbelievable poise and heady play. What a novel idea for a guard.

Barring a miracle in the next 3 weeks, Red’s season 1 is looking like a bust, or at least underperformed against fans’ expectations.

Looking ahead to next year I believe he must make the NCAA Tournament. The program can’t continue to produce mediocre results year after year. We’re slipping as a national program. Falling with the likes of Indiana and Georgetown into the oblivion of has-beens.

Question is, do you give Red a third year if he fails to make the NCAAT next year?

Even if he gets a third year, if he doesn’t make the tournament by his third year there’s no chance he gets a 4th.
No.

5 years without making the NCAAT? I can’t see us holding on that long.
I don't think anyone is saying 5 years without being in the tournament is okay. Just that 3 years is too short a time frame to judge what any coach can do here from where we are right now. Now, I expect that next year will be better. From a lot of standpoints.

He should get 3 years IMO
If next year they can’t get to the dance… the wallets of the fans will decide.

I mean just look at how many seats were empty in the lower levels this year for most games. Can’t blame the snow cuz we haven’t had any. That could be a lagging indicator for renewals.

After Dean Smith retired Guthridge coached for 3 years before retiring. He was actually successful, but probably not completely up to UNC standards.

They replaced him with Matt Doherty who was fired after only 3 seasons because he compiled a 55% winning percentage.

I don’t see how we keep give Red more than 3 years if he puts up results similar to Doherty.

Barring a miracle in the next 3 weeks, Red’s season 1 is looking like a bust, or at least underperformed against fans’ expectations.

Looking ahead to next year I believe he must make the NCAA Tournament. The program can’t continue to produce mediocre results year after year. We’re slipping as a national program. Falling with the likes of Indiana and Georgetown into the oblivion of has-beens.

Question is, do you give Red a third year if he fails to make the NCAAT next year?

Even if he gets a third year, if he doesn’t make the tournament by his third year there’s no chance he gets a 4th.
The season is a bust. Has been since FSU & BC.

Weird showing tonight, since we played really well against UNC. Pitt controlled the game.

Just accept it and move on. All the typing in the world won't make Red any better at roster construction. Needs to be in the hunt next year. Needs to be in the tournament by year 3, or otherwise, what's the point? He gets 3 years, for some reason.

Got a couple good recruits coming in. Needs to retain Brown, Starling, & perhaps Cope & jettison the rest. Keep Judah if he wants, to stay.

Last edited:
Again, this all depends on the individual fan’s expectations.

There’s no way in hell the entire fanbase expected an NCAA tourney run this year.

In my personal opinion, that would have been an overly optimistic expectation. Certainly was not mine.

I think some convinced themselves that JB’s on-court coaching was so bad that a change, any change, would net better results. Why they thought this, I will never know but, knowing that there wasn’t any real chance to improve the talent going into this season, I’m not sure why anybody would’ve had high expectations.

JW’s slow playing of Dino’s firing suggests he’ll get a 3rd year (at least), but imo I’d need to see a LOT of potential to provide a 3rd year if next year’s team is similarly under-whelming. And what if Freeman is OAD?

I am not reading this whole thread, or any of it, but based on the thread title, HOW FREAKING DRAMATIC. This season has had it's ups and downs and will continue to do so. We should have beaten this crap GT team, but we should have lost to a good UNC team. 5 games to go, enjoy them or don't but at least let them play out before posting this crap.

After Dean Smith retired Guthridge coached for 3 years before retiring. He was actually successful, but probably not completely up to UNC standards.

They replaced him with Matt Doherty who was fired after only 3 seasons because he compiled a 55% winning percentage.

I don’t see how we keep give Red more than 3 years if he puts up results similar to Doherty.
Guthridge left the UNC program after winning 80 games in his 3 years. Not exactly where jb left this program. Matt didn't have a complete rebuild. Red does.

Very flawed roster. It’s disappointing because I hate the idea of 3 straight years without a tourney but you can’t put that on Red. We lost 3 kids who were expected to be major contributors coming into the year.

Take a deep breath and have some patience. Earlier this week the common theme was we had a program changing win and we can’t lose this core. Now it’s half this team isn’t P6 worthy ? Give Red some time, there have been flashes despite a poorly constructed roster.

This was never going to be an overnight fix.

Doherty was in over his head, tried to fight another coach. He also to his credit recruited a title team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom