Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 3 years for Red. We are not making the NCAAT this year and that sucks, I'll save last night or next years roster for the other thread. I hate saying it's a bust but OP is close enough to correct. This one I put squarely on Red though, his roster put us here however much bad injury luck.

However It doesn't mean it was for nothing to me at least. The non-con was decent a huge step up from prior years. First buzzer beater in years ok only one shot but whatever Miami had our #. Signature win over top 10 UNC. Trounced Pitt twice. These are all things that hadn't happened in nearing a decade. It means something for the students and fans and players/coaches, not as much as a tourney berth but something.

Red was always playing the long game, we'll know more next year. Doesn't hurt that the 24-25 year olds are finally done too
Hang on, you already have us out of the tournament next year without knowing the talent we'll have on the roster, and without any game results?

I couldn't disagree more with this take. Red is out performing what JB did the last 2 years and to think he was going to do much better ..well, the problem is with the person thinking it rather than what we did on the floor. We do not have a good team. To have 16 wins with this bunch, is a plus. Not a negative,
It looks exactly like the previous years to me except a crappy man defense instead of a crappy zone. Offense, inbound plays, substitution, basketball IQ and team discipline look like carbon copies to previous years. Go figure when 3 of 4 coaches helped build the previous teams.

It looks exactly like the previous years to me except a crappy man defense instead of a crappy zone. Offense, inbound plays, substitution, basketball IQ and team discipline look like carbon copies to previous years. Go figure when 3 of 4 coaches helped build the previous teams.
Sacrilege. He inherited the program and bears no responsibility, people complain.

IMHO, this season shows a lack of coaching.
These are the set pieces he has. He hasn't coached to the IQ on the floor, hasn't tweaked anything. Others are out-coaching him - SU got inside against UNC, then GT completely shut that down. How did he respond? He didn't.

Maliq shooting 2, 3, 4 a game? Nope, let's allow Judah out of control. Players with open looks, coming up short, or airballs. It happens to all teams, but good ones find a way to overcome.

Except, "man defense". That seems like a response to the peanut gallery, rather than a strategic move with the right man defense players.

At one time late in the game I believe I seen four guards and a forward on the court for SU. When will SU get a high level big man couch that will help recruit some good big players. We have four centers on the roster and not one has been playing.

Five years in the transfer portal and NIL era? If he isn’t on the bubble or better in year two we should move on but I recognize he will get three.
I clarified my expectation as to why five. Five to become a powerhouse again (similar to a uconn type of trajectory). Not five to make the tourney. 2 or 3 is mandatory to make tourney with uptick each year

Hang on, you already have us out of the tournament next year without knowing the talent we'll have on the roster, and without any game results?
did you respond to the wrong post? I really like our chances for the tourney next year with Freeman and more experience and depth...I didn't think I need to specifically say if Autry is getting us in the tourney he'll be coaching longer.

Barring a miracle in the next 3 weeks, Red’s season 1 is looking like a bust, or at least underperformed against fans’ expectations.

Looking ahead to next year I believe he must make the NCAA Tournament. The program can’t continue to produce mediocre results year after year. We’re slipping as a national program. Falling with the likes of Indiana and Georgetown into the oblivion of has-beens.

Question is, do you give Red a third year if he fails to make the NCAAT next year?

Even if he gets a third year, if he doesn’t make the tournament by his third year there’s no chance he gets a 4th.

Barring a miracle in the next 3 weeks, Red’s season 1 is looking like a bust, or at least underperformed against fans’ expectations.

Looking ahead to next year I believe he must make the NCAA Tournament. The program can’t continue to produce mediocre results year after year. We’re slipping as a national program. Falling with the likes of Indiana and Georgetown into the oblivion of has-beens.

Question is, do you give Red a third year if he fails to make the NCAAT next year?

Even if he gets a third year, if he doesn’t make the tournament by his third year there’s no chance he gets a 4th.
Your post is a bust! What did you expect in year one under Coach Red , did you not see like the last ten years of Syracuse basketball and the downhill in recruiting as well‍♂️

Did brown ever actually play at the 4 with McLoed? Like I don’t remember seeing them on the floor together outside of token minutes

I was wrong on that, but my overall point still stands that we had a guy who gave us more size to help with rebounding

Sacrilege. He inherited the program and bears no responsibility, people complain.

IMHO, this season shows a lack of coaching.
These are the set pieces he has. He hasn't coached to the IQ on the floor, hasn't tweaked anything. Others are out-coaching him - SU got inside against UNC, then GT completely shut that down. How did he respond? He didn't.

Maliq shooting 2, 3, 4 a game? Nope, let's allow Judah out of control. Players with open looks, coming up short, or airballs. It happens to all teams, but good ones find a way to overcome.

Except, "man defense". That seems like a response to the peanut gallery, rather than a strategic move with the right man defense players.
He can Coach with what's available to coach, 6 live bodies when you consider Taylor and Hima should'nt be considered live bodies as they are some sort of energy vampire just sucking the life out of our team.

The roster is screwed with injuries, some of which is bad luck. That is the coaches fault for putting us in that position. It's bad luck but also bad coaching and Both things can be true. Will he learn is the question.

He can Coach with what's available to coach, 6 live bodies when you consider Taylor and Hima should'nt be considered live bodies as they are some sort of energy vampire just sucking the life out of our team.

The roster is screwed with injuries, some of which is bad luck. That is the coaches fault for putting us in that position. It's bad luck but also bad coaching and Both things can be true. Will he learn is the question.
I mean, if we can't hit outside shots, we should have a plan (plays) for running inside basketball.
All I've seen this year is Judah running up, falling down - or yesterday, stalling to get inside, and then panic leading to shots by JT or Q which were short or had no chance.

Losing Jessie to boot, in season turnover, switch to man, first year..., I am shocked we have done this well. Things will continue to improve IMO
I think next season we might switch back to zone. Without a center, we have to be man to man defense.

I clarified my expectation as to why five. Five to become a powerhouse again (similar to a uconn type of trajectory). Not five to make the tourney. 2 or 3 is mandatory to make tourney with uptick each year
It kills me to see UCONN dominating. I just don’t understand how they have continued to get it done and we have sunk so far.

We aren't your older brother's Syracuse. Haven't been in almost a decade
dude i'm in my sixties. and my older sister was born in 1952 . curious as to what your own frame of reference is.
Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share..
probably before your time.

Last edited:
Red was always playing the long game
18ECED41-25D6-46C0-96C6-79FC6E537610.jpeg

We need to keep in mind that he is a continuation hire. That should mean a shorter leash than hiring an outsider.

He played a part in this crap roster. There wasn't much to work with (he recruited some of those kids) and he didn't add enough once he took over. That is on him.

That being said he should get a pass for this season. However next season needs to show significant improvement. If he doesn't make the Tourney he better have one hell of a recruiting class lined up. Otherwise he needs to be let go.

But if he makes the Tourney next year he will buy himself more time.

The warm seat should start next season not year 3.

5 years to do what? Because I cannot imagine going 4 more years without making the NCAA tournament, especially after the steady decline over the last 9 years.
But the decline was the result of letting someone stay way beyond his time.

They stunk , got a new coach and after a couple of seasons of ramp up they have what works
True. I meant more how they have been able to rally under several new coaches since Calhoun. Went down and found ways back up.

5 years is what a coach should be given.
Unless Red proves to be an abject disaster, a la Matt Doherty, which it certainly doesn't appear like he is, 5 should be the minimum.

JW showed perhaps an overabundance of patience with Dino so I don't think he'll do a kneejerk with Red..

Honest question: Anyone know whether these assistants are effective? Obviously, coordinators make a huge difference in football. I would assume recruiting and talent evaluation are the most important part of being a basketball assistant at this level, with player development being secondary due to the portal and NIL. (Don't want to start another thread because I could see it devolving.)

Personally I thought they should have hired outside of the 'family' and gone national -- but love Red since 1990 and support him 100%. Just don't understand how anyone can say this season is a "bust"(?). With what he had to work with, what more would you ask of him? This is a mediocre team and a mediocre program right now. I think he has done a phenomenal job given the program he inherited and can already see the uptick in recruiting.

However next season needs to show significant improvement. If he doesn't make the Tourney he better have one hell of a recruiting class lined up. Otherwise he needs to be let go.

But if he makes the Tourney next year he will buy himself more time.

The warm seat should start next season not year 3.
100%. The patience that some fans show here is not reflective of what we’re seeing with all the no shows. People forget how much the AD depends on basketball revenue.

the university stands to lose too much money if we go 4 consecutive years without march madness. This will be the 3rd.

But the decline was the result of letting someone stay way beyond his time.
There is a debate on whether HCJB did it all, or allowed assistants to lend a hand.
Assistants recruit. JB closed.

HCAA/Red was an assistant coach. He's part of this.
The incorrect assumption was that a new leader would fix the ills by the whole system/program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom