Report from Sioux Falls | Syracusefan.com

Report from Sioux Falls

Owens guy

2nd String
I drove from my home in a Minneapolis suburb to Sioux Falls with my 10 year old son. The arena was tiny & there was very little security. I literally stood right next to the team benches during warm ups. I sat 4 rows right behind the Syracuse bench. Here are a few things I observed:
1) I sat right behind a Hornet scout - Michael Jordan’s nephew. He said he was there to scout Judah although I saw him take notes on some other Syracuse players too.
2) Hima stood up during a lull in the game and started the first loud “Let’s Go Orange” chant encouraging Syracuse fans to join him. Hima did this 3 times! Near the end of the game, we did a “Put in Hima” chant.
3) Although Oregon had several players out, their players are much better than the final result. During the last tv time out HC Altman took the team huddle to the middle of the court & absolutely chewed them out.
4) I was on the video board as a Celebrity Look alike - for Scott Van Pelt.

After the game along with a bunch of Syracuse fans, I stood next to the team locker room and gave the players & coaches high fives. Several thanked us for coming & for the loud support.

My son asked Judah to take a picture with him! Judah has a fan for life!!
IMG_1384.jpeg

I drove from my home in a Minneapolis suburb to Sioux Falls with my 10 year old son. The arena was tiny & there was very little security. I literally stood right next to the team benches during warm ups. I sat 4 rows right behind the Syracuse bench. Here are a few things I observed:
1) I sat right behind a Hornet scout - Michael Jordan’s nephew. He said he was there to scout Judah although I saw him take notes on some other Syracuse players too.
2) Hima stood up during a lull in the game and started the first loud “Let’s Go Orange” chant encouraging Syracuse fans to join him. Hima did this 3 times! Near the end of the game, we did a “Put in Hima” chant.
3) Although Oregon had several players out, their players are much better than the final result. During the last tv time out HC Altman took the team huddle to the middle of the court & absolutely chewed them out.

After the game along with a bunch of Syracuse fans, I stood next to the team locker room and gave the players & coaches high fives. Several thanked us for coming & for the loud support.

View attachment 235378
Fire!

View attachment 235378
Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

View attachment 235378
Awesome! I heard the "Put in Hima" chant on the TV but could not decipher what was being said.

View attachment 235378
Thanks for posting. We need more of this type of post for stuff we don't see on tv!

View attachment 235378
Awesome!

View attachment 235378
Excellent report.

What do you think the breakdown was of Syracuse fans to Oregon fans? TV seemed to try and show fans from both teams equally. Was kind of sad seeing Oregon fan parents looking sad and distracted while their kids happily hammed it up for the cameras even though the Ducks were getting crushed.

I can tell you Syracuse fans were far far louder than the Oregon fans.

Excellent report.

What do you think the breakdown was of Syracuse fans to Oregon fans? TV seemed to try and show fans from both teams equally. Was kind of sad seeing Oregon fan parents looking sad and distracted while their kids happily hammed it up for the cameras even though the Ducks were getting crushed.

I can tell you Syracuse fans were far far louder than the Oregon fans.
Although the Sanford Pentagon only seats 3,200 it wasn't full (maybe 2,500 fans). I talked to Syracuse fans from Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Idaho that came to the game. Since Syracuse very rarely plays in the Midwest now (used to play in Milwaukee vs. Marquette in the latter Big East days) Syracuse fans in this part of the country were very excited to see them in person!

I'd put the crowd at 60% Syracuse fans, 20% Oregon fans and 20% locals who just came to watch the game. I was actually surprised there were so many Oregon fans there. I didn't think Oregon would attract many fans to the middle of nowhere. Hopefully Syracuse schedules more neutral site games around the country to keep expanding the Orange Empire!

Every time I attended a SU event on the West Coast, there was lots of Orange. Even against USC in the Colosseum we had close to three sections. We travel well.

Although the Sanford Pentagon only seats 3,200 it wasn't full (maybe 2,500 fans). I talked to Syracuse fans from Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Idaho that came to the game. Since Syracuse very rarely plays in the Midwest now (used to play in Milwaukee vs. Marquette in the latter Big East days) Syracuse fans in this part of the country were very excited to see them in person!

I'd put the crowd at 60% Syracuse fans, 20% Oregon fans and 20% locals who just came to watch the game. I was actually surprised there were so many Oregon fans there. I didn't think Oregon would attract many fans to the middle of nowhere. Hopefully Syracuse schedules more neutral site games around the country to keep expanding the Orange Empire!
Glad you had a good time and thanks for the report! I realize the importance of playing in NYC and in our primary recruiting areas. But as a fan in Kansas City, it's nice to see the central US get some love occasionally too.

View attachment 235378
They are both so cute I can’t stand it!

This has nothing to do with this game, but talking about Syracuse fans. Last Saturday, I was in line at the post office in Palm Coast, Florida. I was wearing an orange Syracuse hat and a guy a few people in front or me has a Syracuse hat on, also. I was shocked, I didn't get to speak to him, but I couldn't believe it.

LOL he did the same exact thing at the Georgetown game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom