Report: McDonald to WolfPack | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Report: McDonald to WolfPack

This will be a great experiment with good controls. Let's see how well he recruits at NC State - that will be a good measure of our program and its current perception, and quite possibly a wake-up call for some on this forum.
NC State has always recruited fairly well just like UNC, but the NC schools tend to underachieve. NC State always recruits great DL and WRs. Plus, NC FB is getting better. McDonald will recruit S Florida well for NC State. McDonald was a top 3 recruiter while at SU he was just not good at being a OC, but replacement really didn't show he was much better.

javadoc said:
This will be a great experiment with good controls. Let's see how well he recruits at NC State - that will be a good measure of our program and its current perception, and quite possibly a wake-up call for some on this forum.

Some irony that on the day he leaves for NC State, arguably his best recruit, Edouard, is forced to go the juco route.

We probably had no shot at Edouard if he was a qualifier.

Some irony that on the day he leaves for NC State, arguably his best recruit, Edouard, is forced to go the juco route.

We probably had no shot at Edouard if he was a qualifier.

He committed to us and was on campus for a week. They believed he had qualified or had done something close to what was necessary, otherwise he never would of been here.

Pretty sure that's a solid shot.

Classic stuff. A lateral move to a division rival. That wonderful decision to demote him certainly has paid off in spades to date. What were the positives of that move from McDonald to Lester again? I know there was a lengthy list at one time. Can't seem to remember any of them coming true.

Imo, a huge hit on the recruiting front despite all of the board expert opinions to the contrary.

NC State has always recruited fairly well just like UNC, but the NC schools tend to underachieve. NC State always recruits great DL and WRs. Plus, NC FB is getting better. McDonald will recruit S Florida well for NC State. McDonald was a top 3 recruiter while at SU he was just not good at being a OC, but replacement really didn't show he was much better.
you mean he was top 3 on our staff? I kid kind of

The PS guys are all over it. They taste blood in the water.

stuff like this:

@MinkNate
Was told Andrew Spence, CB from Florida, probably not impacted by McDonald leaving. But, I mean, it's not like any papers have been signed.
well Nate is a Ped State grad

Classic stuff. A lateral move to a division rival. That wonderful decision to demote him certainly has paid off in spades to date. What were the positives of that move from McDonald to Lester again? I know there was a lengthy list at one time. Can't seem to remember any of them coming true.

Imo, a huge hit on the recruiting front despite all of the board expert opinions to the contrary.

75% of Syracuse was calling for his head at the time. Whether SS acted out of haste or not, he acted swiftly and decisively to try and correct an issue. The collateral damage for the most part cannot be predicted.

McDonald heading to, at the very best, a peer college with technically a demotion (No Asst. HC title), speaks more to him than it does to what we lost.

Yes, we lost a great recruiter, with a lot of connections. He's shown his character amidst adversity, and it's not a pretty show.

Best of luck to George, I think he's bright and articulate. I liked him, I believed in him. Unfortunately this stop didn't work out.

If we lose 2 or 3 recruits in the meantime, well that's too bad.

Syracuse and Coach Shafer handled this McDonald situation so badly...it is comical. To publically demote the guy certainly was not the way to handle the situation. Shafer had a right to not be happy with McDonald's performance( How many mid season coordinator switches really work?..and our problems were deeper than the OC)...but there had to be a better way to preserve the relationship between the two. Now it looks like we lose a top notch recruiter to an in conference rival. Say what you want about McDonald, South Florida is huge in the recruiting business and he has deep connections. Living in NC myself, I believe McDonald will be more more successful getting premium South Florida talent to NC, than he was getting them to Syracuse. Big Coup for NC State!

Finwad32 said:
He committed to us and was on campus for a week. They believed he had qualified or had done something close to what was necessary, otherwise he never would of been here. Pretty sure that's a solid shot.

Obviously they miscalculated.

He was never qualified.

And Shafer led us to believe he wasn't here because of personal reasons when it was academics all along.

They were protecting his dignity.

The PS writers bought into this and never bothered to report the facts.

I venture to guess that they've known he wasn't coming for some time.

Syracuse and Coach Shafer handled this McDonald situation so badly...it is comical. To publically demote the guy certainly was not the way to handle the situation. Shafer had a right to not be happy with McDonald's performance( How many mid season coordinator switches really work?..and our problems were deeper than the OC)...but there had to be a better way to preserve the relationship between the two. Now it looks like we lose a top notch recruiter to an in conference rival. Say what you want about McDonald, South Florida is huge in the recruiting business and he has deep connections. Living in NC myself, I believe McDonald will be more more successful getting premium South Florida talent to NC, than he was getting them to Syracuse. Big Coup for NC State!
Did Shafer demote him publicly? Seems a common assumption that it was Shafer's doing, but I think a more believable case can be made for McD leaking the info himself to make it public.

Obviously they miscalculated.

He was never qualified.

And Shafer led us to believe he wasn't here because of personal reasons when it was academics all along.

They were protecting his dignity.

The PS writers bought into this and never bothered to report the facts.

I venture to guess that they've known he wasn't coming for some time.

They still had him on campus? Do you think they brought him up just to do it? Yes, Shafer and staff did try to protect his dignity, more than one person would commend them for trying to protect their child like that.

The PS's problems are the PS's problems, newspapers hire college grads consistently to minimize payroll, you get what you pay for.

I am no fan of Scott Shafer and wish we fired him after this past season. However, he did not publicly demote McDonald. It was likely done in a coaches meeting and then somebody most likely McDonald leaked it to the PS and thus Scott Shafer had to confirm Lester being promoted to OC.

I didn't like Lester as OC and don't trust Scott Shafer as HC, but McDonald acted unprofessional when he leaked his demotion.

75% of Syracuse was calling for his head at the time. Whether SS acted out of haste or not, he acted swiftly and decisively to try and correct an issue. The collateral damage for the most part cannot be predicted.

McDonald heading to, at the very best, a peer college with technically a demotion (No Asst. HC title), speaks more to him than it does to what we lost.

Yes, we lost a great recruiter, with a lot of connections. He's shown his character amidst adversity, and it's not a pretty show.

Best of luck to George, I think he's bright and articulate. I liked him, I believed in him. Unfortunately this stop didn't work out.

If we lose 2 or 3 recruits in the meantime, well that's too bad.
McDonald taking a lateral move says nothing about his Character. Why should he be loyal to the Cuse...the way they treated him? His taking a lateral move speaks more to how pissed he is at his friend Shafer than anything else. Friends don't do that to friends...I am sorry. I understand it is a business...and when you go into business with friends and fasmily...you walk a fine line. Preservation of the relationship in my opinion...has to play a role in how you handle unsatisfactory performaance of a family member.

McDonald taking a lateral move says nothing about his Character. Why should he be loyal to the Cuse...the way they treated him? His taking a lateral move speaks more to how pissed he is at his friend Shafer than anything else. Friends don't do that to friends...I am sorry. I understand it is a business...and when you go into business with friends and fasmily...you walk a fine line. Preservation of the relationship in my opinion...has to play a role in how you handle unsatisfactory performaance of a family member.
a little like marrone, b!tching to the press about your boss doesn't make you appealing to other bosses.

No, but him crying to every media outlet available does speak to his character. And as oldpinepoint mentioned, lack of professionalism. That may have had something to do with his career options.

How do you know that SS didn't do everything possible to preserve the relationship? Are you in on their conversations?

Friends don't demote friends? Friends don't fire friends? It happens in all walks of life, and a cut throat business like coaching at the highest levels magnifies that pressure to perform even further. Produce or don't, and the clocks ticking.

This is what happens when you hire all your buddies and one doesn't work out. I expect the rest of the coaching staff to be gone after next season and if we lose 2-3 recruits because of it oh well...

Screw McD! I dont give a crap that he left (it was expected). The fact that he left to a division rival really grinds my gears. I hope he fails miserably. We better bring in another strong Florida recruiter. If we end up losing Daoust too, it's gonna be the worst coaching turnover recruiting-wise we've ever had. Hope Shaf makes some strong moves at the coaching convention, and SU opens the purse for some high quality guys or I will give up on the idea of SU commiting to winning football (already have doubts).

Didn't Urban Meyer coach in the MAC.

Didn't Randy Walker coach in the MAC.

Didn't Don James coach in the MAC.

Didn't Terry Hoeppner coach in the MAC.

The fact is that some very good coaches came from that conference.
Yep. They don't call the MAC "the cradle of coaches" for nothing. Check-out this impressive list:
http://www.vandelaysports.com/football/coaches.html

As an aside, I wonder if this site is part of Vandelay Industries, operated by Art Vandelay (architect, marine biologist, importer-exporter, author of "Venetian Blinds", and manufacturer of latex).

Finwad32 said:
They still had him on campus? Do you think they brought him up just to do it? Yes, Shafer and staff did try to protect his dignity, more than one person would commend them for trying to protect their child like that. The PS's problems are the PS's problems, newspapers hire college grads consistently to minimize payroll, you get what you pay for.

We don't know the whole story. Why was he there when he shouldn't have been?

His path to juco would make an interesting story.

But really doesn't matter now.

No, but him crying to every media outlet available does speak to his character. And as oldpinepoint mentioned, lack of professionalism. That may have had something to do with his career options.

How do you know that SS didn't do everything possible to preserve the relationship? Are you in on their conversations?

Friends don't demote friends? Friends don't fire friends? It happens in all walks of life, and a cut throat business like coaching at the highest levels magnifies that pressure to perform even further. Produce or don't, and the clocks ticking.
Of course I wasn't in on the conversation...But actions speak to more than words. He could have taken steps to preserve the relationship by: 1 . Not announcing the DEMOTION and producing the same result he ended up with in terms a new set of eyes calling the plays bu Leaving MCdonald as OC and having Lester call the plays. After the season was over, then, this could have been dealt with. All this decision did was create public controvery right in the heart of the season and produced no tangible improvement on the field!

a little like marrone, b!tching to the press about your boss doesn't make you appealing to other bosses.

I must have missed the press conference or in detail article where he "bitched about his bosses". You got a link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom