Richardson is worrisome | Syracusefan.com

Richardson is worrisome

Millhouse

Living Legend
you can't have people shooting 26.6% on 6.6 threes per game

For Richardson to get to 36% for the year on the same number of shots per game, he'll need to shoot 42% the rest of the way. His shooting will need to be 58% better than it's been.

Now I'd be fine with him shooting 35%-36% in conference play even though the full year would look worse. But it's still alarming.

They have to find more shots for lydon.

total shots by the 4 3pt shooters

Cooney+Richardson take 60% of those 3s. Shooting 30%
Lydon+Gbinije take 40% of those 3s. Shooting 48%

Get lydon more shots at Cooney and Richardson's expense.

it is a bit worrisome but on the other hand I've been pleased with his ability/willingness to drive to the basket - he's able to take contact and finish pretty well and is a good FT shooter - but yeah for now he just has to take fewer 3s

I would like to see more Howard directing the offense with Mike off the ball if Richardson struggles. Put Cooney at the two, as he can shoot better off the catch than Malachi, and Mike at the three. I think we may end up being better on defense as well.

I really like Howard's pg skills and think he would do a good job being a distributor, where Mike just looks to score and doesn't always set up guys well.

What's really worrisome is that it is against the weakest opponents that Syracuse will face all season. Cooney is shooting ~36% over his last five games. I'm happy with that.

For Richardson to get to 36% for the year on the same number of shots per game, he'll need to shoot 42% the rest of the way. His shooting will need to be 58% better than it's been.

Now I'd be fine with him shooting 35%-36% in conference play even though the full year would look worse. But it's still alarming.

I'm not worried about Richardson. He's a good shooter and he hasn't shot well lately, but he's not the sort to lose confidence. If Lydon and G took the shots that Cooney and Richardson are taking, their % would be lower. Richardson needs to learn when to shoot and when to hold out for a better shot, but I'd rather have him aggressively hunting his shot like he is now, than scared to shoot (like Kaleb). The game will slow down and he'll improve.

Big differences in Mal and Trevor IMO.

Trevor can make shots off the catch.

Richardson cannot. He needs to dribble to get himself in rhythm. Probably a product of always having the ball in his hands in HS.

Not even threes, but I like Lydon with the ball in the Mid-post. He's a great passer, and he has that right handed half-hook that's he's money with. Our fans underrate him so much IMO. He's good this year, but I think he will be our best player next year.

Richardson will get better ... he'll learn to pick his shots. I still like him to come off the bench Dion-style, so that Howard can play up top with TC next to him. Howard is more of a set-up guy than G or TC and he can make both of them better once he gets his sea legs. That change will allow G to play the 3, and MR to bring some firepower off the bench at the 2 ... this will take some pressure off TC and give him and G some rest. I still think at the 4, Lydon's the more complete player to start ... TR should come off the bench to help with rebounding.

And why on earth is Chino not getting more run? Ok his offense is a WIP ... but he can bang and rebound.

And why on earth is Chino not getting more run? Ok his offense is a WIP ... but he can bang and rebound.
Because he commits personal fouls at rate of about 1 per 3 minutes. And that's being conservative since he generally only plays against non conference cupcakes with smaller players

Because he commits personal fouls at rate of about 1 per 3 minutes. And that's being conservative since he generally only plays against non conference cupcakes with smaller players
True. But ... he can bang and rebound inside. Those are two qualities sorely missing from this team .. that will be vital in conference play. Sure he'll foul ... but I guarantee he'll make people earn their points inside.

And seeing DC play so well .. was also a breath of fresh air. Lydon still logged time in the middle, which is an experiment I hope will end asap (not that he's not athletic ... but we need him at the 3 or 4).

Richardson will get better ... he'll learn to pick his shots. I still like him to come off the bench Dion-style, so that Howard can play up top with TC next to him. Howard is more of a set-up guy than G or TC and he can make both of them better once he gets his sea legs. That change will allow G to play the 3, and MR to bring some firepower off the bench at the 2 ... this will take some pressure off TC and give him and G some rest. I still think at the 4, Lydon's the more complete player to start ... TR should come off the bench to help with rebounding.

i'm not predicting anything about richardson but i'm a little nervous

here is a list of freshman who took a bunch of 3s with a sub 31% percentage.

not many guys did much later in their careers. michael redd is the big name

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

i'm not predicting anything about richardson but i'm a little nervous

here is a list of freshman who took a bunch of 3s with a sub 31% percentage.

not many guys did much later in their careers. michael redd is the big name

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts
I checked out a few from the bb power schools:

Redd (OSU) got better his second year (.341) but then trailed off his junior year.
Jordon Adams (UCLA) got better, and shot .356% his second year.
Boynton (Florida) got better (.331; .407; .321)
Vaughn (Cinci) got better (.398; .338; .338).

I know you can't really sparse out certain games, but if you exclude the one stinker game Richardson had against St. John's where he was 0-11 from 3, his percentage would be about 31%. Still not great, but not as horrendous sounding as the 26.6%. Let's just hope he continues to drive the ball and becomes a little more selective on his shot selection from 3.

He was 38% through Atlantis and 15% since. Oof. Hopefully this stretch is the aberration

I'm more worried about Roberson.

I know this is going to get some laughs but what about Obokoh trying alittle pf for roberson in practice.

There is advantages to having a litlte wide weight at PF, maybe in the longrun he can spot us 4-5 solid first half minutes at pf this year or next. He moves real well off that high screen, arguably better then roberson and dajuan imo. Find the right mismatch and it could be a plus.

On the other hand I remember one play earlier in the season where Gbinije let a rebound go out of bounce to teach Obokoh a lesson. Hes got to use that mobility to rebound on the defensive end also.

I too am starting to worry about Richardson. A positive is he can do more than shoot. A negative is he likes to shoot way more than anything else. Really hope the coaches reel him in a bit so it doesn't become a habit.

I know you can't really sparse out certain games, but if you exclude the one stinker game Richardson had against St. John's where he was 0-11 from 3, his percentage would be about 31%. Still not great, but not as horrendous sounding as the 26.6%. Let's just hope he continues to drive the ball and becomes a little more selective on his shot selection from 3.

I can't remember but I think he was 3-15 from three against gtown and wisconsin.

Last edited:
We were told the one thing he could do is shoot. It seems like his driving and rebounding is better than shot.

Looks like someone may have talked to him and told him just that. He has only put 9 total in the last two games. I agree with those who would prefer to see him going to basket and getting fouled.

I can't remember but I think he was 3-15 from three against gtown and wisconsin.

He was actually 1-23 from 3 (4%) in losses, whereas, he was 20-56 (36%) in wins. That being said, I am not worried about Richardson. This kid is tough. He showed me what he's made of when he continued to successfully drive hard to the basket after the assault level foul by A & M. I agree with the post about being more concerned with Roberson at this stage.

ideally, he'd be getting 15-25 mins a night at 2 with a few more sprinkled in backing up g at the 3 with new tyler getting the rest of the burn there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom