Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz

I can not for the life of me figure out why everyone is saying dated facilities. What is dated ? They have a brand new indoor facility. The locker room the rock built is amazing. There trophy room is very nice. Their meeting room wasn’t as nice as ours but was pretty good. They play in one of the nfls newest stadiums. They have a 2 year old outdoor practice field that is very nice. Their campus is gorgeous. Maybe their dorms are behind but players are only allowed to stay in dorms 2 years then have to find a place

I can not for the life of me figure out why everyone is saying dated facilities. What is dated ? They have a brand new indoor facility. The locker room the rock built is amazing. There trophy room is very nice. Their meeting room wasn’t as nice as ours but was pretty good. They play in one of the nfls newest stadiums. They have a 2 year old outdoor practice field that is very nice. Their campus is gorgeous. Maybe their dorms are behind but players are only allowed to stay in dorms 2 years then have to find a place
Wasn’t aware of the recent upgrades. Campus is and will always be one of the nicest around. Dorms are a bit of a issue.

Wasn’t aware of the recent upgrades. Campus is and will always be one of the nicest around. Dorms are a bit of a issue.
When I went there with shy I was under the same impression but they had started doing things there. There locker room was amazing and the out door field was under construction but looked very nice. They put down the sod the day we were there. The hard rock is an awesome stadium but is way off campus. I went last year for the game and stayed in one of those open air bar things in the upper deck corner... I had parents seats down low but it was so nice up there I stayed. (Thanks again mark for getting me in) I haven’t seen the new indoor but the pics make it look pretty good. The dorms are the big downfall ( or were) but like I say the players can only stay 2 years in dorms 4CF770A4-D0E8-4614-85A3-6BE13B12EE11.jpeg96E4B1FD-C6CE-4599-95D9-F1A645B7FDFF.jpegE773A91A-0C30-4417-9FD0-9F9BB4B310A2.jpeg

I know they were having a good season last year so it probably helped and we were playing well at the time so that may have contributed but that hard rock stadium was pretty full when we played there last year. The problem I heard from coaches there when we visited was getting students to travel the hour to the game. It’s a very nice stadium just off campus. The facilities were decent.. not as good as Syracuse not as bad as bc. I’d say the big problem for any coach taking that job is booster and former player interference. Manny taking over will be a nightmare for their compliance manager
It’s Miami. I’m sure they’ll have no problem following the rules.

...oh, wait. You meant the Miami in Florida...

Babers was in the final four considerations for OSU.
He was absolutely not in any "final consideration"

How the hell can you be in "final consideration" without receiving a phone call or an interview?

If that's the case, there were 5 women that were in "final consideration" of being my wife...I was considering both Bella and GiGi Hadid, Kate Beckinsale and Alexandria Daddario.

I didn't end up with any of them though, they were in "final consideration"

You need to re-read that article and learn some reading comprehension and don't skip any parts of it.

Yea just like any elite program a huge and overlooked piece is that the administration has to want to be a dominant football progrm in order for the program to do so. That means giving the right amount of resources. Dabo, Saban, Urban all great coaches but they also have/had complete and full backing from their schools to give them whatever it is they need to be at that level.

Miami has plenty of tailwinds but like you said if they don't want to spend money then it doesn't really matter. ACC academically is good but it isn't the Ivy League and Clemson and FSU get plenty of high level athletes so I don't think that really matters.

No one should ever mention ACC and high academic standards in the same sentence after what happened in Chapel Hill. Everyone looked the other way and did what they could to limit UNC’s punishment. Academics and athletics are mutually exclusive when $$$ is involved. Programs that have real academic standards should be applauded.

He was absolutely not in any "final consideration"

How the hell can you be in "final consideration" without receiving a phone call or an interview?

If that's the case, there were 5 women that were in "final consideration" of being my wife...I was considering both Bella and GiGi Hadid, Kate Beckinsale and Alexandria Daddario.

I didn't end up with any of them though, they were in "final consideration"

You need to re-read that article and learn some reading comprehension and don't skip any parts of it.
Oh for crying out loud. Bag it will you. The article said Gene Smith “considered” four candidates, and Babers was one. Maybe he simply thought about him. I said nothing about the level of consideration. I simply recited what the article said. Of course the consideration was not “serious”, genius.

Oh for crying out loud. Bag it will you. The article said Gene Smith “considered” four candidates, and Babers was one. Maybe he simply thought about him. I said nothing about the level of consideration. I simply recited what the article said. Of course the consideration was not “serious”, genius.
I never said "serious", you however did say "Final".

Considered means he might have thought about calling him, kind of like I thought about reaching out to these 4-5 women to inquire about prospects of becoming my wife. But realized it was a waste of time and I had no chance...well maybe I have a chance.

You touted that article like it was evidence of something which it absolutely is not. I am sure that the Miami AD considered Dino in the same fashion and then realized it was a pipe dream, just like considering a host of others like Saban, Jimbo, Harbaugh and so on.

I never said "serious", you however did say "Final".

Considered means he might have thought about calling him, kind of like I thought about reaching out to these 4-5 women to inquire about prospects of becoming my wife. But realized it was a waste of time and I had no chance...well maybe I have a chance.

You touted that article like it was evidence of something which it absolutely is not. I am sure that the Miami AD considered Dino in the same fashion and then realized it was a pipe dream, just like considering a host of others like Saban, Jimbo, Harbaugh and so on.
I cited the article because Gene Smith in some way, shape or form had Dino in mind. Maybe his mother in law was ahead of him in line, who knows or who cares. You need to read the initial post to which I replied, which said that Dino would never be “considered” for any high level job. That’s just dead wrong because he was, which is the only stinkin reason I posted the article. According to the article, there were only four possibilities for the OSU job of which Dino was one. Thats what the article says! Who cares if he was last or never called, Gene Smith as a matter of fact had him in mind.

Now, the level of consideration is something to which you seem to have a problem. However, I never said anything about how seriously he was considered. Again, maybe Gene Smith also considered his dog for the job. Even if he considered his dog, he also “CONSIDERED” (however YOU wish to define that) Dino.

I’m not sure why you’re arguing this. Bored?

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with the job. Dino will crush it anywhere.

This is like the fourth person who has said this so i will expound. What i think people most underestimate about dino is he demands discipline in his players. People call him a players coach. Imo, he is to a large extent but he also demands 100% effort through his system. I think his s&c program is a large reason for cuse’s success. As much as a reason as his offensive system. If you put that discipline in miami’s program, watch out. Dino has the credibility to demand it. Cuse is a great program but i hesitate to say we have a higher cieling than miami. With that being said, the fan support is a huge negative for a guy like dino.

That's not necessarily a problem since a lot of schools don't have dorms for upperclassmen. The UVa Athletic Department basically rents out a whole apartment complex for the football and basketball teams. All of Johns Hopkins' junior and senior lacrosse players have to live off-campus unless they're RAs and I don't think that hurts their recruiting any and we're talking about living in the city of Baltimore and not a suburb like Coral Gables.

That's not necessarily a problem since a lot of schools don't have dorms for upperclassmen. The UVa Athletic Department basically rents out a whole apartment complex for the football and basketball teams. All of Johns Hopkins' junior and senior lacrosse players have to live off-campus unless they're RAs and I don't think that hurts their recruiting any and we're talking about living in the city of Baltimore and not a suburb like Coral Gables.
Off campus housing isn’t the issue. Underclassmen dorms are the issue. UM used to have on campus apartments that many of the football players lived in, but they were torn down to build the basketball arena.

How could the AD at Miami have no idea that Richt was thinking about this? And once it happened there really was only one solid choice for them to make and that was Kiffin. I mean, he already is in south Florida, has been a head coach at 3 schools and has a strong team at FIU. Yeah, he's crazy, but that seems to be one of the requirements for the job. I'm sure he has learned some things along the way and maybe is a little more under control. The whole thing is a huge fail by the Miami AD. Temple comes out the winner with $6.5 million and what they have designated already to spend on a coach, they could really go after a name coach to try to jump their program up tp the next level.
Butch Davis is at FIU.

Kiffin is at FAU.

Anyone note that Temple gracefully ignored a contract and let Manny Diaz “go home?”

I Wish the Miami AD had done the same with Gus Edwards’ final year of eligibility and Syracuse. Blake James is a hypocrite.

Plus, poor Gus was forced play at to Rutgers, although he’s doing quite well in the NFL. So good for him.

Yea this hire is odd. Seems like a panic, comfort zone hire which rarely works out. If the school doesn't care if their program is elite then it never will be. They'd have to make those investments but all the talent they could ask for is nearby with many of those kids high school and youth coaches wanting Miami to be back.

shafer_ss519ngx_oe9ookir.jpg