RIP Martin Januszkiewicz | Syracusefan.com

RIP Martin Januszkiewicz

I never saw him play, but got to know him later in his life as a Syracuse lacrosse fan while his son was on the team. He was such a great guy with a huge, bellowing laugh that could be heard throughout the tailgate. First class guy and a great family.

He was top 20 all-time in career rushing yards at Syracuse before being passed by Sean Tucker late last season.

Lackawanna Locomotive! Schwartzee when asked why Marty J didn't bounce outside on a run when the opponents D-line got sealed up inside said "that by the time he got outside the quarter would be over" Big and slow running backs pounding inside the tackles why old Ben eventually got pushed out. RIP and say hi to Ben for me. Sad. Marty was a great man that did a lot of good.

Last edited:
Died of Parkinson's Disease this month. His family is donating his brain for CTE research.
Oh my.

I have a lot of memories of Marty Januszkiewicz.

I remember seeing him play in his first game - September, 1969 in the home opener versus Iowa State.

He scored both TDs that day in a 14-13 win. Johnny Majors was the ISU head coach.

Marty was injured in the game and missed the rest of the season.

The next season, he led the Orangemen to a huge upset win over Penn State in Beaver Stadium.

He rushed for 155 yards that day.

He was strong and ran hard.

He and Roger Praetorious played together - No. 36 and No. 39.

RIP Lackawanna Locomotive!

Oh my.

I have a lot of memories of Marty Januszkiewicz.

I remember seeing him play in his first game - September, 1969 in the home opener versus Iowa State.

He scored both TDs that day in a 14-13 win. Johnny Majors was the ISU head coach.

Marty was injured in the game and missed the rest of the season.

The next season, he led the Orangemen to a huge upset win over Penn State in Beaver Stadium.

He rushed for 155 yards that day.

He was strong and ran hard.

He and Roger Praetorious played together - No. 36 and No. 39.

RIP Lackawanna Locomotive!

Didn't realize that he missed basically an entire season. Makes his career rushing numbers even more impressive, IMO.

Didn't realize that he missed basically an entire season. Makes his career rushing numbers even more impressive, IMO.
I'm pretty sure he redshirted and played three full seasons.

Freshmen in 69 didn't play varsity. Marty and Roger P were pressed into service as sophomores due to the boycott in 70.
Actually Jan was well liked by Schwartzwalder and got a lot of playing time as a TB in the 1969 opener.

Actually Jan was well liked by Schwartzwalder and got a lot of playing time as a TB in the 1969 opener.
Thanks. missing a year here. Don't remember him as a freshmen. Did he get hurt in 69? Only game I was in town for was the Iowa State game, won by a point 14 to 13.

Thanks. missing a year here. Don't remember him as a freshmen. Did he get hurt in 69? Only game I was in town for was the Iowa State game, won by a point 14 to 13.

I have some SU football yearbooks from that era, but not all of them. I have the ones prior to the 1969 and 1971 seasons. The 1969 yearbook, (the closest thing to a media guide back then), lists Marty as a 6-1 218 sophomore tailback, "a radio annou8cner's delight...averaged close to 200 yards per game, rushing for the unbeaten Frosh and scored 9 touchdowns. Fullback is his natural position but will be switched to tailback...lacks halfback speed (4.8 for 40), but bulls over people and really stings a tackler. ...A blue-chipper, most valuable player as junior and senior in high school, (Lackawanna NY) wants to play pro ball." (Marty had no lack of 'want to')

Sports reference.com shows Marty playing in 10 games in 1969 but they show everybody playing in 10 games in 1969: 1969 Syracuse Orange Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
he ran the ball 16 times for 59 yards and 2TDS.

The 1971 yearbook says this about Marty: He's 6-1 212, a junior fullback with 4.9 speed in the 40. "Jan the Man was perhaps the most impressive performer in spring practice. A year's experience has made him much better. He has much more finesse. it's hard to get a clear shot at him...Rushed for 769 yards last year, third highest ever for a sophomore behind Floyd Little and Larry Csonka...Leading scorer with 8 touchdowns...Rushed for 153 yards against Penn State, third highest total against the Lions in a single game and had two touchdowns...Rushed for 118 yards vs. Maryland...strong as a bull, good blocker, will be one of the best fullbacks in the country this fall."

With Roger Praetorius, also by nature a fullback, we had two good runners in the backfield but with no speed. Marty still had productive years with 623 yards and 2TDs in 1971 and 618 yards and 5TDs in 1972. Marty Januszkiewicz College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

The only way for him to have been a sophomore in both 1969 and 1970 was an injury redshirt in 1969. That's the only reason they redshirted anyone in those days.

Yes, as a true sophomore, he played substantial minutes in that Iowa State game. He scored two TDs - in the west endzone if I recall correctly.

But, he was injured and did not play for the rest of the year.

So, he played a full sophomore year in 1970.

I remember that Iowa State game very well. It was a beautiful sunny day. I went with my grandfather - had a couple of Pilgrim Franks - and saw a good win.

Great memories.

I have some SU football yearbooks from that era, but not all of them. I have the ones prior to the 1969 and 1971 seasons. The 1969 yearbook, (the closest thing to a media guide back then), lists Marty as a 6-1 218 sophomore tailback, "a radio annou8cner's delight...averaged close to 200 yards per game, rushing for the unbeaten Frosh and scored 9 touchdowns. Fullback is his natural position but will be switched to tailback...lacks halfback speed (4.8 for 40), but bulls over people and really stings a tackler. ...A blue-chipper, most valuable player as junior and senior in high school, (Lackawanna NY) wants to play pro ball." (Marty had no lack of 'want to')

Sports reference.com shows Marty playing in 10 games in 1969 but they show everybody playing in 10 games in 1969: 1969 Syracuse Orange Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
he ran the ball 16 times for 59 yards and 2TDS.

The 1971 yearbook says this about Marty: He's 6-1 212, a junior fullback with 4.9 speed in the 40. "Jan the Man was perhaps the most impressive performer in spring practice. A year's experience has made him much better. He has much more finesse. it's hard to get a clear shot at him...Rushed for 769 yards last year, third highest ever for a sophomore behind Floyd Little and Larry Csonka...Leading scorer with 8 touchdowns...Rushed for 153 yards against Penn State, third highest total against the Lions in a single game and had two touchdowns...Rushed for 118 yards vs. Maryland...strong as a bull, good blocker, will be one of the best fullbacks in the country this fall."

With Roger Praetorius, also by nature a fullback, we had two good runners in the backfield but with no speed. Marty still had productive years with 623 yards and 2TDs in 1971 and 618 yards and 5TDs in 1972. Marty Januszkiewicz College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

The only way for him to have been a sophomore in both 1969 and 1970 was an injury redshirt in 1969. That's the only reason they redshirted anyone in those days.
He played TB against Iowa State in the 1969 opener. John Goldbolt was also in that backfield - a solid player who had a key run down the stretch to seal the win against the Cyclones. And, of course, Al Newton, an underrated player was the FB on that team.

He played TB against Iowa State in the 1969 opener. John Goldbolt was also in that backfield - a solid player who had a key run down the stretch to seal the win against the Cyclones. And, of course, Al Newton, an underrated player was the FB on that team.

We avenged the only tie in the Schwartzwalder Era that day. (But another one was coming in the first game I attended as a student at SU.)

We avenged the only tie in the Schwartzwalder Era that day. (But another one was coming in the first game I attended as a student at SU.)
Yes, from memory I recall the 1971 opening tie with Wisconsin when Earle Baugher missed the PAT following a two minute drive by new QB Bob Woodruff - utterly painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom