Rob Murphy leaving Eastern Michigan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rob Murphy leaving Eastern Michigan

"I guess some coaches would just rather work in the NBA than on the college level, no matter how successful they've been in college or how much potential they have there. See Weaver, Troy. "

Weaver went from being a ass. college coach to a job in scouting for the NBA. Probably a lateral move. Going from HC, even at a relatively small time program, to NBA ass. coach/scout is a step down in my opinion. Plus I think it was pretty well known that that's wehere Troy wanted to end up eventually. I never got that sense w Murph.

But anything is possible I suppose.

"I guess some coaches would just rather work in the NBA than on the college level, no matter how successful they've been in college or how much potential they have there. See Weaver, Troy. "

Weaver went from being a ass. college coach to a job in scouting for the NBA. Probably a lateral move. Going from HC, even at a relatively small time program, to NBA ass. coach/scout is a step down in my opinion. Plus I think it was pretty well known that that's wehere Troy wanted to end up eventually. I never got that sense w Murph.

I would also assume that with JB and Troy's ties he could have had an NBA scouting position last year if that was what he truly wanted.

Plus Troy was never really a "coach". He was more a talent evaluator/scout/recruiter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Plus Troy was never really a "coach". He was more a talent evaluator/scout/recruiter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah...I've always thought of him as more of a recruiter than a teacher while he was at SU.

Seems odd for Murphy.
Not really. He was always a GREAT recruiter. Maybe that's what he enjoys doing most and is best suited for.
Could be that a HC position is not really where he wants to be, and a scouting gig in the bigs is right up his alley.

Btw- that article indicates that this was more than just a scouting position as Parrish reported, but a full-on Asst Coaching gig. Makes more sense if it is.

Not really. He was always a GREAT recruiter. Maybe that's what he enjoys doing most and is best suited for.
Could be that a HC position is not really where he wants to be, and a scouting gig in the bigs is right up his alley.

Btw- that article indicates that this was more than just a scouting position as Parrish reported, but a full-on Asst Coaching gig. Makes more sense if it is.

Who were his recruits? Because he was here for seven seasons and he never really struck me as a GREAT recruiter.

Weaver, OTOH...

if he left on his own volition, its a complete dick move. You leave the program in lerch amid crucial recruiting season and after all other viable coaching options have landed jobs.

Having said that, this smells like someone told him to leave.

Who were his recruits? Because he was here for seven seasons and he never really struck me as a GREAT recruiter.

Weaver, OTOH...
Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Jonny Flynn
Donte Greene
Wes Johnson
Kris Joseph
Dash Riley ( yes, he never panned out, but still...)
to name a few.
I don't think its a coincidence that we experienced a major uptick in the caliber of recruits when Rob was leading the charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Jonny Flynn
Donte Greene
Wes Johnson
Kris Joseph
Dash Riley ( yes, he never panned out, but still...)
to name a few.
I don't think its a coincidence that we experienced a major uptick in the caliber of recruits when Rob was leading the charge.

I don't know...that's why I asked.

But like you said, Riley was kind of a bust, and Flynn probably would have come if Bluecurtain was recruiting him.

Troy didn't have a masters, or maybe even a bachlors. Couldn't be a HC in college, I believe.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but murph got some help (cough-weaver) on some recruits, especially baltimore area players. His one gem was Wes. Flynn was hop.

Andy Katz
1. The Eastern Michigan staff said it is in the dark as of Wednesday morning as to what head coach Rob Murphy was going to do after a report that he was leaving for a scouting job with the Orlando Magic. Murphy was the MAC Coach of the Year in his first season with the school, finishing 9-7 and in first place in the MAC West, 14-18 overall. Murphy was strangely enough at the predraft camp in Chicago in June, the only active college coach there without a player. Technically, Murphy was there to watch Syracuse’s Kris Joseph, whom he recruited when he was an assistant. Still, if Murphy leaves EMU in August for a scouting job it would be quite a slap in the face to the school that gave him a head-coaching job, to his staff members who are currently wondering if they’ll have a job, and the players expecting to be coached by this staff in a few weeks.

Troy didn't have a masters, or maybe even a bachlors. Couldn't be a HC in college, I believe.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Correct, no bachelor's degree (not sure if that's a bar on coaching, though - I know that it's often the opposite when it comes to graduate degrees: many athletic directors won't hire candidates who have more education than they do). Always got the sense that Weaver was a recruiter with the title of assistant coach.

Is there ever a good time for a head coach to leave? Jeez, it's like some of you are saying you wouldn't leave your job for greener pastures just so you don't piss off your staff, your current company or your boss.

Oh, and before anybody tries to define "greener pastures", it's in the eye of the beholder.

If he decides to stay and doesn't have a good story (according to the AD) methinks he may be sent packing. Either immediately or after this season.

Is there ever a good time for a head coach to leave? Jeez, it's like some of you are saying you wouldn't leave your job for greener pastures just so you don't piss off your staff, your current company or your boss.

Oh, and before anybody tries to define "greener pastures", it's in the eye of the beholder.

Right after the season. Most coaching moves are made in the month or so (maybe its even less) after the end of the season. Leaving like this, right before school starts, doesn't reflect all that well on him, IMO. Definitely, you gotta do whats best for you, so in that sense I understand it.

What about family situations? It is very tough to move to somewhere new, even though he is from the Detroit area. Is his wife from Michigan? Rob has two young children and that has to be tough putting in the time necessary to be a head coach. I am sorry, if it is between a job or my children/wife. My wife and children come first. Just guessing.

Assistant coaches will find new gigs and players will be coached by someone that can make that commitment. It happens everyday in other sectors but since they have the spot light on them we tend to speculate the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom