Roc Burned $$$$$$$ Today | Syracusefan.com

Roc Burned $$$$$$$ Today

iommi

Living Legend
A ton of eyes on this game. Scouts watching the Okafor- Christmas matchup very closely. What happened? Roc got outplayed from pillar to post by Okafor, who totally dominated Christmas. Roc missed at least 8 very easy shots and frankly, looked rattled. Okafor, after a slow start, settled in and put up huge numbers. It was a clinic. Okafor showed no fear and showed superior footwork, patience and fortitude. Roc played too fast and may have been trying to do too much. It was his second bad game in a row too.

I think Roc's stock plummeted today. Yes, it was just one game but our schedule has been terrible and the first time Roc plays a big time center, he looks like a flummoxed freshman out there. It's a damn shame too because Roc has carried this team on his back all year and has been an absolute warrior.

I don't think its hyperbolic to say Roc may have dropped out of the first round after today. He has three weeks or so to bounce back and show what he can do but make no mistake about it: today was not a good look.

Last edited:
Shame he didn't play better against the guy who will likely be player of the year in the NCAA. :rolleyes:

I said 3 weeks ago that the Christmas bandwagon was getting a bit too crowded and that we'd find out more in February when he faced better competition. That said, yeah you're being hyperbolic. If 3 or 4 of those shots fall then his performance is seen in a different light. My problem with RC is on the defensive end where I think he would get mauled in the NBA. He's a decent shot blocker but when quality big men take it to him they have an alarming degree of success.

Xmas looked like a deer in headlights. Played totally hesitant and got outplayed big time. He played like the matchup with Okafor got in his head.

This. He was overcome by the moment...by the spotlight.

Rak did not play well on the big stage against his biggest opponent...
No question.
Honestly, though, I never thought he was playing like a first round talent. A 2nd rounder for sure, with potential to improve his range and be a complete NBA player...
And That baby hook would be more effective if he used the backboard...

He is going to have to play his way to money. He could average 25 from here on out and it would't change the fact that the NBA doesn't like older players.

4 or 5 of them bunnies drop, and you be singing a different tune. Okafor got more of his points in transition or on put backs then he did in the post against Rak. Rak got the shots he wanted all game, just rimmed out a bunch of them or hit on the arm for some. Add his 5 blocks and five assists and he had a decent game vs the supposed number one pick of the upcoming draft.

Shame he didn't play better against the guy who will likely be player of the year in the NCAA. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's a shame. Many people thought Roc should be a Wooden Award finalist. It's a shame he didn't even play decently today against the best, yes it is.

4 or 5 of them bunnies drop, and you be singing a different tune. Okafor got more of his points in transition or on put backs then he did in the post against Rak. Rak got the shots he wanted all game, just rimmed out a bunch of them or hit on the arm for some. Add his 5 blocks and five assists and he had a decent game vs the supposed number one pick of the upcoming draft.

I agree his stat line would've looked better IF he made some more chip shots but he didn't. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. Hey it happens. But his timing was bad. Hopefully, he does better in Durham.

rakim won't ever be drafted to be a dominant inside scorer. if he's selected it will be as a defensive forward. didn't help the cause today.

A ton of eyes on this game. Scouts watching the Okafor- Christmas matchup very closely. What happened? Roc got outplayed from pillar to post by Okafor, who totally dominated Christmas. Roc missed at least 8 very easy shots and frankly, looked rattled. Okafor, after a slow start, settled in and put up huge numbers. It was a clinic. Okafor showed no fear and showed superior footwork, patience and fortitude. Roc played too fast and may have been trying to do too much. It was his second bad game in a row too.

I think Roc's stock plummeted today. Yes, it was just one game but our schedule has been terrible and the first time Roc plays a big time center, he looks like a flummoxed freshman out there. It's a damn shame too because Roc has carried this team on his back all year and has been an absolute warrior.

I don't think its hyperbolic to say Roc may have dropped out of the first round after today. He has three weeks or so to bounce back and show what he can do but make no mistake about it: today was not a good look.

He played tentative for sure, but your overreaction here is once again way way way over the top, and unfortunately for the rest of us, not surprising. Tone it down dude.

Can't believe the lack of basketball knowledge in this thread. Rak SHOT terrible. SHOT. He actually got any shot he wanted against Okafor. Scouts see that. Internet board posters don't.

This was Rak's chance to make a big impression on the scouts and have a real chance for 1 st round. Made a big impression but it wasn't a good one. Missed 12 shots many 1-2 feet from the rim. Looked a little intimidated. Okafor looked like the #1 overall pick.

This was Rak's chance to make a big impression on the scouts and have a real chance for 1 st round. Made a big impression but it wasn't a good one. Missed 12 shots many 1-2 feet from the rim. Looked a little intimidated. Okafor looked like the #1 overall pick.

I wouldn't say intimidated. Just tentative. Okafor's not really a shot blocker.

Can't believe the lack of basketball knowledge in this thread. Rak SHOT terrible. SHOT. He actually got any shot he wanted against Okafor. Scouts see that. Internet board posters don't.

So actually MAKING shots is irrelevant? I'll use an analogy: let's say Julio Jones is facing the Seahawks and is guarded by Sherman all game. Jones burns Sherman a few times but drops two TD catches. Did Jones have a good game? Should he get credit for getting open against a great corner? Or would the story be the drops?

Your lack of basic COMMON SENSE is unbelievable.

He is going to have to play his way to money. He could average 25 from here on out and it would't change the fact that the NBA doesn't like older players.

Doug McDermott, Adreian Payne and Shabazz Napier all say hello. Plus I'm sure a couple of the foreign players taken in last year's first round were probably RC's age too. No doubt the NBA likes the younger players but if you're good enough they'll take you in the first round.

So actually MAKING shots is irrelevant? I'll use an analogy: let's say Julio Jones is facing the Seahawks and is guarded by Sherman all game. Jones burns Sherman a few times but drops two TD catches. Did Jones have a good game? Should he get credit for getting open against a great corner? Or would the story be the drops?

Your lack of basic COMMON SENSE is unbelievable.

No, your lack of perspective is unbelievable. This is ONE F%#@@ING game. You act like he's going to be done with basketball now because he didn't dominate the best player in college hoops this year. Your out of your mother f-ing mind. Step away from the computer. You are embarrassing yourself.

He's got 4 or 5 more games against some very good teams. Settle down people. It's one game.

CuseFaninVT said:
He's got 4 or 5 more games against some very good teams. Settle down people. It's one game.

This was a big one. Hurt his stock on a huge way. Can't overlook his weaknesses tonight.

Doug McDermott, Adreian Payne and Shabazz Napier all say hello. Plus I'm sure a couple of the foreign players taken in last year's first round were probably RC's age too. No doubt the NBA likes the younger players but if you're good enough they'll take you in the first round.
Outliers. Clearly, it is possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom