Rocky Long | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

I don’t believe he flew back east to discuss strategy in the middle of winter.

My take is we offered a contract and he has 24-48 hours to decide if he would like to move to beautiful upstate New York to lead the Orange Defense!

It would be nice to finally win one of these where we feel like we got our prized possession in a DC everyone can get on board with especially with a nerve racking signing day coming up. Can only help with D recruits if SU has a DC signed up

I don’t believe he flew back east to discuss strategy in the middle of winter.

My take is we offered a contract and he has 24-48 hours to decide if he would like to move to beautiful upstate New York to lead the Orange Defense!

Not to rain on the parade, but it could be he came for an interview and didn't get the job.

I like your scenario better, but just because he flew across the country, it doesn't mean Dino felt he was the right man to lead the defense.

No idea what is going on, but it feels like a purposeful leak by his agent to leverage his boss for a bigger and better 'crootin budget.

And DB likes to keep things on the down low, so it kind of has that feel to it

he's not high paying but he still made $900k at sdsu. so if he wants to be a dc, he's gonna have to take a ~50% cut I figure.

I would not be surprised to see Dino/JW get the brass to agree to pay him $600k. After all, this guy was pretty successful as a HC, let alone DC. Would probably help Dino in so many other ways as a mentor, backbone, etc.

All in.

“as of now, I’m still the head football coach at San Diego State.”

In a phone conversation, Long said: “I have been talking football for a couple days. It’s been kind of fun.”

Asked who he has been talking football with, the coach responded: “I’m not going to say.”

Is Twitter accurate?
“I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t read any Twitter.”
Told that Twitter said he was at Syracuse, Long said, “I haven’t read it, so I’m not commenting.”

What Long would say is: “I haven’t made any obvious changes in my status. The coaching staff comes back from Christmas vacation on Wednesday and we have our first staff meeting and we plan on mapping out where we go from there.”

I think I'm 9/10 on these..

gif_temp.gif

No idea what is going on, but it feels like a purposeful leak by his agent to leverage his boss for a bigger and better 'crootin budget.

And a tool like Thamel cooperated

“as of now, I’m still the head football coach at San Diego State.”

In a phone conversation, Long said: “I have been talking football for a couple days. It’s been kind of fun.”

Asked who he has been talking football with, the coach responded: “I’m not going to say.”

Is Twitter accurate?
“I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t read any Twitter.”
Told that Twitter said he was at Syracuse, Long said, “I haven’t read it, so I’m not commenting.”

What Long would say is: “I haven’t made any obvious changes in my status. The coaching staff comes back from Christmas vacation on Wednesday and we have our first staff meeting and we plan on mapping out where we go from there.”
Interesting choice of wording: “as of now, I’m still the head football coach at San Diego State.”

On the other hand, Long is reported to good friends with Mike Leach who is also looking for a DC.

So Wednesday it is

Exactly. Let the staff know he's moving up in coaching from a HC to a DC position at Syracuse.

If we are still negotiating I hope we seal the deal, if it hasn't been done already. If we don't get him signed there are other schools that will come looking in the next couple days.

Gave you like for proper use of 'crootin.

Also, originally it had been 'crootin', but I kinda think I like it better as 'crootin. It's less correct, but that feels right.

LoL i don’t think this is happening, but if it was opposite day and HCDB just came back from a known interview/meeting and said “as of now, I’m still the head football coach at Syracuse” everyone would be tripping out.

He would be the HC of the Defense. Maybe he can attract other promising young assistants who would want to learn from him.

I don’t know... if the guy flew in on Syracuse nickel and the coach took that long @$$ flight across the country to get here, I highly doubt that is a leverage play by Rock. He seems more straightforward. There would have been discussion over the phone beforehand to gauge interest. You fly a 68 year old coach in to close a deal from San Diego is my guess. I say it’s serious and Rocks attorneys are looking at the fine print for him. By Thursday at the latest it’s done.

Would he be the first senior citizen in history to move from San Diego to Central New York voluntarily?

If so, can the Hopkins/Pacific Northwest fanboys stop using geography as a reason Hopkins would never return?
Bud Poliquin left the Herald for one year to go to the San Diego paper and came back to Syracuse after the year. In retrospect I wish he stayed in San Diego. He ruined a lot of good ink and newsprint with his drivel.

Bud Poliquin left the Herald for one year to go to the San Diego paper and came back to Syracuse after the year. In retrospect I wish he stayed in San Diego. He ruined a lot of good ink and newsprint with his drivel.

Did he leave or did they chase him out with pitchforks? I go with the latter

I don’t know... if the guy flew in on Syracuse nickel and the coach took that long @$$ flight across the country to get here, I highly doubt that is a leverage play by Rock. He seems more straightforward. There would have been discussion over the phone beforehand to gauge interest. You fly a 68 year old coach in to close a deal from San Diego is my guess. I say it’s serious and Rocks attorneys are looking at the fine print for him. By Thursday at the latest it’s done.

I kind of think if it was a ploy by rock to get more leverage at SDSU he could have found something a bit closer. I don’t think he flies across the country unless there’s some smoke there. Not saying it comes together but there is/was at least some mutual interest.

A bit surprised we’re still looking for a DC. Thought this was wrapped up. After all, it’s been about two months since we knew we needed one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom