Rocky Long | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

Just flew through a condensed game of his Defense against a good Boise State team on the road to get us some good mojo for a possible hiring. All I can say is he would be a fantastic get. They had 3 Turnovers in the 1st half against a good QB and had tremendous pressure on him all game. Mixed it up a ton on the LOS-4,5,6-hard to tell where blitzers were coming from.

How would you feel, as a 17/18 year old kid, about committing to a program and then finding out the HC would rather be a DC elsewhere? Doesn’t really speak too highly of San Diego State.

How would you feel, as a 17/18 year old kid, about committing to a program and then finding out the HC would rather be a DC elsewhere? Doesn’t really speak too highly of San Diego State.
I think that would have more to do with the fact he is 70 than the SDSU program

Loving the developments here. Rocky seems like a great get.

Then get a top notch recruiter to balance with.

“as of now, I’m still the head football coach at San Diego State.”

In a phone conversation, Long said: “I have been talking football for a couple days. It’s been kind of fun.”

Asked who he has been talking football with, the coach responded: “I’m not going to say.”

Is Twitter accurate?
“I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t read any Twitter.”
Told that Twitter said he was at Syracuse, Long said, “I haven’t read it, so I’m not commenting.”

What Long would say is: “I haven’t made any obvious changes in my status. The coaching staff comes back from Christmas vacation on Wednesday and we have our first staff meeting and we plan on mapping out where we go from there.”

"Long’s base salary for 2019 was $878,228, which USA Today ranked 87th among the 130 FBS coaches." Wouldn't we have to pay him at least that?

Just flew through a condensed game of his Defense against a good Boise State team on the road to get us some good mojo for a possible hiring. All I can say is he would be a fantastic get. They had 3 Turnovers in the 1st half against a good QB and had tremendous pressure on him all game. Mixed it up a ton on the LOS-4,5,6-hard to tell where blitzers were coming from.
I'm sorry to be contrary, but SDSU's defense under Long doesn't indicate any more than SU's defense under Babers. It's really nore about who their DC is.

So do you think this was/is our #1 choice to be our DC? I say no, their bowl game was 12/21, certainly he would have been in deeper discussions before now.

As others have said great for the defense maybe it doesn't do alot for recruiting, so who do we hire for that role?

If he decides to stay in SoCal where do we go now? It's getting late in the game! Are we down to option #4 for DC, this sounds alot like our recruiting struggles!

I'm sorry to be contrary, but SDSU's defense under Long doesn't indicate any more than SU's defense under Babers. It's really nore about who their DC is.

SU’s offense under Babers is the better corollary - he’s known for it, largely credited as a part of a specific offensive philosophy, etc.

He’s a known quantity on defense, well respected for his defenses, etc.

Both guys have a long track record and their peers see them the way we’re describing them here

Good lord. If Dino hired Belichick many of you would still whine and complain. It's ridiculous. never built a program, blah blah blah. Waited to long, blah blah. It so weird that many that have been here forever all know that much of the hiring gets done at the convention or right after yet they still whine and complain about Dino. Man was a genius 6 months ago to many of the same people who now think he cant tie his shoes at this point. Just ridiculous

Good lord. If Dino hired Belichick many of you would still whine and complain. It's ridiculous. never built a program, blah blah blah. Waited to long, blah blah. It so weird that many that have been here forever all know that much of the hiring gets done at the convention or right after yet they still whine and complain about Dino. Man was a genius 6 months ago to many of the same people who now think he cant tie his shoes at this point. Just ridiculous
Bet Belichick would be a bad recruiter. No charisma.

:)

I think everyone is largely impatient because they want something to get excited about and start building momentum for the next season.

I would assume there are A LOT of things going on behind doors that they don’t really want everyone to know about.

With that being said, I can’t wait to see who they hire so we can start looking to next season!

Last edited:
"Long’s base salary for 2019 was $878,228, which USA Today ranked 87th among the 130 FBS coaches." Wouldn't we have to pay him at least that?
Only he knows. Maybe he's just looking to be a football coach without all the extra that goes along with being head coach. Sometimes when people are set financially, they stop looking for the next big payday, not that anything in the 6 figures is small, and look for something they'll enjoy.

I don’t know... if the guy flew in on Syracuse nickel and the coach took that long @$$ flight across the country to get here, I highly doubt that is a leverage play by Rock. He seems more straightforward. There would have been discussion over the phone beforehand to gauge interest. You fly a 68 year old coach in to close a deal from San Diego is my guess. I say it’s serious and Rocks attorneys are looking at the fine print for him. By Thursday at the latest it’s done.
Who says he flew in from Cali.

My post was neither for nor against Long's hire.
I was simply pointing out that a better indication of his defenses would be from his various stints as DC earlier in his career (OSU, UCLA, SDSU), not when he was head coach (which was the premise of the post to which I was responding).