Ron Patterson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Patterson

Then what? Neither of these players makes or breaks us. If we don't land either of them, then we'll land someone of equal talent next year. Which is why I don't resonate with the "bird in the hand" philosophy when it comes to hoop recruiting. We are recruiting like gangbusters right now; we're in a great position, because Jordan and Patterson are more 'nices-to-have' than 'need-to-have.'

I think that the main concern is about replenishing depth in the backcourt--specifically at point guard. Triche is gone after this year. MCW may or may not be leaving early [not suggesting that he will, just that it is a possibility]. If both depart, then we'll be facing a situation where Ennis is the lone PG on the roster.

But at 2, we'll have Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije--which is why a player like Patterson, while he would make a great addition, might be less of a priority than a player like Jordan who projects as a 1 and would fill a bigger team need.

Please note that I wouldn't have an issue with landing either player, neither of them, or however it works out. I just don't view Patterson as a priority / 1 in the hand situation AT ALL. He sounds like a great player who might fall into our lap due to some unfortunate circumstances at Indiana. If so, I'd love to welcome him aboard, and I'm sure he'd be great at SU. But IMO a bigger priority needs to be building depth at PG behind Ennis.

And of course, all of that changes if MCW stays, since then we'd have two PGs next year. And even if MCW goes and we land Patterson, we could always go after a PG next year, too!

thank you, i didnt have the patience to write all that but its almost exactly what i was thinking.

Wonder if SU would take a juco pg if we struck out on other options...

Good Juco players want to start they only have 2 or 3 years left so they are less willing to come off the bench.

If we are looking for another point Grab Steven Clark he would balence Ennis as a scoring PG(shooting guard).
As I mentioned before hes got us in his top 7. 5'8 or not hes like Flynn if he had a jumpshot. Crazy range.

Our turnover ration with him and Ennis would be like 0 in 2014, and he would bring the offense we need as a soph with his speed. If he only grows a inch or two its lights out. IMO, We should be all over this one zone or not, hes to good of a shooter.

If we are looking for another point Grab Steven Clark he would balence Ennis as a scoring PG(shooting guard).
As I mentioned before hes got us in his top 7. 5'8 or not hes like Flynn if he had a jumpshot. Crazy range.

Our turnover ration with him and Ennis would be like 0 in 2014, and he would bring the offense we need as a soph with his speed. If he only grows a inch or two its lights out. IMO, We should be all over this one zone or not, hes to good of a shooter.
Isn't Whitehead a combo guard? Briaco has said he and Ennis want to play together.
I don't think guard is really a bif concern id we get another obe or not.
Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I think its more how much we lose for the 14-15 season(which would be Ennis second year), then it is about 2013.

Fair will be graduated by 014. I expect Dajuan to be two and done, Gbinije looks like he probably could be one and done for us. Keita will have graduated as well, and Rak could be gone by the end of his jr year.
If all those things happen...

That leaves us with 1.Ennis(soph) 2.BJ(soph) 3.Okoboh(soph) 4.Jerami(JR) 5.Cooney(Jr-technically senior) and cashing chips in on 3-5 freshmen in the lineup.

IMO JB will push hard to get atleast another true scoring sophmore out there.
Plus add in how Okoboh could be raw offensively, and how BJ might need 3 years to hit full stride.
If I had to take a wild guess. Rak is our best case return for 2014 between him, Dajuan and Gbinije.

Steven Clark the kid I listed above hit over 30 points 6 times as a high school Jr, and put up 60 plus points and high 50's once as well to go with 40 in the state championship game. IMO Hes a real deal scorer good enough to draw doubles at the college level and has beyond nba range. IMO just a opinion but I think he belongs in the top 50 tied or not, and has as much range as any SG in 2014.

Players under 6 feet aren't going to be recruited by us, they don't work at the top of the zone. Jonny was a nice player but on defense he struggled. We have two choices right now and nothing i've seen makes me think we won't land one or the other.

dissagree.
Aquille Carr 5'7 was just offered by us earlier this year. Johnny was only 5'8 when we recruited him I think. Plus this kid could grow another inch or two.

this Steven clark kid has well beyond NBA range in high school and hes utilizing it. And hes said to be a good student athlete on top and has the speed to get open all the time.

Think of 2013. adding another scoring threat to the team. Dajuan in the paint. Fair just beyond the high post. Rak downlow. Gbinije ready to drive, Ennis at the point, Cooney from deep, and now we would have another ready point guard out there with crazy three point range and the superior speed to score from day one.
Im all chips in.

dissagree.
Aquille Carr 5'7 was just offered by us earlier this year. Johnny was only 5'8 when we recruited him I think. Plus this kid could grow another inch or two.

this Steven clark kid has well beyond NBA range in high school and hes utilizing it. And hes said to be a good student athlete on top and has the speed to get open all the time.

Think of 2013. adding another scoring threat to the team. Dajuan in the paint. Fair just beyond the high post. Rak downlow. Gbinije ready to drive, Ennis at the point, Cooney from deep, and now we would have another ready point guard out there with crazy three point range and the superior speed to score from day one.
Im all chips in.

It's almost bizarre how much you are pushing this random short guard that SU has literally no interest in. I'm starting to wonder if you fall in his "handler" or "close relative" category. Give it up.

It's almost bizarre how much you are pushing this random short guard that SU has literally no interest in. I'm starting to wonder if you fall in his "handler" or "close relative" category. Give it up.

Almost?????

No hes just a little nutty : )
render.jpeg
Even Tyler has to laugh at the thought of him pairing up with an 5'8 scoring guard in the zone lol.

dissagree.

Im all chips in.
If we offered Aquille Carr he wouldn't be going to Seton Hall.

He's quite a player: 25+ foot range on his jumper, double digit assists, and led his team to 3 straight state championships. He's not coming here but he'd make a great backup to Ennis.

I'm pretty sure Aquille Carr wanted to come here but we didn't offer him.

This kid looks like a hard worker and may have some skills but i don't seem him playing for SU

I'm pretty sure Aquille Carr wanted to come here but we didn't offer him.

This kid looks like a hard worker and may have some skills but i don't seem him playing for SU
Carr also claimed to have had a 6-figure offer from some Italian basketball team, which turned out to be bogus...on top of his other off the court issues.

I think the days of us offering kids under 6ft are over, it just doesn't work with our defensive style. We need kids that are tall and long at the top of the zone.

I think the days of us offering kids under 6ft are over, it just doesn't work with our defensive style. We need kids that are tall and long at the top of the zone.
Right...under six feet...how bout under 6'3 or 6'4...that seems to be the ideal guard height for our guards

oh my bad, sorry that it makes sense. btw-its my thought and opinion...im not making anything up, i said i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt do something like that if this is the scenario. What is wrong with that?
It doesn't make any sense at all. See RF2044's post above. Taking a Juco guard at this juncture is stupid, that's What is wrong with that.

It doesn't make any sense at all. See RF2044's post above. Taking a Juco guard at this juncture is stupid, that's What is wrong with that.

oh my, im so sorry my initial thought/opinion/idea offended you so much... dont get your panties in a bunch homes.

Patterson Commits per P-S.

Good thing everyone overreacted about how we shouldn't recruit two guys and what if we miss on them both blah blah blah...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom