Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

Although I understand why he would declare, I doubt he is going to get drafted. He is going to have to make as an FA.

That's what I was thinking; fa. he's basically a 1 down player

He is certainly a gifted athlete but he makes 2-3 good plays a game and then disappears. He better have a great underwear olympics or he goes undrafted.

Good Luck Sugar Bear.

In a league where there is little guaranteed money - especially for guys drafter below the first round - this is a major mistake with regard to contracts (of course he may hate school or be just hanging on every semester). He is going to be a mid-low round pick. And the money in the NFL drops off the table after the first two or three rounds.

Should have stayed but still owes the coaches who moved him from TE as even as a solid TE he'd be a mid round pick at best as TEs are not coveted and in the SU offense of the past 3 years he would have had 10 catches a year.

IMO he is highly overrated out here - nice player but no where near special or elite. Just another guy as they say.

In a league where there is little guaranteed money - especially for guys drafter below the first round - this is a major mistake with regard to contracts (of course he may hate school or be just hanging on every semester). He is going to be a mid-low round pick. And the money in the NFL drops off the table after the first two or three rounds.

Should have stayed but still owes the coaches who moved him from TE as even as a solid TE he'd be a mid round pick at best as TEs are not coveted and in the SU offense of the past 3 years he would have had 10 catches a year.

IMO he is highly overrated out here - nice player but no where near special or elite. Just another guy as they say.
Exactly...
Can Ron:
Increase his draft stock? No...
Lose a year of earnings/injure himself? Yes...
Good luck Ron...

For the most part DEC Management is not representing the NFL's current/future stars.

But they are representing a large percentage of Cuse players that are trying to make it in the pros - J. Smith, Crume, Lynn, West, etc. Not a strong decision by Thompson.

So we have 1 DE commit coming in and 2 on the roster right?

But they are representing a large percentage of Cuse players that are trying to make it in the pros - J. Smith, Crume, Lynn, West, etc. Not a strong decision by Thompson.
Plus Steve Gregory...

Wish him well. Met him at Rutgers for 7v7 competition. I got both W Morgan and Thompson together that day and told them they need to go to Cuse. They both laughed but they ended up commiting to us. We really need to hit the JUCO trail. If im a DE that is considering SU I would be trying to solidy my visit. They are guaranteed to play at least the first 3 games. Pickard would be a fool to transfer. He is currently a starter. I would be commiting right now if Im Joshua Black, Uche, Connor Miller or Drew Beesley
Money who is Connor Miller? Haven't heard his name? Does he have an offer?

Our de class last year was a great haul - pickard sheppard and easley. Need to get sheppared abd easley back asap

I wish Ron well in the NFL. I never blame a kid for leaving school before their eligibility expires and I am glad it looks he will have his degree but this decision is very poor.

I mean if he was a kid who would get drafted for sure I would be happy. I just hope the kid gets drafted. There is a good chance he won't get drafted and will have to make a team as an UFA. That is hard. I don't care it leaves us thin as Dino Babers has a free pass from me. He will get the players in here I have no doubt. I am more sad that Thompson is leaving without the guarantee of being drafted. I hope he does as he has talent but I wouldn't draft him.

Wish him the best but IMO it's a bad decision. It was a bad decision by Eskridge last year. I get the $$ situation and the immediate need but what they're going to get coming out after their 4th year JR season was going to be there coming out after their 5th year SR season barring some sort of catastrophic injury.

If they've done what they're doing with the resources they've had for 22 years...what's another year? (disclaimer I will throw in is that it's easy for me to say this looking back on my 20's - when you're in you're early 20's, the future is now, so I get it, i just don't think they're being guided well)

So we have 1 DE commit coming in and 2 on the roster right?

Yes, we have both Kenny Carter and Jake Pickard on the roster who both redshirted last year and have not played a down. And the Sheppard and Ealey who are both suspended for the first 3 games.

And currently Jamal Holloway committed who needs a redshirt year worse than Carter and Pickard did. He's light.

Scanning the roster, I don't really see anyone else that could potentially be switched considering the depth at those other positions (DT, TE, LB). the size of the players at those positions and the current recruiting class.

We need bare minimum 2 additional guys capable of being on the 2 deep next year. And I don't think Holloway or the kid previously committed to BG are physically capable of that.

I am sure we will use his scholarship on his replacement. Do we have the LBs on the roster to play a 3-4 for 1 year? Or a 3-3-5?

If the personal requires it?

Maybe an oddball question but ... do these sorts of departures happen at our peer programs? I ask because this departure (like Eskridge's) seems like maybe it would happen regardless of our success on the field - so just curious hearing from folks who are more familiar with rosters of teams like ours.

Cuse'91 said:
Exactly... Can Ron: Increase his draft stock? No... Lose a year of earnings/injure himself? Yes... Good luck Ron...
disagree could be a second round pick comes back and has a first team all acc performance

Wish him the best but IMO it's a bad decision. It was a bad decision by Eskridge last year. I get the $$ situation and the immediate need but what they're going to get coming out after their 4th year JR season was going to be there coming out after their 5th year SR season barring some sort of catastrophic injury.

If they've done what they're doing with the resources they've had for 22 years...what's another year? (disclaimer I will throw in is that it's easy for me to say this looking back on my 20's - when you're in you're early 20's, the future is now, so I get it, i just don't think they're being guided well)
Oh man, I usually agree with a lot of what you post, but I disagree with everything you just wrote.

If that money is there now, they should get it now. Why on earth, especially if you have your degree or are within credits of having it, would you ever put in the work required for college football and risk injury for no payment? That's insane.

If you think you can increase your draft stock, that's one thing, but there's no guarantee of that. If you are what you are you just pissed away a year of earnings. If you get hurt you said goodbye to a career of earnings.

I keep banging this drum, but if the NCAA allowed student-athletes to profit from their name and likeness you might see them stay in school longer. Do you think Sugar Bear would make more money as a practice player for the Jets, or as a mini-local celebrity making paid appearances and doing commercials for Syracuse businesses?

disagree could be a second round pick comes back and has a first team all acc performance
If an NFL team believes he's capable of that and believe that would happen, that makes them more likely to draft him. Especially if they think doing so will make them look smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom