Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

He's higher on boards than the board believes he is. He has a chance to go in the 3rd if he tests well.
He better be because if he falls to the 4th round he is leaving a ton of cash on the board versus coming back and getting into the top three rounds. It would take him multiple years in the NFL to make what he could make in the top two rounds. Myopic view out here - I cannot believe that he is better than 10+ guys at his position across the top programs. Hope I am wrong but this seems like a big financial mistake and in the end - all that really matters is how much cash any of these guys make before they get hurt, old or bounce themselves out of the league. Do you really believe a guy making $1M over his first 3 years with a ring is happier than a guy making $4M and not sniffing the playoffs? Pop Warner dreams and winning fade when millions of dollars are on the line. Ask Todd Philcox how making tens of millions without a chance of winning hurt his life.

He better be because if he falls to the 4th round he is leaving a ton of cash on the board versus coming back and getting into the top three rounds.
If a team believes he's talented enough to be a 1-3 round pick with another year of seasoning, that actually encourages them to draft him.

Oh man, I usually agree with a lot of what you post, but I disagree with everything you just wrote.

If that money is there now, they should get it now. Why on earth, especially if you have your degree or are within credits of having it, would you ever put in the work required for college football and risk injury for no payment? That's insane.

If you think you can increase your draft stock, that's one thing, but there's no guarantee of that. If you are what you are you just pissed away a year of earnings. If you get hurt you said goodbye to a career of earnings.

I keep banging this drum, but if the NCAA allowed student-athletes to profit from their name and likeness you might see them stay in school longer. Do you think Sugar Bear would make more money as a practice player for the Jets, or as a mini-local celebrity making paid appearances and doing commercials for Syracuse businesses?
Very few of these guys are thinking about their degree and working in the real world. Sadly whether they make it or not most leaving short of a degree will not get one.

And as I said in another post, the difference in cash between a first round pick and a fourth round pick is tremendous. Plus a first round flop will get other chances while a fourth round flop will spend his time trying to catch on again.

With another year - maybe RT moves up. With another year - RT almost definitely does not move down unless he complete screws up. He is no better than a third round gamble this year. Could be much better with another year with little risk to move down (and easily insured injury protection to secure what he will get this year).

Bottom line - he is simply not as good as this board thinks that he is.

I hear we're bringing in some 6-3, 215 pound DEs.

We've corned the market on questionable early entries in two sports. :bang:
I like how you phrased that. I think we got pretty corned on those deals ourselves

Very few of these guys are thinking about their degree and working in the real world. Sadly whether they make it or not most leaving short of a degree will not get one.

And as I said in another post, the difference in cash between a first round pick and a fourth round pick is tremendous. Plus a first round flop will get other chances while a fourth round flop will spend his time trying to catch on again.

With another year - maybe RT moves up. With another year - RT almost definitely does not move down unless he complete screws up. He is no better than a third round gamble this year. Could be much better with another year with little risk to move down (and easily insured injury protection to secure what he will get this year).

Bottom line - he is simply not as good as this board thinks that he is.
I think you're wrong. About a lot.

Ron is a high level athlete , close to Freeney.
I really hope RT is drafted and has a great career in the league...but comparing him to Freeney is just silly.

DF was a one of a kind athletic freak that possessed the rare ability to change a game from the DE position. RT is a solid athlete but isn't even in DF's league.

I'm still waiting for Thompson to be a dominant DE in college.
He was the only player on our D that opposing OC's had to worry about. You should know that.

OttoinGrotto said:
I don't trust your opinion.

Same here.

He has no chance of playing in the NFL.

CousCuse said:
He was the only player on our D that opposing OC's had to worry about. You should know that.

But he rarely came up big in big situations.

Show me.

He's too small to be a good DE in the NFL.

The ignorance with some people on this board is astounding. Astounding.

Oh man, I usually agree with a lot of what you post, but I disagree with everything you just wrote.

If that money is there now, they should get it now. Why on earth, especially if you have your degree or are within credits of having it, would you ever put in the work required for college football and risk injury for no payment? That's insane.

If you think you can increase your draft stock, that's one thing, but there's no guarantee of that. If you are what you are you just pissed away a year of earnings. If you get hurt you said goodbye to a career of earnings.

I keep banging this drum, but if the NCAA allowed student-athletes to profit from their name and likeness you might see them stay in school longer. Do you think Sugar Bear would make more money as a practice player for the Jets, or as a mini-local celebrity making paid appearances and doing commercials for Syracuse businesses?

Because I don't think he's getting drafted just like I didn't think Esk would get drafted. It's that simple.

And I think if he has a really solid year next year he will get drafted. And I think we can all agree that the kids that get drafted have a much better opportunity of sticking and making a career of it than the kids that don't because a team has already committed something of value to acquire you.

It's risk vs reward. Most undrafted FA's would be lucky to hang on a practice squad for a year. That is roughly $100k, maybe a little more. After agent fees and taxes, and cost of living, there's not much left. Most undrafted FA's don't even get that.

Last edited:
Ron is a high level athlete , close to Freeney.

Well this isn't true but if it was... he is a high level athlete but Freeney was a high level athlete and a high level football player. Ron is not a high level football player.

Our defense was terrible. You have to prepare for at least one player on defense. And this was true at the start of the season but not so much as the season went on. That's why teams continued to run at him.

I'm still waiting for Thompson to be a dominant DE in college.
For someone who has been not good on run defense for the past 2 years, this is a questionable decision. But I hope he does well, he isn't Dwight Freeney, or Chandler Jones who made plays against the run as well as pass plays.

But he rarely came up big in big situations.

Show me.

He's too small to be a good DE in the NFL.

The ignorance with some people on this board is astounding. Astounding.
He was double and triple teamed all game long. Get a clue.

Yup, I buried you years ago.
mwcpopcorn.gif

Last edited:
Because I don't think he's getting drafted just like I didn't think Esk would get drafted. It's that simple.

And I think if he has a really solid year next year he will get drafted. And I think we can all agree that the kids that get drafted have a much better opportunity of sticking and making a career of it than the kids that don't because a team has already committed something of value to acquire you.
Again, if a team is expecting that another year in college would increase a player's draft stock, that's a great reason to draft that player.

And a lot of UFAs stick in the NFL.

We don't even know what will happen though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom