Rule makers planning to make NCAA men's basketball even more fan-friendly | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rule makers planning to make NCAA men's basketball even more fan-friendly

It's a really simple rule if they do it right. If the player has both feet planted (no leaning in, no sliding in, no falling back in anticipation of contact) - then it's a charge. If the player has begun his shooting motion and the ball is out of his hands, it's not a charge.

CJ Fair driving to the basket at Duke. Charge or block?

Find a way to cut back on the charge/block calls to make them mostly non-calls. If neither player gains an advantage, then why make a call. A block call that results in a basket get not call. A 170 lbs guard who knocks over a 250 lbs player gets no call.

My thoughts on some of these proposals:

I like the revisiting of the 10 second backcourt rule. A team should not get a new 10 seconds after a timeout. You're essentially handicapping good defense.
If they move the shot clock, I'd like it to go to 30 seconds. I think a 24 second clock could make for (even) uglier basketball.
Continuation is about the stupidest rule, and I definitely do not want to see that in college basketball.
No scoring on a charge makes sense to me. I'd be in favor of changing that.
if you remove the no liveball TO then you eliminate almost all the 10 sec TO issues.. while they are at it remove the inbound the ball into the back court exemption.

While I agree with the 30 second shot clock making for a better viewing experience, and the 3 point line to NBA range making for better spacing, do not kill the golden goose.

A big draw to college basketball is David over Goliath. The Davidsons, Butlers and Daytons of the world are able to compete because of the reward of the 3 point shot, and being able to limit the number of possessions. The more possessions you play, the more often the better talent wins out.

Do you keep the casual fan coming back to the NCAA tournament that's mostly chalk?

I'll bring up my favorite again - 1 point to the defense for a shot clock violation.

What might help on the "flagrant foul" reviews, if the refs see that it was a flop by the defender, call a "2-shots and the ball" technical on him. How many times have we seen the defender go down like he was shot and the replay shows he was never touched?

A way to stop the extra TO when someone fouls out is to reduce the time to get the new player in and require all the other players to remain inside the 3-point arc.

I'd also like to see the jump ball come back. The problem with (back in the olden days) was the tie-up usually involved a guard tying up a front court player. So there was always the unfair advantage to the offensive player on the jump when they should be the one penalized. Go back to the jump ball and each team gets to pick which player from their side jumps.