Running back rotation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Running back rotation

what has happened to ptg??? is there some issue that he is not perming up to his potential

If we limit the majority of running plays to three backs then it would be PTG, AAM, and EP. But it's early.

It would be an interesting question to ask again entering the FSU game.

Cheers,
Neil

For all the talk about needing play makers, why are some saying PTG should be touching the ball less? He's had more long TD plays than the rest of the roster combined.

I would not be surprised to see Morris or McFarlane transfer after this year. I think both of these guys see themselves as the featured back and won't be willing to spend their career in a platoon system. I hope I'm wrong.

I would not be surprised to see Morris or McFarlane transfer after this year. I think both of these guys see themselves as the featured back and won't be willing to spend their career in a platoon system. I hope I'm wrong.

Really?...won't they be the main guys next year after Gulley and AAM graduate? Why would they want to transfer and sit out a year?

I think Morris should start. AAM is the short yardage back. Gulley back to the role that he was great in last year 3rd back and in on clear passing plays. I would like to see Philips spell Morris. And McFar do kick returns and be groomed to take over for Gulley next year as the third down back.

That is how I would like to see the running back situation go this year.

I don't think PTG should be a "featured" back the way Carter or Smith were, and he's not being used that way. The coaches have to figure out exactly what the right mix should be and I trust they will.

Really?...won't they be the main guys next year after Gulley and AAM graduate? Why would they want to transfer and sit out a year?

AAM doesn't graduate this year. We also have Fredericks, Perkins and Strickland coming in the 2015 class.

AAM doesn't graduate this year. We also have Fredericks, Perkins and Strickland coming in the 2015 class.

AAM played as a Freshman in 2011, Soph in 2012, and Junior in 2013.

BTW: Perkins tore his ACL a few weeks ago. He will probably redshirt in 2015.

Why the hell isn't McFarlane getting more run? He's one of the most versatile athletes we have on the field. It's almost incredible that we don't see two back sets with the talent we have.

Letting backs like McFarlane and Morris sit and watch while guys like AAM get a lot of run is painful to see. I get it, AAM has improved, but in my opinion he doesn't give us the same chance at success as DMC does.

Why the hell isn't McFarlane getting more run? He's one of the most versatile athletes we have on the field. It's almost incredible that we don't see two back sets with the talent we have.

Letting backs like McFarlane and Morris sit and watch while guys like AAM get a lot of run is painful to see. I get it, AAM has improved, but in my opinion he doesn't give us the same chance at success as DMC does.

After 2 games, AAM has 19 carries for 125 yds, or an average of 6.6 yds/carry

PTG is averaging 6.3 yds/carry
Erv is 6.1
DMF is 3.4
GMII is 1.2.

After 2 games, AAM has 19 carries for 125 yds, or an average of 6.6 yds/carry

PTG is averaging 6.3 yds/carry
Erv is 6.1
DMF is 3.4
GMII is 1.2.

DMF is a multi threat, and those rush stats are misleading as AAM has gotten nearly 4x more touches.

My bad...for some reason I thought this was AAM last year. However, the other guys are freshman and will need to prove themselves first before any talk of them taking over as freshman.

AAM played as a Freshman in 2011, Soph in 2012, and Junior in 2013.

BTW: Perkins tore his ACL a few weeks ago. He will probably redshirt in 2015.
With Perkins being a RS Frosh in 2016, Strickland a (probably) true sophomore, GMII and DMC Seniors, Erv a True Junior. Woah.

I would like to see AAM first back out and use that power and speed combo with him and Erv. Then Devante and GM2 the fresh legs. I am not a fan of gulley quiet honestly after CMU game. Evertime Erv had the ball I felt like he could take it to the house. I wanna see more Erv less PTG.

Use em all. PTG is the most reliable and experienced. Morris is likely the most talented. Moore is the biggest and am happy he is getting some PT in his last season. Phillips is shiny and new and fast. McFarlane may be the odd man out this ear but he's a soph and is line for a major role next year. No doubt Morris has been disappointing but they need to feed him the ball. I don't think any of us know what the rotation will be like from here on out. My guess is PTG and Morris split carries as the "feature back." Moore is the short yardage hammer though this concerns me because every time he is in the defense knows what is coming. Didn't he get like 4 or 5 carries on the goal line in the 4th quarter against Nova and get stuffed each time (Hunt's keeping that ball now and punching it in). I think we see Phillips get a few touches unless he breaks some returns. McFarlane will get some time, not sure how many carries. Important note on Phillips potential for PT. This team is still looking for play makers. Guys that can make something happen. He's shown a spark that others have not this season.

My bad...for some reason I thought this was AAM last year. However, the other guys are freshman and will need to prove themselves first before any talk of them taking over as freshman.

freshman like Erv Phillips this year.

what has happened to ptg??? is there some issue that he is not perming up to his potential
Nothing's happened to him; hes' just been recruited over. The way I look at it -- there's nothing he can do that the others can't, but the others can do things he can't. For instance, no one on the roster can replicate what Philips or Ameen-Moore or do. Philips can hit holes the others can't and Ameen-Moore can drag defenders.

Don't want to come off to critical but Gulley is just another guy in my opinion. Good secondary runner, but not your lead horse. I would agree with anglerman, and I too believe he is the least talented RB on the depth chart. Doesn't mean he is a bad player, I just believe the other players bring more to the table then he does.

Nothing's happened to him; hes' just been recruited over. The way I look at it -- there's nothing he can do that the others can't, but the others can do things he can't. For instance, no one on the roster can replicate what Philips or Ameen-Moore or do. Philips can hit holes the others can't and Ameen-Moore can drag defenders.

Until I see other backs doing this......

Or the 55yd'er vs UL
Or the 63yd'er vs Nova

Then I want PTG to be the lead back. He has breakaway ability that we haven't seen since #39. As good as Carter, Smith, etc were, they couldn't take it to the house, they always got caught down inside the 20. I don't care if he goes East and West sometimes, so did Barry Sanders(no I don't think PTG is Barry). PTG is a game changer.

Last edited:
Not really on topic, but anyone else get frustrated to see AAM in on third downs? He's the least effective RB on the team on swing/banana routes out of the backfield. And having a scat back like Philips/Gulley in would help Hunt to have another option that could convert a 3rd and medium.

It wasn't the greatest throw by Hunt on the one swing pass to AAM that I recall, but his attempt at catching the ball was almost as bad.

DMF is a multi threat, and those rush stats are misleading as AAM has gotten nearly 4x more touches.
It's an average so number of touches is not terribly relevant if you have more than a couple carries. DMF has not proven to be that great a multiple threat yet, not saying he can not just no proof of it to this point.

Not really on topic, but anyone else get frustrated to see AAM in on third downs? He's the least effective RB on the team on swing/banana routes out of the backfield. And having a scat back like Philips/Gulley in would help Hunt to have another option that could convert a 3rd and medium.

It wasn't the greatest throw by Hunt on the one swing pass to AAM that I recall, but his attempt at catching the ball was almost as bad.
The pass was not even close thrown way behind him it would have taken a miracle catch by AAM, sorry but that was all on Hunt throwing a lousy pass.

The pass was not even close thrown way behind him it would have taken a miracle catch by AAM, sorry but that was all on Hunt throwing a lousy pass.

Agreed - but he's not the best option there on 3rd down.

Why are people saying there is nothing PTG brings to the table that the others can't do?

1. He is the only PROVEN homerun threat we have at RB. Erv may feel like a threat, but he hasn't done it yet.

2. Few RBs in SU history were as good as him catching the ball out of the backfield.

3. No one on the five deep at RB pass blocks even remotely close to him.

PTG is not as good as Morris, DMC, and Erv will be, but he is the most complete back that we have. In fact, he is the only one that we have. DMF is next closest thing with Morris as the best pure runner. Erv is bright and shiny, but youth means turnovers and missed assignments. We need to protect Hunt and no turn the ball over. We can win 8 with that formula.

How quickly this fanbase forgets the horse we rode in on for the new shiny one that we really know nothing about yet. That has had about 10 carries so far in his career.

Gulley has been a very reliable, productive and game-breaking RB for us for 5 years. With a skill set that can run, catch and more importantly BLOCK.

Most backs that can't block never see the field. I would love to see Erv come in to block a 250lb DE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom