Running back rotation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Running back rotation

Yeah, the weakness of the offense is Gully. His carries are what's holding the offense back from greatness.

:bang:
I never said he's the weakness of the offense but I've never thought he was great back by any means He has great straight line speed but other than that his game is weak.

Why are people saying there is nothing PTG brings to the table that the others can't do?

1. He is the only PROVEN homerun threat we have at RB. Erv may feel like a threat, but he hasn't done it yet.

2. Few RBs in SU history were as good as him catching the ball out of the backfield.

3. No one on the five deep at RB pass blocks even remotely close to him.

PTG is not as good as Morris, DMC, and Erv will be, but he is the most complete back that we have. In fact, he is the only one that we have. DMF is next closest thing with Morris as the best pure runner. Erv is bright and shiny, but youth means turnovers and missed assignments. We need to protect Hunt and no turn the ball over. We can win 8 with that formula.

He's a freaking 5th year senior. He's been in the program and has played in a lot of games. He KNOWS things and has DONE things the others haven't, and that counts.

Some of the people on this thread are nuts.

Do you find a way to get talent on the field, absolutely. But there's something to be said for age, guile, and five years in the S&C program over a 10 games season against the ACC and ND and UMD.

We are going to need everyone, a lot of games in a row and spreading carries is going to keep guys fresh and available down the stretch.

GoSU96 said:
He's a freaking 5th year senior. He's been in the program and has played in a lot of games. He KNOWS things and has DONE things the others haven't, and that counts. Some of the people on this thread are nuts. Do you find a way to get talent on the field, absolutely. But there's something to be said for age, guile, and five years in the S&C program over a 10 games season against the ACC and ND and UMD. We are going to need everyone, a lot of games in a row and spreading carries is going to keep guys fresh and available down the stretch.

5th year senior is the least popular class on the board.

How quickly this fanbase forgets the horse we rode in on for the new shiny one that we really know nothing about yet. That has had about 10 carries so far in his career.

Gulley has been a very reliable, productive and game-breaking RB for us for 5 years. With a skill set that can run, catch and more importantly BLOCK.

Most backs that can't block never see the field. I would love to see Erv come in to block a 250lb DE.

This isn't directed at you, but i'm getting sick of hearing how these wr's can't get on the field because they can't block, or how Erv can't get carries because he can't block. Personally i'd much rather have wide receivers who can get open consistently, and running backs who can bust explosive plays, then a receiver who can block for the bubble screen, and a running back who can pick up the blitz. Our offense is in desperate need of playmakers, not more blockers. If Erv gives us the home run ability he should play. Same for all the receivers. Playmakers are what separate mediocre teams from great teams.

anomander said:
This isn't directed at you, but i'm getting sick of hearing how these wr's can't get on the field because they can't block, or how Erv can't get carries because he can't block. Personally i'd much rather have wide receivers who can get open consistently, and running backs who can bust explosive plays, then a receiver who can block for the bubble screen, and a running back who can pick up the blitz. Our offense is in desperate need of playmakers, not more blockers. If Erv gives us the home run ability he should play. Same for all the receivers. Playmakers are what separate mediocre teams from great teams.

Honestly? You need both. Good blocking and playmakers... It's not an either or. See: Any Eagles game.

Honestly? You need both. Good blocking and playmakers... It's not an either or. See: Any Eagles game.

I'll take the playmaker all day. It's not like 1 is that much better then the other.

No - I'm serious - why don't we run two back sets? Wouldn't we at least noticeably increase the number of playmakers on the field?

Toga said:
No - I'm serious - why don't we run two back sets? Wouldn't we at least noticeably increase the number of playmakers on the field?
Only one ball. We don't need three runners next to each other

In a perfect world we would have Joe Morris as the HB and Darryl Johnston as the FB every season. This ain't a perfect world.

I agree that Gulley does some things very well...some ok and struggles in other areas. I'm always rooting for him to succeed and there is no doubt he'll put his nose into a defensive player and not blow assignments. As a coach you have a lot of things to evaluate and depending on the play called and situation you have to try to have the right players in at the right time for the best possible success for that play.

Oh and Opus...I want Nance or Csonka at fullback if it's a running play and Moose if the fullback has to block. ;)

A WR or RB that can't block is just like having a basketball player that can't or won't play defense. They are just as much a liability as they are an asset.

Having a wideout in front of you that can't block on a bubble screen for example is a nightmare. Just like a lead blocker that can't block can get you killed.

yea he should play, just never on passing downs unless we want Hunt to get killed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom