Ryan Norton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Norton

Scooch said:
We shouldn't be trying < 30 yard FGs anyway.
I'd prefer the 6 every time. That said missing XPs like the kickers have the last 3-4 years is unbearable. I understand blocks, but to shank anything that close should result in a kicker losing a nut.

I'd prefer the 6 every time. That said missing XPs like the kickers have the last 3-4 years is unbearable. I understand blocks, but to shank anything that close should result in a kicker losing a nut.

Oh agreed, missing an XP should be punishable by some kind of Game of Thrones-style torture.

I just hate "chip shot" FGs. There's gobs of evidence that suggests going for 6 (or a first down) is almost always the best call when the O is that close. Sadly most HCs are terrified of math.

It isn't always the kickers fault on those misses as the snap and hold have to be there as well along with timing.

As for the math Scooch, I'd have to assume the quality of the kicker/special teams vs the quality of the offense may play a big part in that decision/numbers.

Was one missed or did Donald just knock a lineman on his ass and go straight through?
I went back and watched the highlight, and Donald just knocked Omari Palmer on his arse. Regardless, my point is that this "missed" XP wasn't Norton's fault.

He was taught that play by Frank Maloney

Did Coach Mac call for a lot of quick kicks, or at least did he do it more often than most coaches?

Did Coach Mac call for a lot of quick kicks, or at least did he do it more often than most coaches?
I remember Daryl Johnston quick-kicking a few times, but I don't think Mac did it a lot. Could be wrong on that, though.

SmilinBob said:
It isn't always the kickers fault on those misses as the snap and hold have to be there as well along with timing. As for the math Scooch, I'd have to assume the quality of the kicker/special teams vs the quality of the offense may play a big part in that decision/numbers.

If your offense is 2005 SU-level incompetent then sure. But assuming a team has a vaguely average offense it's better to go for it. Probabilities and all.

I went back and watched the highlight, and Donald just knocked Omari Palmer on his arse. Regardless, my point is that this "missed" XP wasn't Norton's fault.
Blocks don't bother me.. Kicks like the kick to tie the Toledo game do.

If your offense is 2005 SU-level incompetent then sure. But assuming a team has a vaguely average offense it's better to go for it. Probabilities and all.

Plus math is for losers!

I got a ban for my criticism of our kicking game the last couple of years... But suffice it to say I would not be upset if Norton was no longer on the squad and freed up a schollie

I remember Daryl Johnston quick-kicking a few times, but I don't think Mac did it a lot. Could be wrong on that, though.

the quick kicks of all quick kicks was Robinson's decision to quick kick on his very first possession as head coach. i think that set the tone for his brutal 4 year rule of terror.

the quick kicks of all quick kicks was Robinson's decision to quick kick on his very first possession as head coach. i think that set the tone for his brutal 4 year rule of terror.
I think Greg thought we were under canadian rules

kcsu said:
I think Greg thought we were under canadian rules
Anyone with any knowledge of SU football knows Mac quick kick more than anyone. The 70+ yarder vs PSU, the 9 yarder vs OSU and 2 of them in the Sugar Bowl. Plus several more.

Last edited:
With kickoffs now from the 35, SU tries more to pin the returner.

There's more a penalty now too as the ball is brought out to the 25 instead of 20.

Wasn't the tee moved up to facilitate more touchbacks and prevent the big concussion-causing collisions on kickoffs?
Now they're making changes to prevent teams from trying to kick touchbacks?

BlazeOrange said:
Wasn't the tee moved up to facilitate more touchbacks and prevent the big concussion-causing collisions on kickoffs? Now they're making changes to prevent teams from trying to kick touchbacks?

Yep. But with the ball coming to the 25, teams now try to pin the returner since the return team is also 5 yards closer. The 2 rule changes seem counter to each other.

According to this site, Daryl punted 8 times for Syracuse. I am sure all were quick kicks.

Others occasionally did as well, more early in the Coach Mac era than late (the offense was bad early, got a lot better as time progressed).

Anyway, I would say yes, Coach Mac quick kicked quite a bit. Though it really depends on what you consider often to mean when discussing quick kicks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom