Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

Full_Rebar said:
People need to understand that the NCAA is dealing with thousands of athletes to clear. The ones that are often at the last minute are going to require longer to look at, as opposed to the kid who meets the standards in the Fall of their Senior Year. If Blair is into an appeal process, don't you want the NCAA taking the time to review the documents being presented on his side?

I've been involved in the past with a kid struggling to meet initial eligibility and I've known coaches during my coaching days in the same situation. It's not always about the SAT/ACT score or the GPA and the sliding scale. Sometimes it's about the 16 core courses required. An example is Math. You need 3 math credits. They have to be college prep type courses and be courses such as Algebra or better. Some players will want to use a course like personal finances or similar. The NCAA doesn't allow that and will sometimes ask about a specific course and even a syllabus (this goes back a ways). There is time involved in this back and forth with so many kids needing to be cleared.

Best thing a kid and his family can do is get the NCAAs college bound handbook and understand it and follow it.

I've been involved in the past with a kid struggling to meet initial eligibility and I've known coaches during my coaching days in the same situation. It's not always about the SAT/ACT score or the GPA and the sliding scale. Sometimes it's about the 16 core courses required. An example is Math. You need 3 math credits. They have to be college prep type courses and be courses such as Algebra or better. Some players will want to use a course like personal finances or similar. The NCAA doesn't allow that and will sometimes ask about a specific course and even a syllabus (this goes back a ways). There is time involved in this back and forth with so many kids needing to be cleared.

Best thing a kid and his family can do is get the NCAAs college bound handbook and understand it and follow it.

Or the HS coach or the school thinks the course they are offering meets the NCAA requirement and then unfortunately they find out it doesn't.

CuseLegacy said:
Or the HS coach or the school thinks the course they are offering meets the NCAA requirement and then unfortunately they find out it doesn't.

Yep, that too. I always felt that a family shouldn't count on someone else to know what is going on. But I also understand every student athlete is different and not all of them have the same kind of family support and need to rely on others at school. It's a shame not every school, coach, guidance counselor etc doesn't have a full grasp of the requirements. Also, not every D1 athlete when they are in 9th or 10th grade knows they will become a D1 athlete. Then there's a lot of scrambling those last 2 years.

Hopefully he will only have to prep and take one course rather than 2 years of Juco.

Yep, that too. I always felt that a family shouldn't count on someone else to know what is going on. But I also understand every student athlete is different and not all of them have the same kind of family support and need to rely on others at school. It's a shame not every school, coach, guidance counselor etc doesn't have a full grasp of the requirements. Also, not every D1 athlete when they are in 9th or 10th grade knows they will become a D1 athlete. Then there's a lot of scrambling those last 2 years.
This is what happened to shy. 2 weeks before school started the staff called the school to talk schedule. They found SHY had classes that the ncaa considered duplicate of previous years. You need 4 years of math and 4 years of english. But each year must not repeat the former. So in SHY's case a class he was taking his senior year was the same ( or the NCAA considered it the same) as one he had passed sophmore year. Also shy was forced to take 2 english senior year because he failed freshman year so he had to take the same type ofclass as freshman year over plus a new senior year one. Also in SHYs case he had failed science sophmore year but had taken summer school. The NCAA wouldnt recognize his summer class because in mass summer school is pass fail ncaa requires a grade assigned to be reflected on the gpa. The guidance counselours new what mass required but had never delt with a division one player trying to make eligibilty. To her credit she worked her ass off with the staff to learn it change his schedule and get him where he needed to be. The eligibilty for the ncaa isnt easy to understand but they need guidlines to prevent PRIME TIME academy from just taking kids to their school and passing them thru bogus course IE North Carolina

This is what happened to shy. 2 weeks before school started the staff called the school to talk schedule. They found SHY had classes that the ncaa considered duplicate of previous years. You need 4 years of math and 4 years of english. But each year must not repeat the former. So in SHY's case a class he was taking his senior year was the same ( or the NCAA considered it the same) as one he had passed sophmore year. Also shy was forced to take 2 english senior year because he failed freshman year so he had to take the same type ofclass as freshman year over plus a new senior year one. Also in SHYs case he had failed science sophmore year but had taken summer school. The NCAA wouldnt recognize his summer class because in mass summer school is pass fail ncaa requires a grade assigned to be reflected on the gpa. The guidance counselours new what mass required but had never delt with a division one player trying to make eligibilty. To her credit she worked her ass off with the staff to learn it change his schedule and get him where he needed to be. The eligibilty for the ncaa isnt easy to understand but they need guidlines to prevent PRIME TIME academy from just taking kids to their school and passing them thru bogus course IE North Carolina
That's fantastic insight. Thank you.

Bambrewer said:

Excellent real life example.

So if this all hinges on one class, what are his options if that class is deemed as not sufficient for the NCAA? Does he have to prep for a year, or can he prep for a semester to finish up the requirements? Are there any other options for him short of prepping?

So if this all hinges on one class, what are his options if that class is deemed as not sufficient for the NCAA? Does he have to prep for a year, or can he prep for a semester to finish up the requirements? Are there any other options for him short of prepping?
if they can not convince the NCAA that he has made all requirements and it is just 1 class in question he can prep for 1 semester and provided he passes prep he can join in January by NCAA requirments. If the ncaa says more than 1 class is an issue he has to go JUCO from what I understand.

I'm dead serious. Are we seriously sitting here thinking that Urban Meyer had Marquise Blair in his backyard for 4 years and didn't think he was good enough to offer him a scholarship, and then suddenly after ONE All-Star game, he's going to be beating down the door?

That's fine, I'm not buying into the Urban Myer thing either cause that ridiculous. What I was eluding to was "suddenly after one all star game"
comment, because that's exactly what happened with Bromly. In our back yard for four years and then after one all star game we offer. All I'm saying is these things do happen.

Sorry, but in today's world, Personal Finance should not only be allowed, but required. Stupid that something that will be with you and benefit you for life is not required reading.

texascpa said:
Sorry, but in today's world, Personal Finance should not only be allowed, but required. Stupid that something that will be with you and benefit you for life is not required reading.

Both my kids were required to take it....by me. But I don't think it flies as college prep to the NCAA.

Funny you say that but i was talking to Shy and im not sure if all the athletes have this class but shy was giving me details on his class where they teach them how to manage money. Said the first thing they told them is most pros/ entertainers that dont get out of first contracts go broke and they are teaching them how to avoid that

Funny you say that but i was talking to Shy and im not sure if all the athletes have this class but shy was giving me details on his class where they teach them how to manage money. Said the first thing they told them is most pros/ entertainers that dont get out of first contracts go broke and they are teaching them how to avoid that
Hopefully Antoine Walker is not teaching that class.

I can not like a post more than I like this post! Truer words have never been spoken. The most fundamental flaw in our society is not teaching every person how to manage their personal finances. Maybe if they did, they would only elect people who made our government do the same thing!

Who's responsibility is it then? Can't see it being the NCAA's.

If the kid and his school have done things honestly and he has worked hard then that is all you can ask. It's the NCAAs responsibility to get off their asses and decide the fate of the kid in a timely manner

Longer this goes, worse i'm starting to feel about this. Damn NCAA. I really think they have it out for us. First taking Raymon's year, now this.

anomander said:
Longer this goes, worse i'm starting to feel about this. Damn NCAA. I really think they have it out for us. First taking Raymon's year, now this.

I don't think the NCAA has it out for us. Maybe you haven't read the whole thread.

Both my kids were required to take it...by me. But I don't think it flies as college prep to the NCAA.

It's starting to become a graduation requirement in various states. But in my school, it's a grad requirement but doesn't count as a math class (towards math eligibility credit wise) I'm going to assume this is the issue the NCAA has. That the class would count towards HS graduation and the number of "elective courses" a student needs. But it isn't "math heavy" enough to count as a math class.

It's starting to become a graduation requirement in various states. But in my school, it's a grad requirement but doesn't count as a math class (towards math eligibility credit wise) I'm going to assume this is the issue the NCAA has. That the class would count towards HS graduation and the number of "elective courses" a student needs. But it isn't "math heavy" enough to count as a math class.
NCAA shouldn't be involved in dictating education requirements.