Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

If the NCAA isn't going to allow him to enroll at SU, when does he need to know in order to go JUCO or prep?

Has anyone been unable to enroll in an alternative school for the fall semester because the clowns took too long to decide an admissions isssue?
There's several ways this can go.

Someone on the board previously mentioned that a player can prep if he needs a better SAT score or a passing grade in one class.

The JUCO route is for those who have more work to do than that.

I don't know the particulars behind it, but this could also be a case like Eskridge, who had to redshirt a year in order to prove that he could handle the demands of college academics before he could step on the field.

There's several ways this can go.

Someone on the board previously mentioned that a player can prep if he needs a better SAT score or a passing grade in one class.

The JUCO route is for those who have more work to do than that.

I don't know the particulars behind it, but this could also be a case like Eskridge, who had to redshirt a year in order to prove that he could handle the demands of college academics before he could step on the field.
What I'm thinking is that the NCAA won't rule until mid-September, when it's too late for him to enroll anywhere else, regardless of what kind of place he needs to attend.

What I'm thinking is that the NCAA won't rule until mid-September, when it's too late for him to enroll anywhere else, regardless of what kind of place he needs to attend.

From my understanding, the student might not have an answer on athletic eligibility by mid-August (pending appeals), but they would know if they are eligible to receive athletic aid. I think this is similar to Eskridge and maybe even Chino?

It's not a good sign if Blair has to go JUCO because you are talking two years before he gets to SU.

It may well be a real clearinghouse issue that needs resolution, but it may also just be one of the secret sanctions against the football program. The NCAA is by definition an arbitrary organization with political and personal elements to every decision. This is really the worst sanction as it's part of our double-secret probation.
1. Pick an impact player with issues on a football team you want to f with.
B. Delay resolution of the situation to torment the coaching staff apparently in need of sanction.
III. Arbitrarily state a resolution and repeat for basketball program.​

Yes, any clarification would be helpful...anyone?

I don't think anyone knows at this point, and that includes the staff, and Blair. It's all in the NCAA's hands now. Obviously the longer it goes the worse the chances, just because if it's something positive we will hear about it.

This shows you how much concern they have for student athletes. 0. This organization needs disbanding now. College presidents who think this institution does a fine job need to be fired now.

It may well be a real clearinghouse issue that needs resolution, but it may also just be one of the secret sanctions against the football program. The NCAA is by definition an arbitrary organization with political and personal elements to every decision. This is really the worst sanction as it's part of our double-secret probation.
1. Pick an impact player with issues on a football team you want to f with.
B. Delay resolution of the situation to torment the coaching staff apparently in need of sanction.
III. Arbitrarily state a resolution and repeat for basketball program.​
Sad if true.

Recruits with Division I & I-AA offers should be assigned a serial number for academic clearinghouse issues before they sign LOI's, and the board that reviews this should have no knowledge of the recruit name, high school name or school planning to attend. The board should only have data regarding the student, the high school and state the high school is located in.

The clearinghouse should do a first review of all recruits in the November before they enroll give each a list of requirements to clear so they know what to complete in the spring semester. The report should be updated by the end of February based on results of the fall semester.

If additional investigation of courses taken prior to January is needed then that should be done asap by the NCAA at the high school, with all the players papers and grades anonomized with the same serial number. Any investigation into courses or exams taken before January must be completed prior to the end of the high school academic year or the player is automatically cleared of anything Pre-January. I'm sure they do some of the above to get ahead now but doing all of this would eliminate a huge number of cases that they need to review in the summer because they would be ahead of the curve and very little rumor of what you noted above would be possible.

Also, High schools participating in any academic impropriety should be reported publicly and included on the HS data sheet the board is given on future recruits as a past violation. That way future students, board reviewers and coaches know schools where risks lie and schools will be less likely to do it given the possible public perception punishment that would hurt their programs.

Sad if true.

Recruits with Division I & I-AA offers should be assigned a serial number for academic clearinghouse issues before they sign LOI's, and the board that reviews this should have no knowledge of the recruit name, high school name or school planning to attend. The board should only have data regarding the student, the high school and state the high school is located in.

The clearinghouse should do a first review of all recruits in the November before they enroll give each a list of requirements to clear so they know what to complete in the spring semester. The report should be updated by the end of February based on results of the fall semester.

If additional investigation of courses taken prior to January is needed then that should be done asap by the NCAA at the high school, with all the players papers and grades anonomized with the same serial number. Any investigation into courses or exams taken before January must be completed prior to the end of the high school academic year or the player is automatically cleared of anything Pre-January. I'm sure they do some of the above to get ahead now but doing all of this would eliminate a huge number of cases that they need to review in the summer because they would be ahead of the curve and very little rumor of what you noted above would be possible.

Also, High schools participating in any academic impropriety should be reported publicly and included on the HS data sheet the board is given on future recruits as a past violation. That way future students, board reviewers and coaches know schools where risks lie and schools will be less likely to do it given the possible public perception punishment that would hurt their programs.
I'd like to hope not as well, however I worked for a long time in a large organization where decisions were made arbitrarily based upon personalities and politics, i.e. the federal government, and have a similar amount of trust in the workings of the NCAA. I hope Mr. Coyle can help improve relationships a tad.

Sad if true.

I like this idea. You've got my vote for being in charge of the process overhaul.

Sad if true.

Good idea, but I wonder if it is possible in theory. The investigation process might involve checking with enough actual persons to make it possible to deduce the student in question. I doubt that it truly is a black box from the investigator's perspective. I'll be he has to peek inside the box. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't actually know what the NCAA does in these situations. :rolleyes:

The focking NCAA is approaching $1 Billion in revenue - football pays the bills. This should not happen. They should have enough staff to blow through this kind of issue in less than two weeks.

Wait a minute. Why does this guy know dick about dick? Twitter is for idiots.

He is speculating no more no less. Only the NCAA knows and they may not have even looked at the kid's file yet

These morons at the NCAA are worse than the "VA" Can't get any slower...a life is in the balance. Shows you how much the NCAA really cares.

javadoc said:
Good idea, but I wonder if it is possible in theory. The investigation process might involve checking with enough actual persons to make it possible to deduce the student in question. I doubt that it truly is a black box from the investigator's perspective. I'll be he has to peek inside the box. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't actually know what the NCAA does in these situations. :rolleyes:

Thanks, yeah you're proabably right that it cant be perfect in all cases but it would definately eliminate the appearance of much of the arbitrary punitive nature because its school X or school Y because they could only initiate the initial investigation based on data not based on politics.

The focking NCAA is approaching $1 Billion in revenue - football pays the bills. This should not happen. They should have enough staff to blow through this kind of issue in less than two weeks.
Actually, D-I basketball pays the bills.

D-I football is the only sport/classification where the NCAA doesn't run the post season.

Stay positive, we dont know anything yet.

Blair goes to prep reopens his recruitment. enter Suburban Meyer, Blair signs with Ohio State. Sick feeling in my gut. Or....who knows. Check all email traffic between Ohio State and NCAA. The fix may be in. Yes I know how all this bull s#%t works.

Blair goes to prep reopens his recruitment. enter Suburban Meyer, Blair signs with Ohio State. Sick feeling in my gut. Or...who knows. Check all email traffic between Ohio State and NCAA. The fix may be in. Yes I know how all this bull s#%t works.
OSU is recruiting above Blair. They're loaded right now

Blair goes to prep reopens his recruitment. enter Suburban Meyer, Blair signs with Ohio State. Sick feeling in my gut. Or...who knows. Check all email traffic between Ohio State and NCAA. The fix may be in. Yes I know how all this bull s#%t works.
If Meyer wanted him, he could have just offered him .