Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

This really shows how much the NCAA is "for" student-athletes...this kid busted his @ss did everything he could to make up for earlier academic struggles and then the NCAA 1.Won't allow him to play and 2. Dragged it out so it is going to be even harder on the kid to find a suitable place for next season...

Cmon NCAA, even you guys are better than this $#!!

Absolutely ridiculous. He graduated. who the hell is the ncaa to decide what classes count and do not count? Clearly he passed his necessary academics to satisfy ohio's standards.

If a kid is ineligible, he's ineligible. Fine, whatever, I don't have as big a problem with that.

But don't take TWO FREAKING MONTHS to review his transcripts when his future hangs in the balance. Use some goddamn urgency, because while it's fine for you to go screw around and take your coffee breaks, a young man's future is on the line. Now, you've left him scrambling to find a place to actually go try to make it over this new hurdle you've placed in front of him. Chances are he'll find a landing spot soon enough, but the fact that he's forced to scramble at all is a testament to how LITTLE the NCAA actually cares about the well being of the student-athlete.

If a kid is ineligible, he's ineligible. Fine, whatever, I don't have as big a problem with that.

But don't take TWO FREAKING MONTHS to review his transcripts when his future hangs in the balance. Use some goddamn urgency, because while it's fine for you to go screw around and take your coffee breaks, a young man's future is on the line. Now, you've left him scrambling to find a place to actually go try to make it over this new hurdle you've placed in front of him. Chances are he'll find a landing spot soon enough, but the fact that he's forced to scramble at all is a testament to how LITTLE the NCAA actually cares about the well being of the student-athlete.
And 5 credits, what does that mean? How come he can't go to a prep school to obtain 5 credits? Is that alot?

I hope the 'Cuse staff is helping any way they can to help him find a school on this short notice!

And 5 credits, what does that mean? How come he can't go to a prep school to obtain 5 credits? Is that alot?
You are only allowed to make up 1 class in prep school.

Prep school will only allow you to improve the grade in one course.

If you need improvement in two or more grades, JUCO is your only option.

I think that means he's 5 classes short. Which means the NCAA only accepted 11 of the 16 classes he needed to be eligible.

From what I understand, you can ply prep if you are one class or a test score away from eligibility. Any more than that, you have to JUCO. 5 credits, I'm not sure if that's college credits or HS. If college a class is usually 3 credits, in HS, one year long class is one credit. I would assume it's HS credits, which would mean the NCAA had issue with 5 classes that Blair took in HS. That's basically an entire year of coursework . So that would mean he wasn't even close to eligibility.

Absolutely ridiculous. He graduated. who the hell is the ncaa to decide what classes count and do not count? Clearly he passed his necessary academics to satisfy ohio's standards.
Apparently it Is in their wheelhouse.

Check Bam's post earlier in this thread. Could have been classes that the NCAA deemed as repeats. There's also a lot of language in the guide about taking classes after your seventh semester that could have been a sticking point.

US News rated Wooster HS as a "Best High Schools" silver medal school for its academics this past year, with a "college readiness index" of 24.6 (the national median is 19.42).

But sure, NCAA, they probably have no idea what they're doing when it comes to coursework and eligibility.

the question is will he play in Juco? if he plays one year he would have 3 to play 3.. also dont understand the whole prep one course thing.. if a kid has good grades he can prep just to get a better scholie and have 5 to play 5. if he has bad grades he cant prep for more than 1 course.

This just sucks -- lousy outcome, for the kid and SU.

I suppose it is possible that he took "repeat" courses that the NCAA determined didn't fulfill minimum core requirements. But to say that FIVE courses didn't count--that seems awfully high, given that the coach / guidance counselors approached this highly strategically.

Like I said above, lousy outcome. We could have used Blair this season...