Saint Dougie... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

I didn't say that at all.

I gave them credit for winning in a way that bucks the odds. How often do NFL teams win games in which they throw for under 100 yards?
Yeah... you were giving them credit.

I didn't say that at all.

I gave them credit for winning in a way that bucks the odds. How often do NFL teams win games in which they throw for under 100 yards?
Probably about as often as future HOF quarterbacks throwing five interceptions, including two pick-6's.

As good as the Jaguars pass defense has been, is that sustainable? Likely not.

The Marrone Corps are an interesting bunch, that's for sure.

The side of the ball that St. Doug has nothing to do with is killing it for JAX.

almost every team he coaches has a good defense, probably not a coincidence

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I don't know if he's overly involved, or just really good at picking people with systems that he struggled again. Or both.

I love how Doug is responsible for their offense, which stinks, but has nothing to do with their D which is good. He is the head coach, buck stops with him better or for worse, fair or not. People hate Doug, I get it, but guess what: he is the only coach to win here since Freeney left, 16 freaking years. After the last few years of P, after 4 years of GROB hell and 3 years of Shafer hell, get over the "dream job" crap.

[QUOTE="The Marrone Corps are an interesting bunch, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Interesting indeed. The Jags seem to have a total split personality, taking down good teams on the road and at neutral sites, then losing to crap teams at home. Who knows?

Had the Jets beat a few times.

The offense should have scored in OT.

That loss hurt.

I love how Doug is responsible for their offense, which stinks, but has nothing to do with their D which is good. He is the head coach, buck stops with him better or for worse, fair or not. People hate Doug, I get it, but guess what: he is the only coach to win here since Freeney left, 16 freaking years. After the last few years of P, after 4 years of GROB hell and 3 years of Shafer hell, get over the "dream job" crap.
I'm sure you consider Brian Billick a defensive mastermind.

I'm sure you consider Brian Billick a defensive mastermind.

I listen to him on ESPN and frankly try not to consider him at all. He obviously had a defensive background, just like Doug has an offensive background, but the guy won a Super Bowl, so I consider him a Super Bowl winning head coach. One who had insane talent on that side of the ball, of course. Doug has taken three horrific teams and all have improved a good deal in a short time. Will he stick it out with the Jags to see how much he can improve them? that is the big question.

Can you imagine Saint Dougie in that market? I would seriously fear for his physical health.

yep, the man is too thin skinned and sensitive for that market, particularly the Giants, who garner the bulk of NY media attention

Doug Marrone,

Only 8 win seasons (2) since 2001 at SU. Took over a program that went 10-37 the four years prior.

Bills,

Only winning season since 2004.

Jags,

First season as head coach, 3 wins by game 5, first time since 2010. Took 15 games in 2016, 9 games in 2015, 15 games in 2014, 12 games in 2013, didn't win 3 games in 2012, 9 games in 2011. Jags are currently 5th in pts per game on offense and 2nd for points allowed on defense. Last year they were 23rd and 25th respectively.

The guy has taken three bottom feeding non competitive teams and turned them around quickly. Yep, the guy sucks.

Can you imagine Saint Dougie in that market? I would seriously fear for his physical health.

I understand your observation.

No doubt he is a bit thin-skinned.

But he's smart and he learns from experience.

I suspect he's grown up a lot since 2012.

I would like to think that he could handle NYC. But, many before him have been unable to do so.

Doug Marrone,

Only 8 win seasons (2) since 2001 at SU. Took over a program that went 10-37 the four years prior.

Bills,

Jags,

First season as head coach, 3 wins by game 5, first time since 2010. Took 15 games in 2016, 9 games in 2015, 15 games in 2014, 12 games in 2013, didn't win 3 games in 2012, 9 games in 2011. Jags are currently 5th in pts per game on offense and 2nd for points allowed on defense. Last year they were 23rd and 25th respectively.

The guy has taken three bottom feeding non competitive teams and turned them around quickly. Yep, the guy sucks.

The guy can coach.

I wish he had stayed.

I have no doubt that he would had a great career on the Hill.

Doug Marrone,

Bills,

Jags,

Well, duh, this is the Saint Dougie thread.

For those scoring at home, Marrone's career NFL record is now 19 and 20. I've often said I think he will prove to be better as an NFL coach than a college coach. His college record was an even .500.

He's got 11 games to go this season, and the Jags schedule doesn't have the cream of the NFL on it. Their game this Sunday vs the Rams might be the most interesting game left on their schedule. To finish the season above .500 Marrone needs to go 7 and 4 to finish 10 and 6. That would settle his career record at 26 and 24.

I think he can do it, but he needs Fournette to handle a 16 game season, and that defense has to remain stout, because they aren't going to win through the air. The games to watch for look to be Rams at home, @ Cards and Seahawks at home. The rest of the schedule has a bunch of underwhelming to middling teams. The Jags division is a bunch of teams kind of stuck in the middle of the NFL. Maybe Marrone can break from the pack.

Doug Marrone,

Bills,

Jags,

He was also instrumental in changing the Ain's (Worst NFL team EVER) into the Superbwl winning Saints. And he played O-line on the 1984 Syracuse Orangeman football team that upset No.1 Nebraska. And he was an all-pro for the London Monarchs in 1991, who also won the NFLE Championship that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom