San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

San Diego St / CBS 9:40 PM

I know Boeheim likes to recruit length to optimize the efficacy of your 2-3. But this year's squad doesn't seem to be any taller than the longer MWC teams. In fact, both Utah State and Boise State run as tall if not taller than the Orange.

Is there any validity to the perception that you guys aren't as tall or long this year as you normally are? Or is this just a result of poor recall, small sample size, and/or haunting nightmares from a hoops game played on an aircraft carrier?

The bigger guys who are our best defensive players come off the bench. So make of that what you will. People have of course been frustrated by Boeheims lack of usage Kadary Richmond and Robert Braswell and Edwards the backup (and only true center.)

Our Hall of Fame coach isn't going to help the other team out by only playing 5-6 guys and leaving those 3 on the pine which he frustratingly did a couple months back.

Regardless this game isn't coming down to size. Should be high scoring. Not long ago an SDSU-Syracuse tilt has an over under of something like 110.

Yes but you don’t play ACC caliber teams every night. Big difference.
False.

Again, adjusted defense is normalized for opponent and venue, so respective opponents and schedules are already factored into the metric. So no difference.

Also, I doubt many ACC teams not named Duke or UNC would enjoy the same success if you had to travel 15,000 miles each season and play at multiple venues at or above a mile in elevation.

Last edited:
If tough = boring, then yeah it's tough.

Otherwise, are you kidding me?
Can’t say much (and don’t know too much) but I work with someone whose kid is in the tourney. She said between the conference tourney and this, they’re solo in a hotel room for weeks other than gym time and it’s wearing on them. He’ll be happy when it’s done and he can get back to campus and be whatever “normal” is now. It’s real easy for us to see some greater perspective but this feels like a job to these kids and the hoops they’re jumping through are really crazy.

False.

Again, adjusted defense is normalized for opponent and venue, so respective opponents and schedules are already factored into the metric. So no difference.

Also, I doubt many ACC teams not named Duke or UNC would enjoy the same success if you had to travel 15,000 miles each season and play at multiple venues at or above a mile in elevation.

For the second part it's not that bad. An athlete is an athlete. It takes a little adjustment but unless you you asthma or a pulmonary condition in general it doesn't take that long. That is personal experience for me having family in the rockies and being a runner. That it is much more difficult is way over played.

Can’t say much (and don’t know too much) but I work with someone whose kid is in the tourney. She said between the conference tourney and this, they’re solo in a hotel room for weeks other than gym time and it’s wearing on them. He’ll be happy when it’s done and he can get back to campus and be whatever “normal” is now. It’s real easy for us to see some greater perspective but this feels like a job to these kids and the hoops they’re jumping through are really crazy.

Yeah, no doubt that this year's very strict protocol/guidelines that have to be adhered to can't make this year's Dance as enjoyable of an experience that's typical. Having to spend your downtime isolated in your hotel room, not being able to chill with your teammates, take in any scenes/things around town, etc. stinks for anyone. And, I'd imagine even more so for players who don't/won't play at all in games, but still have to go through all these motions, all the while being unable to take in all of the usual social benefits provided, camaraderie, etc.

Therefore, I can see with this being the case, how indeed it may feel like a job to them. Perhaps, they should be rewarded with some type of "bonus" stipend or the like for their part in pulling this off where billions of dollars are on the line?

Dang, I live in San Diego and have not seen them play. Had no idea they had such a good record

Dang, I live in San Diego and have not seen them play. Had no idea they had such a good record.
I also live in San Diego right next to SDSU the Aztec fans believe there team is so good its amazing not saying they are bad but the MWC is weak almost every year the ACC is down this year but year in & year out there's no comparison Syracuse is no MWC team we will see come Friday Go Orange

I also live in San Diego right next to SDSU the Aztec fans believe there team is so good its amazing not saying they are bad but the MWC is weak almost every year the ACC is down this year but year in & year out there's no comparison Syracuse is no MWC team we will see come Friday Go Orange
Do they use punctuation in California? My goodness!

I work with several people who’s children are overseas hoping they don’t get killed by some whacko terrorist who hates the United States.
Please stop it with the “ kids mental health BS”.

“Cocaine is a hell of a drug.”
Punctuation is definitely not a statewide issue.

San Diego in the house here too. A ton of Cuse fans here. We took over the Midway game much to chagrin of State fans.
Mitchell at the FT line as a point forward against the zone and defensive rebounding my biggest concern

For the second part it's not that bad. An athlete is an athlete. It takes a little adjustment but unless you you asthma or a pulmonary condition in general it doesn't take that long. That is personal experience for me having family in the rockies and being a runner. That it is much more difficult is way over played.
Lulz. Try asking any of the HCs who have coached in this league. It makes a significant difference, even for those athletes who are exposed to the high-altitude conditions on a regular basis. Or check out the NIH's broad spectrum analysis covering thirty-five years of studied on the subject.

And yes, logging legit road warrior miles (15 thousand miles each season - far more than most Americans travel in their lifetimes) while juggling a full-time class load is more difficult for student athletes than it is for those who never travel outside their state until league play starts, and then, only a for a couple hours at a time.

*their*

Hey, he's one of yours. Can we trade him back to you for a fan to be named later?

San Diego in the house here too. A ton of Cuse fans here. We took over the Midway game much to chagrin of State fans.
Mitchell at the FT line as a point forward against the zone and defensive rebounding my biggest concern
Yes you guys did. Tbh that surprised a lot of us. Impressive showing, but then again, who wouldn't want to visit America's Finest City for a weekend? We're a premier destination city for O&D travel.

Lulz. Try asking any of the HCs who have coached in this league. It makes a significant difference, even for those athletes who are exposed to the high-altitude conditions on a regular basis. Or check out the NIH's broad spectrum analysis covering thirty-five years of studied on the subject.

And yes, logging legit road warrior miles (15 thousand miles each season - far more than most Americans travel in their lifetimes) while juggling a full-time class load is more difficult for student athletes than it is for those who never travel outside their state until league play starts, and then, only a for a couple hours at a time.

I'm aware of the studies for full disclosure ( data and analytics were my world for 15 yrs). There are also differences at different elevations such as where elevation sickness and impacts kick in. For instance high exertion at 8000 ft then at sea level. The point is the results on the court for wins and losses and the advantage is not as much as what you would think. For something more mainstream the Nuggets were slated as having a 2.5 home wins advantage over the year because of altitude.

That would normalize to maybe 1 or less in the condensed college season. Add in talent differential which always plays a much larger share and it's debatable in terms of outcomes. I tend to work backwards with topics like this.

Also just a note- we have northeast/NY blood running through many of us. So if it seems like someone is being an ass (myself included) I likely am. That said- it's not personal and just my nature. Love having you guys around for pre game fun. Cheers!

Last edited:
I work with several people who’s children are overseas hoping they don’t get killed by some whacko terrorist who hates the United States.
Yes mental health is only difficult if you're in the military. Known fact.

Thank you for spreading the word

I want to take the chance to share my only connection to Syracuse (well, one of two - Syracuse was one of the schools to offer me a free ride) and maybe ingratiate a few of you to a former friend in the process.

Growing up in the 80s, there was a punk rockabilly San Diego band called the Beat Farmers. Their lead guitarist was this cat named Buddy Seigal, a.k.a., Buddy Blue. When they spit, he struck out on his own, returning to the roots he knew and are up with... in Syracuse, NY.

Buddy wrote, and played, his own fusion of rockabilly, jump blues, and swing. He would set up about once a month in this crappy little hole in the wall about a 5 minute walk from my apartment in La Mesa (Pete's Place). They would push the bar boxes back to the wall and set up a little stage in that 400 sq ft booze-swilling brawl house. The place would be packed, but even then, could only accommodate three dozen, maybe forty people, tops.

I've hooted, hollered, and danced to Buddy's music with three girlfriends, two fiancées, and my current wife. Buddy ran interference with one of the gf's while I was working overseas. And it was six weeks after 9/11 that we went down to hear him play, for what would turn out to be the last time; he was a musical genius, and recorded with a litany of jazz greats before dying suddenly from a heart attack fifteen years ago. It was Buddy's music that night, in a dive bar that felt like 1941, that reassured me we, as a nation, would emerge from this okay.

And so, for those of you who have never heard of Buddy "Blue" Seigal, it is my pleasure to return a son of Syracuse back home, if only in memory.

While he cut four (five?) albums, his music is hard to come by. I've posted a couple sings below that show his range.

Goldmine features some of those rockabilly and jump blue roots:

Right Cross, Left Hook was written about the very dive bar where I used to walk down to/stumble out of to see him play. And Wretch's Lament is one of the most melodious and melancholious songs you'll hear.

If you find even a passing like in his sound, please dig around for one of his albums. He was proud of his Syracuse roots, and to keep his memory alive in his hometown honestly means more to me than he outcome of Friday's game.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm aware of the studies for full disclosure ( data and analytics were my world for 15 yrs). There are also differences at different elevations such as where elevation sickness and impacts kick in. For instance high exertion at 8000 ft then at sea level. The point is the results on the court for wins and losses and the advantage is not as much as what you would think. For something more mainstream the Nuggets were slated as having a 2.5 home wins advantage over the year because of altitude.

That would normalize to maybe 1 or less in the condensed college season. Add in talent differential which always plays a much larger share and it's debatable in terms of outcomes. I tend to work backwards with topics like this.

Also just a note- we have northeast/NY blood running through many of us. So if it seems like someone is being an ass (myself included) I likely am. That said- it's not personal and just my nature. Love having you guys around for pre game fun. Cheers!
That's awesome. I'm a a mathematician and data scientist and still (begrudgingly) work in the field. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

I think there is some resemblance of long-term acclimation, or at least a process by which it becomes easier for athletes over time. Again though, I implore you to seek input from those (Has and trainers) who deal with this issue year in and year out in the league.

ETA: I also think the length/duration of time at altitude plays a significant role IIRC. These kids don't pitch a tent and settle in at basecamp. They arrive, check in, check out, and depart all within less than 48 hours. This is significantly different than staying and training at altitude.

Last edited:
Of course everyone can have mental health issues, but to hear some of these players like Geo Baker cry the blues about their sacrifices is a bit much.These guys aren’t living in the Do Drop Inn without heat or air and surviving on bread and water.

Odd to use quotes on something I didn’t say and didn’t even imply.

ive been on business trips for multiple weeks and it sucks. And that’s with some flex to make the most of my time. Really weird stance if you want to make a case that what they’re doing (for our benefit, the network’s benefits and for sponsor benefit) is straightforward and easy.

Yes mental health is only difficult if you're in the military. Known fact.

Thank you for spreading the word

mental health? It’s three weeks at the most in semi-isolation. BFD, if your bored read a book, do your coursework. Watch the tournament.

it’s not going into a super max or becoming a monk

talk about first world problems

Odd to use quotes on something I didn’t say and didn’t even imply.

ive been on business trips for multiple weeks and it sucks. And that’s with some flex to make the most of my time. Really weird stance if you want to make a case that what they’re doing (for our benefit, the network’s benefits and for sponsor benefit) is straightforward and easy.
It’s not just what you said, you just added to what’s been said and reported to be said by a few players.
Didn’t mean to bag on what you said, I just got done reading how bad one player thinks he has it and quite frankly I have zero sympathy.Opt out if you think you are being treated poorly or you don’t like your circumstances but spare us the whining.

Of course everyone can have mental health issues, but to hear some of these players like Geo Baker cry the blues about their sacrifices is a bit much.These guys aren’t living in the Do Drop Inn without heat or air and surviving on bread and water.

i agree. i keep hearing how difficult this is for the players and what a huge sacrifice it is. really??? i have a 1 year old at home and get up at 5am everyday for work. id love to spend a couple weeks doing nothing except relaxing in a nice hotel room and playing basketball!

i agree. i keep hearing how difficult this is for the players and what a huge sacrifice it is. really??? i have a 1 year old at home and get up at 5am everyday for work. id love to spend a couple weeks doing nothing except relaxing in a nice hotel room and playing basketball!
I get it, but some people go stir crazy, I did a million times during quarantine, I need to get out just to run to the store or go for a walk, not to be able to do that isn't easy, This isn't the Disney Bubble from the summer, I heard these kids can barely leave their room, and their not getting paid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom