Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base

You raise ticket prices by $2 a game and you end up making the same amount of money with 39k vs 41k.
Right cause people already complain about the cost of attendance so you want them to pay more and have less people. Your economics don't make sense.

but it's not an issue for basketball when the weather is way worse. they're getting bigger crowds on weeknights when people are really pressed for time and all showing up at the same time

Basketball games arent 3.5 hours long either.

I go to every game. $15.00 to park is still expensive. There are several lots near the hill charging $25.00 - There is free parking up near skytop - but not many want to shuttle (including me). I am just telling you people that I talk to in my group of people that I know. Say its too much of a pain in the ass.

This is where there's a big divide, I think. To me, $15 to park for a P5 football game is not expensive at all.

I pay $10-15 to park for the AHL hockey and independent league baseball teams near me. Last year I paid $50 to park at a Patriots game. I'm pretty sure I paid $30 or $40 to park at MetLife for SU-Penn State and SU-USC.

$15 is a bargain even taking into account the cost of living difference in CNY.

I don't doubt for a second that people complain that it's too expensive or a pain. But that doesn't mean it's not an excuse too. Put it this way, let's say one of your friends is a huge Toby Keith fan. And he is playing the new amphitheater up there, or the State Fair. Would they hesitate for a second to pay $15, hell $30, to park and take a shuttle for 5 minutes to see him? I'm guessing not. Why? Because they really want to attend the event.

They don't want to pay $15 or park for free and take a shuttle for an SU football game because they don't want to attend it. Really want to attend it.

While Parking at skytop isnt an issue for you trust me it is for a lot of other people. I dont agree with them but as HeaterCuse above noted its becoming a bigger and bigger gripe that we hear from people. SU would be wise as Kelly noted to advertise the fact that there are public parking options available near the dome.

I think it's a gripe when you're going to watch a bad, boring team, in a half full stadium.

Everything is harder when the end product is the actual sacrifice.

I go to every game. $15.00 to park is still expensive. There are several lots near the hill charging $25.00 - There is free parking up near skytop - but not many want to shuttle (including me). I am just telling you people that I talk to in my group of people that I know. Say its too much of a pain in the ass.
To be honest, these people will never go under any circumstances. And, there is unlikely to be a venue anywhere that would satisfy them. So, bye bye!

I think it's a gripe when you're going to watch a bad, boring team, in a half full stadium.

As someone who used to drive into Boston to see games at Fenway and the Garden, the parking thing just cracks me up. I mean you've never really lived until you've illegally parked on some sketchy side street and spent the next 4 hours hoping against hope that your car is still there when you return because it could either be towed or stolen.

I absolutely think that is probaly 75% of the actual reason people complain about it. That said SU isnt doing itself any favors in the area either.

This is where there's a big divide, I think. To me, $15 to park for a P5 football game is not expensive at all.

I pay $10-15 to park for the AHL hockey and independent league baseball teams near me. Last year I paid $50 to park at a Patriots game. I'm pretty sure I paid $30 or $40 to park at MetLife for SU-Penn State and SU-USC.

$15 is a bargain even taking into account the cost of living difference in CNY.

I don't doubt for a second that people complain that it's too expensive or a pain. But that doesn't mean it's not an excuse too. Put it this way, let's say one of your friends is a huge Toby Keith fan. And he is playing the new amphitheater up there, or the State Fair. Would they hesitate for a second to pay $15, hell $30, to park and take a shuttle for 5 minutes to see him? I'm guessing not. Why? Because they really want to attend the event.

They don't want to pay $15 or park for free and take a shuttle for an SU football game because they don't want to attend it. Really want to attend it.

True like I said its a small excuse that is used but people don't move past it. I for one always get a ride to the dome somehow. I don't want to drive around after having beers. :)

edit. PS its $5 bucks to park at the fair.

As someone who used to drive into Boston to see games at Fenway and the Garden, the parking thing just cracks me up. I mean you've never really lived until you've illegally parked on some sketchy side street and spent the next 4 hours hoping against hope that your car is still there when you return because it could either be towed or stolen.

I get your point but your comparing NFL and MLB games in cities with millons of people versus Syracuse. The situations couldn't be more different. People are accustomed in Boston and NY to limited expensive parking options, people here for the most part have no clue about any of that.

To be honest, these people will never go under any circumstances. And, there is unlikely to be a venue anywhere that would satisfy them. So, bye bye!

And that my friends is why people don't go. Right here.

True like I said its a small excuse that is used but people don't move past it. I for one always get a ride to the dome somehow. I don't want to drive around after having beers. :)

edit. PS its $5 bucks to park at the fair.

I don't dispute it and I'm not trying to be argumentative, I swear. But some people you just can't satisfy, so what can you do?

I'm sure if SU was 9-2, ranked #9 and playing a home game for the right to go to the ACC Champ game, then a lot of those people would magically lose their aversion to $15 parking.

I don't dispute it and I'm not trying to be argumentative, I swear. But some people you just can't satisfy, so what can you do?

I'm sure if SU was 9-2, ranked #9 and playing a home game for the right to go to the ACC Champ game, then a lot of those people would magically lose their aversion to $15 parking.

Yes this has been my point all along.

And that my friends is why people don't go. Right here.
Yup, win games, build a new customer base, and say goodbye. First rule of sales: Qualify your customer. If they aren't willing/able to buy, walk away from them.

I get your point but your comparing NFL and MLB games in cities with millons of people versus Syracuse. The situations couldn't be more different. People are accustomed in Boston and NY to limited expensive parking options, people here for the most part have no clue about any of that.

But I was just told parking at the State Far is $5. And people in CNY pay for some parking some times, right? Concerts and Chiefs games and NASCAR and all that? I give CNYers a lot more credit than that, they're not THAT naive and sheltered.

Look at other ACC schools and see what it is at those places.

Look at other ACC schools and see what it is at those places.

But Bayside, the people of Charlottesville and Blacksburg and Clemson and Greensboro are totally used to limited, expensive parking options! ;)

Right cause people already complain about the cost of attendance so you want them to pay more and have less people. Your economics don't make sense.

Um the only way we get over 40k is to have a good product. If we have a good product people will be willing to pay $2 more per game.

can I ask how you could draw this conclusion given the fact that you don't live here?

Sure. I read this board and Syracuse media - both mainstream and non. I also know local fans and people who work at SU (athletics included). I think it's pretty fair to say we have a very fickle fan base (not unlike many others), who as the team's performance has dropped have stopped showing up.

I'd never expect people to spend money they don't have or abandon family to see every game, but if there are a lot of people not showing up once in a while because the team is trying to right itself, well I think that makes them less than stellar fans.

Um the only way we get over 40k is to have a good product. If we have a good product people will be willing to pay $2 more per game.
Do you go to every game? I'm not being sarcastic or a butthead. I do and I'm telling you we get over 40k at least a few times a year. No reason to throw those ticket sales away, shrink the dome, and make the regular fan base pay more. It's a horrible economic equation. You're taking away actual ticket sales, pissing off the season ticket holders, and getting less people in the Dome. If you simply make the product better than you'll get 40k+ regardless of the $2 so why screw everyone else over in the process?

You realize that people who live close to The Dome that aren't actually fans arent spending time complaining about the team right? Those people are not fans at all.

I don't follow. The people I'm talking about are fans - those who follow the team...watch games on TV...read SU media, etc. Who cares about non fans?

Sure. I read this board and Syracuse media - both mainstream and non. I also know local fans and people who work at SU (athletics included). I think it's pretty fair to say we have a very fickle fan base (not unlike many others), who as the team's performance has dropped have stopped showing up.

I'd never expect people to spend money they don't have or abandon family to see every game, but if there are a lot of people not showing up once in a while because the team is trying to right itself, well I think that makes them less than stellar fans.

But people do show up every once in a while did you see the average attendance above?

Go read the articles I posted that said despite a national drop in attendance ours actually increased 6% last year, during a 3-9 season. Opinions are you know what, so is word of mouth. Look at the actual numbers.

I absolutely think that is probaly 75% of the actual reason people complain about it. That said SU isnt doing itself any favors in the area either.

If we do ever get 45k to 49k again, people will still gripe about it. I mean, with a full Dome, there are some annoying things that can happen. Like Marrone's opener against Minny, if you didn't arrive early, you waited in line forever (unless you found the player family entrance like SUfanJK and I did).

But again, like a baseball team with too many starting pitchers, it's a good problem to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom