Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base

I'm no Don Draper, but even I know that trying to goad your potential customers into buying a a substandard product by insulting them probably is a poor approach. Want fans to come in droves? Win.

I'm probably the poster child for casual fan. I'm not a huge football fan in general, but I've been to a half dozen NFL games and probably the same number of SU football games in the 15 years I've lived in Syracuse as a wage earning adult. I think the last live SU game I went to was in 2006 when they played Iowa St and they couldn't punch it in from the 2 on what seemed like a dozen chances. I go to about 3-5 SU basketball games every year, but I'm not a huge fan of big crowds, so I typically pick one conference game and buy stub hub seats for cheap for a few OOC games.

Football is definitely a TV sport. I play fantasy football and watch about 1-2 hours of NFL every week. I barely watch college football except that I try to catch a few minutes of Syracuse on TV when I can and I check this board and the scores. Other than that, meh. My significant other has zero interest in watching football, but she does like basketball because it has a more up-tempo pace (about football: "why do they stop every ten seconds?). We used to have two season tickets for the office, but no one ever wanted them.

I don't follow. The people I'm talking about are fans - those who follow the team...watch games on TV...read SU media, etc. Who cares about non fans?
those fans you speak of would be the fair weathers, quite of few of them also attend or attended the university and do not reside here but cannot find a way to get to the games either.

Do you go to every game? I'm not being sarcastic or a butthead. I do and I'm telling you we get over 40k at least a few times a year. No reason to throw those ticket sales away, shrink the dome, and make the regular fan base pay more. It's a horrible economic equation. You're taking away actual ticket sales, pissing off the season ticket holders, and getting less people in the Dome. If you simply make the product better than you'll get 40k+ regardless of the $2 so why screw everyone else over in the process?

I have rarely seen a good crowd since the P days. After a renovated Dome with real seating wider concourses, and new concessions people will be too distracted to notice the $2 increase. You are not getting less people in if the actual attendance has been 36k all this time as has been reported by some here (40>36). Making the product better is easier said than done. We have been trying that for 15 years and haven't been able to do so.

Look at other ACC schools and see what it is at those places.

Again I dont disagree but the people who are complaining about that and using as an excuse could care less what is at G. Tech, Clemson, FSU or Duke. 99% of them have never been to a game there and never will be.

But I was just told parking at the State Far is $5. And people in CNY pay for some parking some times, right? Concerts and Chiefs games and NASCAR and all that? I give CNYers a lot more credit than that, they're not THAT naive and sheltered.

The fairweather fans were talking about probably pay for parking once or twice a year at most and thats probably the Fair where there Ok shelling out 10 bucks to park as close as possible. There the same ones who never go dtown because they cant find a place to park like there at the Mall. Most parking in upstate is free and close to the event. Try charging $35 to park sometime for a Dome game like they do at Metlife and watch the meltdowns.

Cuseregular said:
I agree but people hold grudges for 50 years and, sad to say, that one is alive and well (I'll make a post on this later).

That's just sad.

I believe you, but damn, people need to learn how to let go.

The fairweather fans were talking about probably pay for parking once or twice a year at most and thats probably the Fair where there Ok shelling out 10 bucks to park as close as possible. There the same ones who never go dtown because they cant find a place to park like there at the Mall. Most parking in upstate is free and close to the event. Try charging $35 to park sometime for a Dome game like they do at Metlife and watch the meltdowns.

I totally get it. I'm not really challenging anybody, I know these feelings exist. Just pointing out that the feelings aren't solvable other than putting a top 25 caliber team on the field.

That's just sad.

I believe you, but damn, people need to learn how to let go.

Never have heard that brought up in any circle of my friends. In fact the only people I have ever heard discuss it is this board.

I have rarely seen a good crowd since the P days. After a renovated Dome with real seating wider concourses, and new concessions people will be too distracted to notice the $2 increase. You are not getting less people in if the actual attendance has been 36k all this time as has been reported by some here (40>36). Making the product better is easier said than done. We have been trying that for 15 years and haven't been able to do so.
You contradict yourself. Make a better product and people won't care about the $2. That's what you said. I say the same thing about it getting more people in the Dome and you say it's easier said than done and claim it'll be Dome renovations that will make the difference. I also don't care about actual attendance, not sure why you cling to it. What's more important are ticket sales. SU makes money on a sold ticket whether they show up or not. And if you haven't seen a good crowd since P days then you aren't going enough.

You contradict yourself. Make a better product and people won't care about the $2. That's what you said. I say the same thing about it getting more people in the Dome and you say it's easier said than done and claim it'll be Dome renovations that will make the difference. I also don't care about actual attendance, not sure why you cling to it. What's more important are ticket sales. SU makes money on a sold ticket whether they show up or not. And if you haven't seen a good crowd since P days then you aren't going enough.
be careful pyle, ive been scolded on here for suggesting people call the Dome box office and not use stubhub when looking for a ticket.

HeaterCuse22 said:
I just hope everyone is ready for another 8 pages after this weekend.

Crowd is going to be similar to the last 2 weeks. Nobody new is buying seasons so the only tix will be single game. Not too many are going to pay $80-$140 for what they perceive to be "good" seats. A lot of people won't buy end zone seats because they don't view them as "good" seats and don't want to buy them just to be in the building.

Crowd is going to be similar to the last 2 weeks. Nobody new is buying seasons so the only tix will be single game. Not too many are going to pay $80-$140 for what they perceive to be "good" seats. A lot of people won't buy end zone seats because they don't view them as "good" seats and don't want to buy them just to be in the building.

that's why I think you are on to something with the season ticket pricing. If theres 20K . well Make lower bowl 150 -175 tops.

K Otto XLIV said:
The preferred seating PDFs don't work on Cuse.com. From those you can see how many A level seats there are for BBall and FB. I know BBall has six sections of A (plus risers) and that FB has 4 (minus top 1/2 of upper deck). I wonder how many of the BBall A level people do not also have FB A level. Including donation a season ticket in FB for those people only costs $245 per seat. If you have any interest in FB at all it would be crazy not to grab a 50 yard line seat for $35 per game. Are those seats in preferred being sold and we have no shows because people don't care? The single ticket prices are out of whack. But the season ticket prices are as cheap as can be.

I know hundreds of fans. Some are football only, some are basketball only, some do both. But there are plenty of football only and plenty of basketball only. In our tailgate group of 75-100, I'd bet 1/2 or even more are football only from a season ticket standpoint.

OttoForLife said:
Sure. I read this board and Syracuse media - both mainstream and non. I also know local fans and people who work at SU (athletics included). I think it's pretty fair to say we have a very fickle fan base (not unlike many others), who as the team's performance has dropped have stopped showing up. I'd never expect people to spend money they don't have or abandon family to see every game, but if there are a lot of people not showing up once in a while because the team is trying to right itself, well I think that makes them less than stellar fans.

Which locals here have you heard (read) complain and not go to games?

I know hundreds of fans. Some are football only, some are basketball only, some do both. But there are plenty of football only and plenty of basketball only. In our tailgate group of 75-100, I'd bet 1/2 or even more are football only from a season ticket standpoint.
this is a big project for doctor bartlett. how much do football and basketball compete and how do you do something about it?

HeaterCuse22 said:
that's why I think you are on to something with the season ticket pricing. If theres 20K . well Make lower bowl 150 -175 tops.

In a nutshell, the problem is the reduction of season ticket holders and thus those seats not being sold for individual games because the price is so high. Drop all donations for football. It'll fix a lot of things and if the team wins, we're good to go.

Last edited:
In a nutshell, the problem is the reduction of season ticket holders and thus those seats not being sold because the price is so high. Drop all donations for football. It'll fix a lot of things and if the team wins, we're good to go.

I blame Obama :)

Millhouse said:
this is a big project for doctor bartlett. how much do football and basketball compete and how do you do something about it?

If you saw my long post further up, I spoke with him Saturday and SU is looking at the situation and Dan had some good ideas which he's putting forth too.

Again I dont disagree but the people who are complaining about that and using as an excuse could care less what is at G. Tech, Clemson, FSU or Duke. 99% of them have never been to a game there and never will be.

Just setting the marketplace since I agree that Fenway and Nats Park for me ($30-$35 to watch Matt Williams cement harden in his head) isn't the ACC marketplace.

Apparently its Kids day at the game Saturday- Not shockingly I never heard that until just now. LOL All kids under 12 get in free.

How about this...have a good season and worry about attendance next year.

End of thread.

YEAH!

Not sure if the students have been mentioned since there have been free tickets for them, but I wanted to share an idea.

My sister was in the marching band along with Sour Sitrus Society. During her career there, everybody involved became a part of this "club" (think of it like a points club). Not sure of the exact numbers but for each football game they played at, they'd receive 5 points and for basketball they'd receive about 3-4 points. If they played a soccer game or lacrosse game, they'd get more points (like 8-10). Eventually this adds up and the band would pick the members that would travel to Big East/ACC/NCAA Tournament, bowl games, etc.

They should do this with students. As a freshman you start at zero but the more sports you attend, the more points you obtain. Once you hit a certain amount of points, you qualify for some solid perks:

100 pts - option for lower level at basketball (or something like this)
300 pts - top priority for football/basketball tickets
500 pts - first dibs at BE/ACC Tournament tickets for basketball
600 pts - first dibs at NCAA Tournament tickets
700 pts - first dibs at Bowl Game/Final Four tickets

This brings more reason for students to attend not only football games, but things like soccer, softball, etc. Most of the olympic sports are free to attend as a student so it doesn't cost them anything to go AND they're supporting the olympic sports along with increasing their chances at the stuff EVERYBODY wants (bowl game tickets, Final Four tickets).

I have had SU football season tickets for 25 years and I can't wait for the Notre Dame game at Met Life next season. With the lousy attendance in the dome this season it will be great for these players to play in front of a packed NFL stadium. The bandwagon fans in this town have no reason to complain since they are not showing up for home games in the dome.

I personally think the Met Life games were great for recruiting. My biggest fear with the attendance this season is how other coaches are going to use it against our staff on the recruiting trail. Imagine showing a recruit a photo of an empty dome for the 2015 ACC home opener.
you are entirely correct!!!

Apparently its Kids day at the game Saturday- Not shockingly I never heard that until just now. LOL All kids under 12 get in free.

Kids Under 12 should be free every game in a family section. Under 18 should be heavily discounted to the price of a movie ticket to match entertainment options. Teens arent dropping $70 to take their girl to a low level football game in a half empty building. This isnt basketball where you are automatically part of the top fan base for the last 30+ years and 99% of the time rooting for a team that will be entered into a tournament for a National Championship. People need to stop getting caught up in "it isnt a problem for basketball so it cant be used as an excuse for football"...you are talking the difference between the New York Yankees and Syracuse Chiefs when you compare the basketball and football program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom