Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base | Syracusefan.com

Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base

don't you know that foozball drives the SYRACUSE economics ?
why it even helped blowup the damned big east (best basketball conference in the land). no we are a truly foozball school...

NOT!

Does anyone think that moving games to MetLife might have turned off some local "fans"? Much like Shaw's "Get a Life" comment still lingers with some, Gross moving big games to MetLife (and not being clear that it was all about needed $) did some damage to casual fans.

Coyle has it right- it's SU's job to get those connections repaired. Winning helps. Scoring points helps some more. Getting to 5-1 before a return to the Dome in October will do wonders for ticket sales.

It basically said that you can't cry about having games at MetLife and not show up to a divisional game at the dome. I believe I heard a mic drop at the end

If they moved Wake Forest games to Metlife, no locals would've complained. (I know that this matchup would not get a MetLife slot in reality, just making a point)

You can't move every big OOC game to New Jersey for several years, and then complain about people complaining about it, while referencing poor attendance for a Wake Forest game.

Could we have knocked off USC or Penn State in the Dome? Those games were very competitive. Would home field have made enough of a difference to win? Would our program be in better shape if we'd played and won those games at home, to where we wouldn't draw this poorly because more people would be thinking of the great time they had when we knocked off top 5 USC in the Dome a few years ago?

It basically said that you can't cry about having games at MetLife and not show up to a divisional game at the dome. I believe I heard a mic drop at the end

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

It sucked that so few people attended the game. It was a league game and a day to honor Coach Mac. There was no State Fair. Students were given free tickets. Some people will always find excuses not to go. Nothing mandates that all students and locals need to go. I go because I love it. There are things that others enjoy (ie soccer), that I'd have no desire to attend. Still, we used to draw better crowds. I'm not giving up on the crowds coming back on a more consistent basis just yet. Once we start winning consistently again, they should return. If not, then we might have a problem.

Some would say A (Metlife in the first place), led (lead?) to B (26k for Wake).

As alarming as 26k is, since it's about 8k less than what used to be considered a terrible low water mark, the reasons have been documented all over the place. It's a little bit of everything.

3 win season last year
Predicted to be similar. The PS writers (I'm not blaming them) each picked a losing season, which I'm sure most local fans have read (or red?).
Disparate pricing for good seats vs bad seats.

All adds up to emptiness.

The only thing I don't contribute to it is the parking, tailgate situation. That's never an issue when we're good. And it's not an issue if we only have 34k. So I don't believe it forces 8,000 more people to say I'm not dealing with that, I want cheap, NFL style parking!

SUFaninNJ said:
It sucked that so few people attended the game. It was a league game and a day to honor Coach Mac. There was no State Fair. Students were given free tickets. Some people will always find excuses not to go. Nothing mandates that all students and locals need to go. I go because I love it. There are things that others enjoy (ie soccer), that I'd have no desire to attend. Still, we used to draw better crowds. I'm not giving up on the crowds coming back on a more consistent basis just yet. Once we start winning consistently again, they should return. If not, then we might have a problem.
What's soccer?

;)

OttoForLife said:
You say it that way. I'll say it like this - crappy fans.

Were you there?

I have had SU football season tickets for 25 years and I can't wait for the Notre Dame game at Met Life next season. With the lousy attendance in the dome this season it will be great for these players to play in front of a packed NFL stadium. The bandwagon fans in this town have no reason to complain since they are not showing up for home games in the dome.

I personally think the Met Life games were great for recruiting. My biggest fear with the attendance this season is how other coaches are going to use it against our staff on the recruiting trail. Imagine showing a recruit a photo of an empty dome for the 2015 ACC home opener.

I have had SU football season tickets for 25 years and I can't wait for the Notre Dame game at Met Life next season. With the lousy attendance in the dome this season it will be great for these players to play in front of a packed NFL stadium. The bandwagon fans in this town have no reason to complain since they are not showing up for home games in the dome.

I personally think the Met Life games were great for recruiting. My biggest fear with the attendance this season is how other coaches are going to use it against our staff on the recruiting trail. Imagine showing a recruit a photo of an empty dome for the 2015 ACC home opener.
I hear you but the program got roughly 5mil per game. It's worth it, especially with a pathetic local fanbase. Charmin should sponsor the dome.

If they moved Wake Forest games to Metlife, no locals would've complained. (I know that this matchup would not get a MetLife slot in reality, just making a point)

You can't move every big OOC game to New Jersey for several years, and then complain about people complaining about it, while referencing poor attendance for a Wake Forest game.

Could we have knocked off USC or Penn State in the Dome? Those games were very competitive. Would home field have made enough of a difference to win? Would our program be in better shape if we'd played and won those games at home, to where we wouldn't draw this poorly because more people would be thinking of the great time they had when we knocked off top 5 USC in the Dome a few years ago?
We played penn st at the dome in 2008 I believe.

It was a white out

The fact of the matter is they sell season tix for 99 bucks. It doesn't matter how poor the cny economy is, that's dirt cheap. It's not like there are pro sports up there. People need to stop crying and go show support to the team.

It'll be packed all right.

It'll look like a St Patrick's Day Parade.

leprechaun-1976.gif

BVille44 said:
I have had SU football season tickets for 25 years and I can't wait for the Notre Dame game at Met Life next season. With the lousy attendance in the dome this season it will be great for these players to play in front of a packed NFL stadium. The bandwagon fans in this town have no reason to complain since they are not showing up for home games in the dome. I personally think the Met Life games were great for recruiting. My biggest fear with the attendance this season is how other coaches are going to use it against our staff on the recruiting trail. Imagine showing a recruit a photo of an empty dome for the 2015 ACC home opener.

The MetLife games have been terminated early partly because of attendance.

AAM62 said:
I hear you but the program got roughly 5mil per game. It's worth it, especially with a pathetic local fanbase. Charmin should sponsor the dome.

No they didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom