Say what you want about our coaches | Syracusefan.com

Say what you want about our coaches

bothsocksup

Starter
But these guys can recruit. "The band" theory might not be the most effective way of coaching, but it certainly works in the recruiting game. I'm hoping that this groups ability to recruit will cover up some of the lack of experience we have right now in the gameplanning

I would take mediocre recruiting not to be one of the worst offenses in CFB and one of the worst overall teams.

Que the "we're on par with our peers" crowd.

qdawgg said:
I would take mediocre recruiting not to be one of the worst offenses in CFB and one of the worst overall teams. Que the "we're on par with our peers" crowd.

That assumes that better recruiting won't translate to better offense and wins. Too early to tell if that's the case, IMO.

I agree better recruiting does mean better offense. Ishmael and Phillips were two good recruits and were probably two of our best offensive players and consistently. Long wasn't horrible and has shown flashes. Of the freshman they recruited they have shown to be an upgrade in terms of production.

So everyone is saying that teams like Florida Atlantic, UAB, Massachusetts, Rice, Buffalo, and Middle Tennessee... who are all 20 - 40 points higher than us in offensive efficiency. They all recruit better than we do? So if we recruit better we should be better at offense than teams like that? Should be exciting in a couple years when we get those recruits in.

qdawgg said:
So everyone is saying that teams like Florida Atlantic, UAB, Massachusetts, Rice, Buffalo, and Middle Tennessee... who are all 20 - 40 points higher than us in offensive efficiency. They all recruit better than we do? So if we recruit better we should be better at offense than teams like that? Should be exciting in a couple years when we get those recruits in.

False choice.

It's not either or. This year's offense was bad. We have no real idea of how successful Lester's system will be. We know that they are decent/good recruiters.

Juries out on the offensive system. Recruiting is fine.

They also don't play the same schedule SU's offense did. How did the SU offense do vs Central Michigan?

I agree better recruiting does mean better offense. Ishmael and Phillips were two good recruits and were probably two of our best offensive players and consistently. Long wasn't horrible and has shown flashes. Of the freshman they recruited they have shown to be an upgrade in terms of production.
Long threw soft lobs to linebackers. That's horrible, flashes or no flashes.

OrangePA said:
Better recruiting equals better offense.
This where I photoshop gergs head on the edsall waving pic.

Look at TCU

One year swing isn't recruiting

jury is still out on this---i am also concerned about their talent evaluation as well as coaching ability---on the offense and game day decisions. where was aam all year???

Besides the LS did we get any commits I missed? The JUCO TE isn't a gamebreaker unless we got some 3 star recruits I am missing what is the OP's point?

Besides the LS did we get any commits I missed? The JUCO TE isn't a gamebreaker unless we got some 3 star recruits I am missing what is the OP's point?

I think he's saying that the recruits who were up this weekend had nothing but positive things to say about the coaching staff. Regarding how many recruits did we get from this weekend, how about we wait more than 24 hours to see the results.

I think he's saying that the recruits who were up this weekend had nothing but positive things to say about the coaching staff. Regarding how many recruits did we get from this weekend, how about we wait more than 24 hours to see the results.
I am okay being patient, but I don't expect the recruits who are pampered, treated like kings on official visits to say anything but positive things. If they don't then the staff shouldn't still be around. I don't think the fact the staff had nice things said about them means they are great recruiters. If they get several of the apparent 14 recruits on official visits to commit then of course credit will be due.

Greg Robinson was a horrible coach but he still got Delone Carter, Ryan Nassib, Alec Lemon, Justin Pugh, Chandler Jones, Marcus Sales, Mike Williams via recruiting.

21 commits prior to September, 23 if you count the decommits, whether you like them or not the staff obviously did.

No Syracuse Football team has been close to that type of a number at that point, ever.

I know NSD is a long ways away and recruiting cycles have become much more accelerated in the past decade, but, the staff still identified who they wanted and went out and got them.

So, as for the OP, he's correct. This staff can recruit.

We are one of two ACC schools the other is Virginia Tech without a single ESPN 300 recruit. We have 24 commits right now, but according to ESPN we have the 12th best ACC recruiting class. The ACC has 9 schools in the top 40. I don't think our staff is great at recruiting. They accepted commitments early this year, but this class is just okay which for a 3-9 is good, but not for a team that went to 3 bowls in the previous 4 years.

I give them credit for getting the class done early, but its not a drop dead great class which we should be thankful our coaches are great recruiting. It is full of 3 stars which is good, but not this staff hasn't proven they are great yet.

Recruiting refers to attracting candidates. Doesn't matter if their ESPN #1 or #421, because I'm sure that those rankings will pan out. The staff identified and sold who they wanted, that's recruiting.

Maybe next time they'll continue to check $cout and R!vals Rankings to make sure the masses are appeased.

Which, by the way, Scout has us rated as high as we've ever been since they've kept track this year.

We are one of two ACC schools the other is Virginia Tech without a single ESPN 300 recruit. We have 24 commits right now, but according to ESPN we have the 12th best ACC recruiting class. The ACC has 9 schools in the top 40. I don't think our staff is great at recruiting. They accepted commitments early this year, but this class is just okay which for a 3-9 is good, but not for a team that went to 3 bowls in the previous 4 years.

I give them credit for getting the class done early, but its not a drop dead great class which we should be thankful our coaches are great recruiting. It is full of 3 stars which is good, but not this staff hasn't proven they are great yet.

I'm just hoping we're going for some SEC-style oversigning. Let's get sketchy and win some games.

It doesn't matter the level of recruits we get if the coaches can't put them in a position to succeed. The offense was an absolute disaster this year. Shafer is really putting all his eggs in one basket with lester. No way he keeps his job if the offense doesn't improve tenfold.

Recruiting refers to attracting candidates. Doesn't matter if their ESPN #1 or #421, because I'm sure that those rankings will pan out. The staff identified and sold who they wanted, that's recruiting.

Maybe next time they'll continue to check $cout and R!vals Rankings to make sure the masses are appeased.

Which, by the way, Scout has us rated as high as we've ever been since they've kept track this year.
Listen I am glad we have a full class, but how are supposed to judge these classes? I go by ESPN because they aren't subscription based like rivals. and $cout sucks IMO.

Our class is the largest in the ACC right now and its in the bottom half of the conference. If SS was pulling in Delone Carter's or Marcus Sales who were 4 star recruits he would get more credit. Hell during his own PC during this season HCSS said he likes recruiting under-recruited kids and developing them like we are a freaking MAC school.

Listen I am glad we have a full class, but how are supposed to judge these classes? I go by ESPN because they aren't subscription based like rivals. and $cout sucks IMO.

Our class is the largest in the ACC right now and its in the bottom half of the conference. If SS was pulling in Delone Carter's or Marcus Sales who were 4 star recruits he would get more credit. Hell during his own PC during this season HCSS said he likes recruiting under-recruited kids and developing them like we are a freaking MAC school.

My only point is that they identified who they wanted and got them. In essence, that tells me they can recruit.

In terms of whether or not they'll pan out, who the hell knows. I completely agree that you cant judge these classes at this point, or quite honestly, probably for the majority of the next 3 years.

Delone Carter was a solid pickup, Marcus Sales, not so much. For every Carter there are 4 Averin Colliers, Lavar Lobdells, Marcus Sales and David Oku's. Stars be damned.

And part of the reason Shafer says what he says is because he needs to appease the fan base when they're constantly screaming over star ratings. The reality is that it's hard to get kids here, especially the cream of the crop.

My only point is that they identified who they wanted and got them. In essence, that tells me they can recruit.

In terms of whether or not they'll pan out, who the hell knows. I completely agree that you cant judge these classes at this point, or quite honestly, probably for the majority of the next 3 years.

Delone Carter was a solid pickup, Marcus Sales, not so much. For every Carter there are 4 Averin Colliers, Lavar Lobdells, Marcus Sales and David Oku's. Stars be damned.

And part of the reason Shafer says what he says is because he needs to appease the fan base when they're constantly screaming over star ratings. The reality is that it's hard to get kids here, especially the cream of the crop.
I agree getting 5 star kids is impossible. However, we could definitely get 4 star kids. We are in a P5 league and have some pluses on our side. Scott Shafer has lost a lot of the fanbase and sorry he isn't appeasing the fan base by telling us we are going for underrecruited kids he is making excuses for himself or isn't smart. I don't want to hear my coach say we go after unbderrecruited kids and coach them up we are a Syracuse not Western Michigan. Are we going to get the kids Florida State/Alabama/Ohio State/Notre Dame want? No, but we should be on par with West Virginia, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Rutgers who all get 4 star kids. Hell, Wake Forest has 1 ESPN 300 commit and they are worse than us.

This staff hasn't proven they are great recruiters yet.

Alsacs said:
Listen I am glad we have a full class, but how are supposed to judge these classes? I go by ESPN because they aren't subscription based like rivals. and $cout sucks IMO. Our class is the largest in the ACC right now and its in the bottom half of the conference. If SS was pulling in Delone Carter's or Marcus Sales who were 4 star recruits he would get more credit. Hell during his own PC during this season HCSS said he likes recruiting under-recruited kids and developing them like we are a freaking MAC school.

1. Everyone always wishes they were better at recruiting. I don't think Shafer and co would sit back and say they have reached some sort of pinnacle. They can be good recruiters who are attempting to get better each year. It's not: good or bad. Tons of gray. I'd say after one good class and the kids we have verballed right now - they are decent/good, and we'll see how it pans out.

2. Who would you rather have: Steve Ishmael or Marcus Sales? I'd take 3-star Ish.

3. He didn't say he liked taking under-recruited kids over highly-rated kids. He said they'd shoot for the highest guys on their board - but they don't mind taking kids who love the game, will work hard, and may not be as highly rated. By all accounts, they've hit on a bunch of the kids they targeted early (similar to last season, though not quite as many).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom