Say what you want about our coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you want about our coaches

Alsacs said:
I agree getting 5 star kids is impossible. However, we could definitely get 4 star kids. We are in a P5 league and have some pluses on our side. Scott Shafer has lost a lot of the fanbase and sorry he isn't appeasing the fan base by telling us we are going for underrecruited kids he is making excuses for himself or isn't smart. I don't want to hear my coach say we go after unbderrecruited kids and coach them up we are a Syracuse not Western Michigan. Are we going to get the kids Florida State/Alabama/Ohio State/Notre Dame want? No, but we should be on par with West Virginia, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Rutgers who all get 4 star kids. Hell, Wake Forest has 1 ESPN 300 commit and they are worse than us. This staff hasn't proven they are great recruiters yet.

Also: MAC schools are not sniffing most of our kids. These recruits are not the 2 star MAC kids we were getting prior.

I don't want specific names, but anyone know how many of the commits are going to be down to the wire for qualifying? How many are starting in Jan.?

I am sorry but this coaching staff is adequate at best at recruiting. Are they better than Marrone? Sure, but they have the ACC affilation and Marrone wasn't good at recruiting. Are they better than Greg Robinson? I don't think they have proven that yet.

Our best recruiters are George McDonald and Bobby Acosta. Acosta hopefully remains as he is doing well in NJ, but McDonald may be gone. Lester hasn't shown me anything. Daoust has been solid not great. This staff should be on par with Pittsburgh and Boston College and we are not. I don't want to hear our staff or the band is great at recruiting they are still bottom third of the ACC.

I am sorry but this coaching staff is adequate at best at recruiting. Are they better than Marrone? Sure, but they have the ACC affilation and Marrone wasn't good at recruiting. Are they better than Greg Robinson? I don't think they have proven that yet.

Our best recruiters are George McDonald and Bobby Acosta. Acosta hopefully remains as he is doing well in NJ, but McDonald may be gone. Lester hasn't shown me anything. Daoust has been solid not great. This staff should be on par with Pittsburgh and Boston College and we are not. I don't want to hear our staff or the band is great at recruiting they are still bottom third of the ACC.
Honest question, because this keeps coming up. Name a coach, known for recruiting, that you think could start landing "4-star prospects" at Syracuse tomorrow.

Honest question, because this keeps coming up. Name a coach, known for recruiting, that you think could start landing "4-star prospects" at Syracuse tomorrow.
Doc Holiday at Marshall. He recruits the hell out of Florida. He did it for Florida, West Virginia, and now as the HC of Marshall.
He makes 650k a year. We could add a million dollars to his current salary and double his coaching staff budget and that could recruit FL for SU.
He would use SU as a springboard to nan even bigger job but he would bring in talent.

Doc Holiday at Marshall. He recruits the hell out of Florida. He did it for Florida, West Virginia, and now as the HC of Marshall.
He makes 650k a year. We could add a million dollars to his current salary and double his coaching staff budget and that could recruit FL for SU.
He would use SU as a springboard to nan even bigger job but he would bring in talent.
He had Rakeem Cato.

Give cuse him and see what happens..

orangepassion said:
How many guys do we have in this class with multiple Power 5 offers?

Don't have the time to look it up - but a high %. It's a little unfair of a question in that some of these kids committed so early and fully - that no one is offering. NYS player of the year for example.

They also don't play the same schedule SU's offense did. How did the SU offense do vs Central Michigan?

Not only that, Villanova is the best FCS team in the history of the world.

Srs.

To me a good recruiter at Syracuse is a couple of "4 star prospects" and the majority of your class having at least a couple of other offers from Power 5 schools. I don't think they're bad recruiters, but i don't think they're great. it doesn't help when you finish 3-9.

I didn't ask to poke holes in a candidate, was more interested in seeing what kind of coach you were imagining. Urban Meyer, for instance? Ed Orgeron? Holliday is a good answer, more in line with what is reasonable.

I checked Skowt for the last 3 years (including this one) and the class rankings, including number of 4-star signees, for Marshall and us is:

2013: SU 73(0), Marshall 71(1)
2014: SU 53(1), Marshall 65(1)
2015: SU 38(0), Marshall 77(0)

Maybe it is harder for him to recruit kids to Marshall than it was at previous gigs? I think that problem will not get much easier at SU for him.

247 said Cato was 6'0" 160 pound QB his senior HS year. He was a 3 star rated 80 and ranked 167 in FL, 398 in the US, and 13th best dual threat QB in the US. He was 3 star by riva*s. ESPN had him at 5'11" 165 pounds as a 2 star rated 72 and ranked 116th best QB and 732 best recruit in the region. Only other offers were Cincinnati and Florida Int.

AJ Long got offers also from UCLA, Arizona, Ohio and USF. Riva*s had him at 6'2" and 190 pounds at 3 stars and 20th best recruit in Tennessee. ESPN had him at 6'0" and 180 pounds as a 4 star rated at 80, 15th best QB, 191 in his region, and Tennessee's 9th best recruit. Sco*t said 2 stars.

AJ was a more highly regarded recruit. My only point is that AJ Long and every other dang QB we've had here since Nassib left has been hampered by our wicked weak offensive coaching staff. Cato at SU would not likely be the star he has been the past couple years. I don't think the problem is the talent being brought in. I think without even half way decent offensive coaching/play calling/game coaching/scheming, they look like they are all bad high school QBs. I think if we hired one competent damn OC with this talent level, we don't just rise up 25 spots in offensive production rank -- we rise up to above average offensive production.

CanadianSU said:
He had Rakeem Cato. Give cuse him and see what happens..
Who recruited Cato and what kind of system did they run? I suspect it wasn't just luck that brought him

Not only that, Villanova is the best FCS team in the history of the world.

Srs.

Well we saw what happens when Hunt went out (which also happened for half the Nova game) and the defense is the one that really struggled vs Nova.

It's hard to get too excited about recruiting when the rest of the conference is lapping us and we have a coaching staff that has yet to document an ability to maximize talent and out scheme its competitors.

There had better be some 4-stars-in-the-rough in this class, because it is otherwise unimpressive.

NKR1978 said:
It's hard to get too excited about recruiting when the rest of the conference is lapping us and we have a coaching staff that has yet to document an ability to maximize talent and out scheme its competitors.

The defense begs to differ.

So everyone is saying that teams like Florida Atlantic, UAB, Massachusetts, Rice, Buffalo, and Middle Tennessee... who are all 20 - 40 points higher than us in offensive efficiency. They all recruit better than we do? So if we recruit better we should be better at offense than teams like that? Should be exciting in a couple years when we get those recruits in.

Willing to bet that without injuries and playing their schedules, our efficiency would also be 20-40 points higher.

247 said Cato was 6'0" 160 pound QB his senior HS year. He was a 3 star rated 80 and ranked 167 in FL, 398 in the US, and 13th best dual threat QB in the US. He was 3 star by riva*s. ESPN had him at 5'11" 165 pounds as a 2 star rated 72 and ranked 116th best QB and 732 best recruit in the region. Only other offers were Cincinnati and Florida Int.

AJ Long got offers also from UCLA, Arizona, Ohio and USF. Riva*s had him at 6'2" and 190 pounds at 3 stars and 20th best recruit in Tennessee. ESPN had him at 6'0" and 180 pounds as a 4 star rated at 80, 15th best QB, 191 in his region, and Tennessee's 9th best recruit. Sco*t said 2 stars.

AJ was a more highly regarded recruit. My only point is that AJ Long and every other dang QB we've had here since Nassib left has been hampered by our wicked weak offensive coaching staff. Cato at SU would not likely be the star he has been the past couple years. I don't think the problem is the talent being brought in. I think without even half way decent offensive coaching/play calling/game coaching/scheming, they look like they are all bad high school QBs. I think if we hired one competent damn OC with this talent level, we don't just rise up 25 spots in offensive production rank -- we rise up to above average offensive production.
and it's not like marshall has stud WR either

The defense begs to differ.
Teams don't win a lot of games relying on their defense. TCU which has been one of the best defensive teams in the country had the HC Gary Patterson realized he needed more offense.

Our defense BTW wasn't great. It was okay and compared to the clusterf@ck that was our offense looked like the 1985 Bears D. Our D played hard but they weren't great and BTW we are losing Crume/Reddish/Lynch/Davis.

Our recruiting is nothing special. I like the class, but its not top 40 according to ESPN.

Dungey's best offers Colorado State, Nevada, Syracuse
Strickland(our best recruit IMO) best offers Georgia Tech, Virginia, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Syracuse
Blair's best offers Purdue, Toledo, Kent State, Syracuse
Clausman's best offers Purdue, Syracuse
Conway's best offers Illinois, Rutgers, Syracuse
Hofrichter's best offers Syracuse
Perkins's best offers Syracuse
Cross's best offers Syracuse
Duerig's best offers Syracuse
Henderson Jr's best offers Nebraska, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Syracuse
Spence's best offers Indiana, South Alabama, Syracuse
Levine's best offers UAB, Alcorn State, Syracuse
Christopher Frederick's best offers Georgia Tech, Old Dominion, Syracuse
Jordan Ferdericks best offers Temple, Stony Brook, Syracuse
Ellison's best offers Boston College, Rutgers, Army, Syracuse
Adams best offers Maryland, UMass, UConn, Syracuse
Ginnetti's best offers Illinois, Buffalo, Syracuse
Cullen's best offers UMass, UNH, Syracuse
Davis's best offers West Virginia, Pitt, Cincinnati, USF, Syracuse
Giudice's best offers Syracuse
Byrne's best offers Syracuse
Dunkelberger's best offers Cincinnati, USF, Louisville, Syracuse
Keller's best offers Syracuse.

Teams don't win a lot of games relying on their defense. TCU which has been one of the best defensive teams in the country had the HC Gary Patterson realized he needed more offense.

Our defense BTW wasn't great. It was okay and compared to the clusterf@ck that was our offense looked like the 1985 Bears D. Our D played hard but they weren't great and BTW we are losing Crume/Reddish/Lynch/Davis.

Our recruiting is nothing special. I like the class, but its not top 40 according to ESPN.

Dungey's best offers Colorado State, Nevada, Syracuse
Strickland(our best recruit IMO) best offers Georgia Tech, Virginia, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Syracuse
Blair's best offers Purdue, Toledo, Kent State, Syracuse
Clausman's best offers Purdue, Syracuse
Conway's best offers Illinois, Rutgers, Syracuse
Hofrichter's best offers Syracuse
Perkins's best offers Syracuse
Cross's best offers Syracuse
Duerig's best offers Syracuse
Henderson Jr's best offers Nebraska, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Syracuse
Spence's best offers Indiana, South Alabama, Syracuse
Levine's best offers UAB, Alcorn State, Syracuse
Christopher Frederick's best offers Georgia Tech, Old Dominion, Syracuse
Jordan Ferdericks best offers Temple, Stony Brook, Syracuse
Ellison's best offers Boston College, Rutgers, Army, Syracuse
Adams best offers Maryland, UMass, UConn, Syracuse
Ginnetti's best offers Illinois, Buffalo, Syracuse
Cullen's best offers UMass, UNH, Syracuse
Davis's best offers West Virginia, Pitt, Cincinnati, USF, Syracuse
Giudice's best offers Syracuse
Byrne's best offers Syracuse
Dunkelberger's best offers Cincinnati, USF, Louisville, Syracuse
Keller's best offers Syracuse.
Rival ranking #50, dead last in the ACC. Just sayin'

Alsacs said:
Teams don't win a lot of games relying on their defense. TCU which has been one of the best defensive teams in the country had the HC Gary Patterson realized he needed more offense. Our defense BTW wasn't great. It was okay and compared to the clusterf@ck that was our offense looked like the 1985 Bears D. Our D played hard but they weren't great and BTW we are losing Crume/Reddish/Lynch/Davis. Our recruiting is nothing special. I like the class, but its not top 40 according to ESPN. Dungey's best offers Colorado State, Nevada, Syracuse Strickland(our best recruit IMO) best offers Georgia Tech, Virginia, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Syracuse Blair's best offers Purdue, Toledo, Kent State, Syracuse Clausman's best offers Purdue, Syracuse Conway's best offers Illinois, Rutgers, Syracuse Hofrichter's best offers Syracuse Perkins's best offers Syracuse Cross's best offers Syracuse Duerig's best offers Syracuse Henderson Jr's best offers Nebraska, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Syracuse Spence's best offers Indiana, South Alabama, Syracuse Levine's best offers UAB, Alcorn State, Syracuse Christopher Frederick's best offers Georgia Tech, Old Dominion, Syracuse Jordan Ferdericks best offers Temple, Stony Brook, Syracuse Ellison's best offers Boston College, Rutgers, Army, Syracuse Adams best offers Maryland, UMass, UConn, Syracuse Ginnetti's best offers Illinois, Buffalo, Syracuse Cullen's best offers UMass, UNH, Syracuse Davis's best offers West Virginia, Pitt, Cincinnati, USF, Syracuse Giudice's best offers Syracuse Byrne's best offers Syracuse Dunkelberger's best offers Cincinnati, USF, Louisville, Syracuse Keller's best offers Syracuse.

I was responding to the remark about our coaches not getting a lot out of the talent scheme wise. Our defense gets every ounce of talent and applies it correctly schematically.

Alsacs said:
Teams don't win a lot of games relying on their defense. TCU which has been one of the best defensive teams in the country had the HC Gary Patterson realized he needed more offense. Our defense BTW wasn't great. It was okay and compared to the clusterf@ck that was our offense looked like the 1985 Bears D. Our D played hard but they weren't great and BTW we are losing Crume/Reddish/Lynch/Davis. Our recruiting is nothing special. I like the class, but its not top 40 according to ESPN. Dungey's best offers Colorado State, Nevada, Syracuse Strickland(our best recruit IMO) best offers Georgia Tech, Virginia, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Syracuse Blair's best offers Purdue, Toledo, Kent State, Syracuse Clausman's best offers Purdue, Syracuse Conway's best offers Illinois, Rutgers, Syracuse Hofrichter's best offers Syracuse Perkins's best offers Syracuse Cross's best offers Syracuse Duerig's best offers Syracuse Henderson Jr's best offers Nebraska, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Syracuse Spence's best offers Indiana, South Alabama, Syracuse Levine's best offers UAB, Alcorn State, Syracuse Christopher Frederick's best offers Georgia Tech, Old Dominion, Syracuse Jordan Ferdericks best offers Temple, Stony Brook, Syracuse Ellison's best offers Boston College, Rutgers, Army, Syracuse Adams best offers Maryland, UMass, UConn, Syracuse Ginnetti's best offers Illinois, Buffalo, Syracuse Cullen's best offers UMass, UNH, Syracuse Davis's best offers West Virginia, Pitt, Cincinnati, USF, Syracuse Giudice's best offers Syracuse Byrne's best offers Syracuse Dunkelberger's best offers Cincinnati, USF, Louisville, Syracuse Keller's best offers Syracuse.

Also - I wasn't basing my opinion of the defense to the offense - but to the rest of the country. We're #29.

If we had a better offense, our defense would be on the field less and probably be rated higher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom