Scott Shafer Updates Post Spring Depth Chart | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer Updates Post Spring Depth Chart

He truly could play several positions but I'm going to guess he starts out as a RB this year and moves to HB next year when Washington gets here. I think he is a perfect fit for the HB position. He can hopefully put on another 10 lbs and be a do it all player from there. I think having a player who can be a fast elusive runner, a dynamic receiver and a solid blocker with decent size would make a huge impact on making Lesters offense go.
He just seems really good with the ball in his hands and I think he came hear partially because we are going to let him. I think we need to have two very good guys at that spot and its going to be a very critical position for the offense. Erv can't take all the snaps there. We have Erv, Broyld and Lewis all there this year. once he's been here for a while and know the offense better he could possibly also get some snaps at other offensive positions when not at HB.

That's a good point. Lester has commented on the increased use of a 2-TE set, yet the depth chart only has one slot listed. hmmm...

Yeah Just keeping Rhode Island on their toes. :)

Heck I'd love to see a 3 tight set with wide splits with Dunk, Custis and Parris/Enoicy and have all three go out for passes against a likely 5-2 or 4-4 defensive set. The D switches to nickel run the ball down their throat.

I'd really laugh if we go crazy and show a 3 Tight End, 1 HB in tight Double Wing offense set. Nobody with their spread offense killing defenses would know what to do, especially if we passed and ran plays to both the RB and HB out of it not to mention running Hunt.

Once again, Austin Wilson is the backup QB. (He got a concussion in the 6th game against FSU last year.) I have been a fan, and if something happens with/to Hunt, we will probably see Wilson. Something tells me he fits Lester's system - just a wild guess, but It looks like Lester likes him more than most fans. AJ will probably redshirt and who knows - it is possible he never sees the field again.

Last year Lester used some sort of grading system to determine who would start the Spring Game (AJ graded out the highest and got the start). I'm not sure if that's how he determined the back up again, or it's because AJ is redshirting this season? Either way Austin should be the only qb other then Hunt, who won't be using a redshirt, so there really isn't any other place to put him besides backup.

Last year Lester used some sort of grading system to determine who would start the Spring Game (AJ graded out the highest and got the start). I'm not sure if that's how he determined the back up again, or it's because AJ is redshirting this season? Either way Austin should be the only qb other then Hunt, who won't be using a redshirt, so there really isn't any other place to put him besides backup.

I think everyone has discounted the real possibility that Wison could be the starter next year. When we see Lester's offense we will see who really fits it. With RW a running QB may not be the best fit. Should get interesting.

I think everyone has discounted the real possibility that Wison could be the starter next year. When we see Lester's offense we will see who really fits it. With RW a running QB may not be the best fit. Should get interesting.

If Austin Wilson is starting, I'll go on record as saying we are in trouble next year.

Crusty said:

He's not the guy. Throws a pretty ball, but is horrible under pressure. Decision making issues too.

I think Dungey or Womack comes in and wins it. I also don't want to count out AJ. The kid works as hard as anyone.

TheCusian said:
He's not the guy. Throws a pretty ball, but is horrible under pressure. Decision making issues too. I think Dungey or Womack comes in and wins it. I also don't want to count out AJ. The kid works as hard as anyone.
Yep we're in big trouble if he's the guy in 2016. We need Womack or Dungey to emerge. Maybe even AJ, but Wilson isn't the answer.

We'll see, but we don't really know anything about Womack and Dungey yet (certainly not as true frosh). I don't see the point of AJ redshirting with what is underneath him. Everyone got all excited about AJ last year, but realistically he did not really show that much in the end. Personally, I though AJ looked like a HS kid among P5 players. Too small to sustain contact and a very average arm. His decision making was also very poor. Yes, he can develop, but it he is still #3 behind Hunt and Wilson it is not a good sign.

If memory serves me correctly, Hunt was hurt in the ND game and Wilson sustained a concussion in the 6th game against FSU. I really don't think we really know what he can do yet. Wilson has an arm that might be better than Nassib's and he has managed to hang on to the #2 spot, which says something. By next year Wilson should have Lester's offense down pat.

Don't be surprised to see Austin win the QB competition in 2016.

IMO, for 2015, Hunt is the solid number one, and that should be a given by now seeing that he went into last season as the number one, and although played poorly, was still hands down our best option.

Wilson is second on the depth chart purely because AJ is redshirting, because of the fact that he doesn't have D1 size yet and still has untapped potential based solely on this, and him having 3 years left of eligibility. IMO if he can't make the necessary leaps as a QB this year in the RS season, he will be a solid candidate to change positions, another reason why putting on size is necessary.

If both Hunt and Wilson go down, I believe that AJ's RS will have to be burned again, but the chances of losing both in back to back years is (knock on wood) slim.

Also, the two incoming freshman, Womack and Dungey, have to show up day one with a better chance to run the offense more efficiently than Hunt, to do anything other than redshirt, they have too much potential to waste a year as 3rd and 4th stringers while they learn the offense. This is not completely out of the question, but it takes a true student of the game along with a special player to take the reigns of the offense as a true freshman, one year removed from HS competition. A redshirt year could also prove beneficial to see if either of these two are better suited at different positions, such as Kevin Johnson and McNabb. But I am almost certain at least one of them will stick as a QB through their full time at the hill.

Last edited:
IMO, for 2016, Hunt is the solid number one, and that should be a given by now seeing that he went into last season as the number one, and although played poorly, was still hands down our best option.

Wilson is second on the depth chart purely because AJ is redshirting, because of the fact that he doesn't have D1 size yet and still has untapped potential based solely on this, and him having 3 years left of eligibility. IMO if he can't make the necessary leaps as a QB this year in the RS season, he will be a solid candidate to change positions, another reason why putting on size is necessary.

If both Hunt and Wilson go down, I believe that AJ's RS will have to be burned again, but the chances of losing both in back to back years is (knock on wood) slim.

Also, the two incoming freshman, Womack and Dungey, have to show up day one with a better chance to run the offense more efficiently than Hunt, to do anything other than redshirt, they have too much potential to waste a year as 3rd and 4th stringers while they learn the offense. This is not completely out of the question, but it takes a true student of the game along with a special player to take the reigns of the offense as a true freshman, one year removed from HS competition. A redshirt year could also prove beneficial to see if either of these two are better suited at different positions, such as Kevin Johnson and McNabb. But I am almost certain at least one of them will stick as a QB through their full time at the hill.
I think you mean Hunt in 2015.

Crusty said:
We'll see, but we don't really know anything about Womack and Dungey yet (certainly not as true frosh). I don't see the point of AJ redshirting with what is underneath him. Everyone got all excited about AJ last year, but realistically he did not really show that much in the end. Personally, I though AJ looked like a HS kid among P5 players. Too small to sustain contact and a very average arm. His decision making was also very poor. Yes, he can develop, but it he is still #3 behind Hunt and Wilson it is not a good sign. If memory serves me correctly, Hunt was hurt in the ND game and Wilson sustained a concussion in the 6th game against FSU. I really don't think we really know what he can do yet. Wilson has an arm that might be better than Nassib's and he has managed to hang on to the #2 spot, which says something. By next year Wilson should have Lester's offense down pat. Don't be surprised to see Austin win the QB competition in 2016.

AJ was better than Wildon last year. Better in every way. Neither were good mind you...