SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023

For crying out loud, it is time to pay the student athletes!! The NCAA appears to have 100 percent Neanderthal DNA. I am not sure if the NCAA will go extinct, but it's days as-is must surely be numbered.

Here is an interesting quote from Outkick the Coverage (SEC homers):

"It’s harder to grow your brand with only one broadcast partner. Because now what incentive will Fox, NBC, or CBS have to promote the SEC? None at all. That’s why the NFL, Major League Baseball, the NBA, the Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12 and (likely the NHL in its next deal) all have multiple broadcast partners.

Second, for ABC/ESPN, this will lead to rampant charges of bias on the part of Disney/ESPN/ABC. Disney is now massively incentivized to promote the SEC; some would argue that promotion will come at the expense of other college leagues.

In a sport where perception is reality, that’s a major issue going forward.

Especially when other leagues may follow the SEC’s lead and pledge exclusive rights to individual networks. The Big Ten could end up all at Fox, the Pac 12 and Big 12 to CBS or NBC? (The ACC was already at ESPN)."

Here is an interesting quote from Outkick the Coverage (SEC homers):

"It’s harder to grow your brand with only one broadcast partner. Because now what incentive will Fox, NBC, or CBS have to promote the SEC? None at all. That’s why the NFL, Major League Baseball, the NBA, the Big Ten, Pac 12, Big 12 and (likely the NHL in its next deal) all have multiple broadcast partners.

Second, for ABC/ESPN, this will lead to rampant charges of bias on the part of Disney/ESPN/ABC. Disney is now massively incentivized to promote the SEC; some would argue that promotion will come at the expense of other college leagues.

In a sport where perception is reality, that’s a major issue going forward.

Especially when other leagues may follow the SEC’s lead and pledge exclusive rights to individual networks. The Big Ten could end up all at Fox, the Pac 12 and Big 12 to CBS or NBC? (The ACC was already at ESPN)."
CBS did nothing special for the SEC.
ESPN was already being notorious homers for the conference. Big Ten fans hate ESPN Gameday because of what they perceive as SEC heavy bias.

The Big Ten didn’t leave ESPN completely last contract because their coaches didn’t want to leave their exposure.
This was Disney protecting themselves from Amazon/Netflix steaming services.
NBC is happy with Notre Dame.
Fox would leave exclusive Big Ten rights.

The Big XII and ACC are owned by ESPN.
PAC-12 isn’t worth much unless USC becomes good again.

Yes, perception is important - maybe the ACC schools will do OK in the remaining bowls. FSU WILL be great again - they now have a very competent coaching staff in place from top to bottom and recruiting will uptick - that is clear from the class just salvaged. Taggert was a nice guy but I had no confidence in his assistant coaches - a number of them from USF stayed at Oregon and he brought in Kendall Briles and Randy Clements one year too late to save himself. If we beat Miami like a drum (as Clemson did causing them to fire Al Golden mid season) hasta la vista to the UM coaching staff - this is like a hanging mobile - one change here affects things elsewhere, and if one day Miami does come back fully they will be a terror again - the reason Florida stopped playing them after 1987.

North Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Louisville do have potential to be consistently good. I include UNC as they could be the dominant force in North Carolina FB over Duke, Wake Forest, and NC State. Clemson will remain great - their DC Venables is paid like a head coach and two of his sons will play there for the next 4 or 5 years.

I really don't feel bad about millionaire ex-coaches either - as Bobby Bowden once said "there are only two types of coaches, those who have been fired and those who will be fired" although I do feel FSU should have given him one more year after all he had done for them.

Last edited:
CBS did nothing special for the SEC.
ESPN was already being notorious homers for the conference. Big Ten fans hate ESPN Gameday because of what they perceive as SEC heavy bias.

The Big Ten didn’t leave ESPN completely last contract because their coaches didn’t want to leave their exposure.
This was Disney protecting themselves from Amazon/Netflix steaming services.
NBC is happy with Notre Dame.
Fox would leave exclusive Big Ten rights.

The Big XII and ACC are owned by ESPN.
PAC-12 isn’t worth much unless USC becomes good again.
I think Clay Travis (notorious SEC homer) is thinking about the future not just right now.

{snip}

North Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Louisville do have potential to be consistently good. I include UNC as they could be the dominant force in North Carolina FB over Duke, Wake Forest, and NC State. Clemson will remain great - their DC Venables is paid like a head coach and two of his sons will play there for the next 4 or 5 years.

{snip}
UNC has been a "sleeping giant" since they last won the ACC championship in 1980. It remains to be seen whether Mack 2.0 will produce the results of Mack 1.0 since more schools are coming into the ACC's home area to recruit. One of their prime recruiting areas was Tidewater Va (Lawrence Taylor). George Welsh, as UVa's coach, reduced that flow to a trickle, then VPI started going into that area quite heavily. Now, just about every school in the traditional East and Southeast is recruiting there. Plus, the notorious AFAM classes were designed to keep their players eligible. They're now gone.

had a great season, probably had a 3-4 win team win 7 and thats tough to do..

Can the ACC keep up with this kind of money? What will the big state school football teams think of not getting an equal piece of that revenue? The BIG12 and the PAC12 are in the same boat, while the B1G is on par with the SEC. Could create a shakeout.

Holy crap, CBS offered nearly a 6X jump and the SEC said no? CBS knows how much revenue they generate off of these games. It doesn't make sense for them to keep them if they're not getting what they need.

Sheldon 'Shelly' Marcone: Joe, have you ever heard of the Senate's Commission to Investigate Gambling in Professional Sports?

Joe Hallenbeck: Is that who you're payin' off?

Sheldon 'Shelly' Marcone: The commission's gonna vote next March. I got every one of 'em in my hip pocket, except Senator Calvin Baynard. I tried to bribe that son of a bitch, Joe. He gave it back because it wasn't enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom