Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had shooters last year (aw, lydon, thompson, battle) and sucked
A million percent agree...we had zero offensive balance! If we couldn't knock down threes we were getting crushed.

The only thing I'll add, is shooting and offense aside...last years team sucked almost entirely due to horrendous defense! The other part of the reason, was predicable one dimensional offense.

A million percent agree...we had zero offensive balance! If we couldn't knock down threes we were getting crushed.

The only thing I'll add, is shooting and offense aside...last years team sucked almost entirely due to horrendous defense! The other part of the reason, was predicable one dimensional offense.

And the other part was poor or inconsistent lead guard play.

And the other part was poor or inconsistent lead guard play.
Yeah, I kind of grouped that into the one dimensional stuff. Pass the ball around the outside, go iso and shoot up a contested jumper. No one really leading the offense.

IMG_2610.PNG
FWIW, same guy who said Swider was headed to Cuse a few days ago

Shooting is by far the top asset to having a good college offense.

Bigs that can post are very few to find nowadays. If you have them and you are a P5 team you are likely a title contender.

Last year we had small guards and bigs that couldn't rebound. The zone relies on forcing turnovers and making timely rebounds. Our offense and shooting was our saving grace. The change from Howard to
Gillon stretched the floor.

We need bigs like Swider. I don't want raw athletes unless they are Josh Jackson types. My NBA the Celtics were loaded with athletes and needed shooting so while I hated them passing on Fultz I liked Tatum more than Josh Jackson who can't shoot well.

Swider would be a killer loss. Buddy Boeheim can be a Patrick Belein type depth player but counting on him wouldn't be smart. What the assignments for our assistant coaches in recruiting right now?

Shooting is by far the top asset to having a good college offense.

Bigs that can post are very few to find nowadays. If you have them and you are a P5 team you are likely a title contender.

Last year we had small guards and bigs that couldn't rebound. The zone relies on forcing turnovers and making timely rebounds. Our offense and shooting was our saving grace. The change from Howard to
Gillon stretched the floor.

We need bigs like Swider. I don't want raw athletes unless they are Josh Jackson types. My NBA the Celtics were loaded with athletes and needed shooting so while I hated them passing on Fultz I liked Tatum more than Josh Jackson who can't shoot well.

Swider would be a killer loss. Buddy Boeheim can be a Patrick Belein type depth player but counting on him wouldn't be smart. What the assignments for our assistant coaches in recruiting right now?

Patrick Belein -- that's a MUCH better comparison than Andy Rautins. Thanks for coming up with that.

Swider is the superior shooter, but Baze is a bit underrated from deep. He has a slow release, but can shoot the ball. That said, we definitely need a shooter like Swider who is a 3 with great size, to me. Though, he could be a stretch 4 with that size, and our system.

The frontcourt is already loaded, but why can't we have UNC like depth for once.

Bazley could play the 4/5. Swider the 3/4. Who knows who is here next year, so load on up. Add on a PG, Buddy, and anything else is gravy.

I think HW can play the 2 so our depth would be fine. Though, JW would be nice too, as Buddy will need time. Hughes probably steps right in just fine, and HW could give minutes if need be. Hopefully we just land these guys, but something interesting always has to happen.

How good is Buddy though? It sounds like he's a great shooter but how good of a basketball player is he? I haven't seen him play so am legitimately asking. Would we discuss him half as much as we do if his last name was Smith? I've seen he has an offer from UMass but don't see him ranked anywhere on any of the sites. Maybe I'm wrong so someone can post a link. I wouldn't be excited or feel great if we were recruiting Buddy Smith who has our "hypothetical offer" and only one other D1 offer from a middle of the road A-10 team as a kid who "is actually very important".

Again, not a knock at Buddy at all because I haven't seen him play so I can't give an opinion. I'm just trying to look at it objectively and separate the actual ability of the player from the emotional draw of being excited by the unique situation. Because ultimately we need a team of players who can produce and win games and we aren't going to get any extra points on the scoreboard just because it's fun that our head coach's son is playing for us.
3 thoughts on Buddy:
  • I agree that he's getting overhyped because of his last name
  • Maybe other schools aren't even bothering offering him b/c they assume he's going to SU, or don't want to interact w/ JB (haha)
  • I think a lot of people see a 6'5 white guard from Jamesville-DeWitt and are 100% sure he'll be Andy Rautins
That said, he could end up being very good. I know he's shooting very well in AAU, but haven't seen him dribble/drive against pressure defense or a 6'7 wing. Maybe he can. I'm hoping he turns out to be a great player, because he's the closest thing to "he's a lock" that SU has ever had.

Swider is the superior shooter, but Baze is a bit underrated from deep. He has a slow release, but can shoot the ball. That said, we definitely need a shooter like Swider who is a 3 with great size, to me. Though, he could be a stretch 4 with that size, and our system.

The frontcourt is already loaded, but why can't we have UNC like depth for once.

Bazley could play the 4/5. Swider the 3/4. Who knows who is here next year, so load on up. Add on a PG, Buddy, and anything else is gravy.

I think HW can play the 2 so our depth would be fine. Though, JW would be nice too, as Buddy will need time. Hughes probably steps right in just fine, and HW could give minutes if need be. Hopefully we just land these guys, but something interesting always has to happen.

Bazley shot 30% from 3 in EYBL. That's not underrated. That's below average.

Just talked with my uncle who is a sports writer at the Projo and he talked with Leo Papile who told him he believes Swider is going to Xavier.

I just talked to someone who says that Cole has not told anyone, including his parents, where he is going. FWIW.
I got different info from someone who talked to his AAU coach.

I hope this kid pulls a reverse Quade Green though.

I just talked to someone who says that Cole has not told anyone, including his parents, where he is going. FWIW.

I want to believe this but i sensw his parents know unless hes undecided.

I got different info from someone who talked to his AAU coach.

I hope this kid pulls a reverse Quade Green though.
Funny, so did I. I'm not saying he is going to Syracuse. Last night they discussed it in great detail.

That's fine, but at some point we need to sign guys who can consistently knock down shots. We didn't in 2017
well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

We've seen what happens when you construct teams that do most of their damage in the paint. (See 2013-2015).
those teams featured Trevor Cooney, who when he was recruited was supposed to be one of the top shooters in the country but turned out to be "shakey potatoes."

So, you never know. The coaches just have to do what they do - evaluate kids, get the best fits they can for the system and then try to coach them up

And then we do what we do - worry and complain at every step along the process!:noidea:

well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

those teams featured Trevor Cooney, who when he was recruited was supposed to be one of the top shooters in the country but turned out to be "shakey potatoes."

So, you never know. The coaches just have to do what they do - evaluate kids, get the best fits they can for the system and then try to coach them up

And then we do what we do - worry and complain at every step along the process!:noidea:

The issue is we are not recruiting a great shooter outside of Swider (and Buddy, if you want to call him a recruit). We are doing our recruiting to zone length thing as usual.

[Q
The issue is we are not recruiting a great shooter outside of Swider (and Buddy, if you want to call him a recruit). We are doing our recruiting to zone length thing as usual.
my point is that you never know what you are going to end up with. Cooney was supposed to be a knock down shooter and not much else; he ended up being a versatile guard and a very inconsistent shooter.
Swider might end up being a 30% shooter, while Bazley or whoever ends up shooting 37% or better. Dolezaj and Hughes might end up being knock down shooters.

I just think its unnecessary to fret and worry so much and instead just watch to see how it plays out, which is often quite different than how the "experts" told us it would be

No doubt zone fit seems to trump offensive skill set for a while now. But, I am encouraged that maybe this year's class signals a move to O with the length rather than the other way around. Brissett, MD, Sidibe, and, to a lesser extent, Washington, are skilled on O. No knock down shooters...yet.

Buddy will help - if nothing else, the D will need to account for him on the perimeter because he is a great shooter, not just a good shooter. Carey and Duke are scoring combos. Swider is a shooter with length; Brazley is highly skilled. Let's hope this is a trend.

One thing for certain...you need to score to compete at the top of the ACC.

Just talked with my uncle who is a sports writer at the Projo and he talked with Leo Papile who told him he believes Swider is going to Xavier.

Bill Reynolds? If Leo said it, I 100% believe it. He's dialed into the recruiting world up here.

Has anyone mentioned Chris Herren's kid yet? Does he have a shot at playing bigtime hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom